1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin was overconfident, again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am not going to coin overconfidence as what the issue here is. How can this be so after what you posted, plus 2017, plus we just got embarrassed beyond all recognition in losing to the Bungles backup qb. Any Pee Wee coach would make sure this wouldn't happen again. I just don't see where or how this is possible. I am leaning more to arrogance. Refusing to adapt, adjust, do real no sh!t game planning and preparation, cultural overhaul. The intellectually limited HC and his staff just go into the next engagement with the same strategy/ tactics, same lack of preparation, same everything, and expect to win. This includes continued idiocy of our coaches and players acting similarly in embarrassing ways between games as well. In the meantime, other teams are doing those things and we look like a bunch of idiots that are 0-11 and not the other way around. If it we true that we were over confident after the Cinci game, that, to me, would be unimaginable. I see many post here how we dinked and dunked and it worked until, you guessed it, other teams adjusted. What did we do differently, not a damn thing but still expected it to work. This team needs a whole new leadership staff, and most importantly, a new HC that will get back the control from Ben and reestablish a proper culture from the Tomlin buddy club. Not sure what year this will happen so don't hold your breath.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Of course he didn't expect to be in that position, you want a HC to go into a playoff game thinking he's going to lose the game :facepalm:. They didn't lose because of overconfidence, they lost because the franchise QB threw 3 ints in the first half.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. djac111

djac111 Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I just don't understand ... We lost because BEN THREW 4 INTERCEPTIONS !!! we lost because our all pro center gave them 6 points on the FIRST play of the game !!!, Tomlin over confident made us lose ?? Really ?? Blame Tomlin, it's becoming so easy .. Forget the Offensive line can't run block... Forget the WR's led the league in drops . Forget we lost Bush and Bud ..Forget we have safeties that can't tackle .. Just remember it's Tomlin fault because he was over confident !!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. RichD

RichD Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2019
    Tomlin will just be kicked upstairs to GM . Just wait and see , we have another 15 years of Tomlin ahead of us.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    That and the defense completely blew ass... guess who called the defense for that game lol

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Tomlin didn't expect his team to lose so he was overconfident? I get the frustration. I was writing that it was time to move on two years ago, but this thread is just ridiculous.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not just one game, it’s a pattern. They seem to take teams lightly.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yeah! Cowher never did that.......

• Like Like x 1
  9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I disagree. I think Tomlin says he respects his opponents when he talks to the media. Then in the locker room he sounds like JuJu and Ebron. His players are just repeating the nonsense the coach said

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    No discipline players coach and we are surprised?? He says the same thing at every season ending press conference and yet we expect something different.

11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I swear people watch the games and don't see what happened. The freaking turnovers were to much to over come. That's execution 101. Execution 100%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Oh, there is definitely a pattern of playing down to the competition, but I see absolutely nothing that shows Tomlin being overconfident going into the game against the Browns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    I remember Tuitt tweeting that it should be an easy win against the Ravens (rescheduled thanksgiving game) and they played like absolute trash in that game.

A rebuild would be moot if this guy is still the head coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The players were trying to execute a game plan that had been exposed and exploited for 6 straight games.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Again, it’s more than just one game. At some point you have to look to the coaching.

If coaching is never to blame, why is there so much turnover at the position.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    I agree. Last week’s game is not a stand alone issue. It’s an example of many failures

17. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Coaching had it's share of the blame. When players don't take care of the ball then that's on the players.

I don't think I need to answer why there's so much turnover with players and coaches in the NFL.

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It makes sense everyone blames the coach. What about the players that came out playing piss poor? If you get millions of dollars a year to play a football game, be a professional and show the hell up.

Ebron should be cut for how many drops he had this year. Pouncey forgot how to hike a ball shotgun.

A coach shouldn't have to hold a tight ends hand to catch the damn ball he's getting millions of are a year to do so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t say anything about player turnover but I’ll answer the question for you, coaches get fired because they aren’t getting the job done.

When you have players saying this is a pad your stats game, they might be a tad overconfident, you need to treat every opponent as if it’s the best team out there. That mindset comes from the coach.

20. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    What job is the measure of not getting the job done? My realistic standard might be different than others.

If it's winning the Superbowl the Steelers have failed to win the Superbowl since 2008. You'd think that people would realize how extremely difficult it is to win the Superbowl by now. So I will take the competitive and winning seasons until the Steelers can build another Superbowl winner.

I don't care what players say about padding stats. I am 100% certain that players talk about that type of stuff in the locker room, outside of the games, or regardless of what coaches teach them or say. That mindset doesn't simply come from the HC. Players are people and are entitled to their opinions.

If you listened to Tomlin over the years he has confidence but also has respect for the opposition.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I agree Ben has his issues but it’s gonna be a long drought once he leaves. Remember how many QBs we went thru betw Bradshaw to Ben

22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Aside from the drops how many drives did he kill with stupid penalties, in fact the only offensive skill player in the league with more penalties is Michael Pittman, a rookie WR. And let’s not even get started on his blocking, remember that play against Washington where he checked out and allowed young to get the stop at the goal line.

I don’t know if it’s a mental thing with Ebron but he is really prone to costly errors and I don’t think he is going to change at this stage in his career. He has tremendous athletic ability and can get open like no other TE in the league but I do wonder if it’s worth keeping him around when you consider the total package.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Different times now. There are more QB’s coming out and they are better coached and more pro ready than ever before. Yes you still need to find a good one and that’s the most important task facing the firing office but I don’t agree with the assumption that a decade of mediocrity is inevitable once Ben leaves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agree to an extent, but the OC failed in many other ways and not just this year. At no point did I see anything from Fitchner that gave me confidence in him. Ever since he took over the job, we've been one of the worst rushing teams in the league. It wasn't just this year, it's been years of it now.

I liked the offence under Haley, but Ben hated him from day one so it was never going to work. Ben has been given too much power in this organization. That's one of the reasons I hope he doesn't come back. He's been part of the problem for a long time.

Ben gets us close, but his problems have contributed to our failures. Ben giveth and ben taketh away.

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Your realistic standard is different from a lot of GM’s too.

That’s good, the SB is extremely difficult to win so don’t dare change coaches to try and get there. Good plan.

You don’t care about what players say about padding stats and I don’t care about Tomlins lip service he plays for the media. I do care that his teams don’t show up for big games and keep bombing in the playoffs. Tomlin looked past the Jaguars too but I’m sure that means nothing, his players couldn’t possibly be influenced by the mindset he infuses into them.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1