1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Buds recovery

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’s got a lonnng way to go. Is he even expected to be ready by the start of the season? If not, it increases the chances of him being back here, can’t see anyone giving him a big long term contract without seeing how he plays after coming back.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’ll take him back. If we can retain this defense and get somewhat a line and not have randy, we may just not have a blowout loss in the first playoff game. Maybe a closer loss lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I wonder what his annual would be. If JuJu and Bud were both $14.5 million per year, who would you take? Some might think this is easy.

Consider:
    -Highsmith makes $1mil approx and he projects as starter-level talent

-Bud’s developed in sheer skills no question; still, his greatest asset is his athleticism. An ACL injury can certainly affect that

-JuJu is 24 and was a bit hamstrung by his system as a 6 yard slot target. Give him a normally functioning offense with a good line and complimentary receivers (he has the WRs for sure) and he’s proven he can be 100rec 1400yds+

My answer is: I want to lean towards Bud, but I genuinely don’t know

4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Thanks to today's Sports Medicine, ACL injuries are no longer the career killers they used to be. Heck, some athletes nowadays come back 100%. That said, what must be pointed out is the recovery time Bud needs to get healthy versus the preparation time Bud needs to get ready for the season. They are both different in terms of not just preparation itself but also repetition in terms of overall readiness.

I do wish we could keep him but I am not 100% sure as to how that will be possible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If Ben is back and we do this one more time, I sure hope we can bring Bud back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Recovery from ACL injuries tend to take a year. His injury was suffered late in the season, so realistically he can be expected to start the season on the PUP list and be activated sometime around mid-season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bringing Ben back hampers our ability to retain other players. His cap hit is ridiculous next year.

We can win with a good running game and a coach that utilizes Mason's strengths, as well as good defensive play

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Neither.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Unless you are Rod Woodson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    That’s what I’ve been saying. Great defense, good running game and masons bombs we can definitely do something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Was it worse than they thought? Did he wait? I've seen guys walking like THAT...1-2 weeks after the surgery

12. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    A dude that injured his ACL in a local YMCA basketball league who drinks Keystones and puts cigarettes out on himself doesn’t count :biggrin:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don't recall meeting you. Keep my business in house HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOVE me some stones

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe Bud will take a hometown discount on a 1 year deal :hehehe:.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bud to Steelers: Try and lowball me

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    All you need to get that is to start Mason. Right now, to me, until I SEE differently, Mason > Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Did either of them do anything the last 8 weeks, really, except throw on soft defenses when trailing by multiple scores?

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't see Bud worth $14.5 next year.

That video says we will not see bud on a playing field next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It’s looks like a long way back for him unfortunately. He should test free agency and probably take a short term deal somewhere, whether that’s Pittsburgh, who knows. I don’t think they can afford to spend a high pick at OLB yet again in 2021, Highsmith looks good but they have no depth at all if Bud and Ola are gone.

The only way I see him coming back is if they plan to phase one of Heyward or Tuitt (or possibly both) off the roster in 2022. You can’t pay four guys on one line, it’s already going to be one of the most expensive units in the league and they haven’t even extended TJ

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just a quick question, how will the Steelers sign Bud Dupree to a fair contract, when TJ Watt
    is going to break the bank? Oh and Minka Fitzpatrick will want paid also. We can't keep them all folks,
    might as well get this through your heads.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I guess you didn't see the 2019 season.

22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it really doesn't. That's a video in January, over seven months before the start of the 2021 season.

He's not worth $14.5 million for the upcoming season. Some team may be foolish enough to give it to him as part of a long-term deal, but there is also a chance that the injury forces him to take a relatively cheap, one-year prove-it deal. In that case, the best option for both parties might be for him to stay with the Steelers. He may not play until October and it might be midseason before he gets close to top speed, but he can still help that team. It would just have to be a very team-friendly, one-year deal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I've been listening to DK on Pittsburgh Sports' podcasts this week. Dejan has gone completely off the rails for Bud. He basically credits Bud for the 11-0 start, and his absence for the 1-5 finish. To that end, he thinks we should release Ben (not saying I disagree with that) and use that money to sign Bud, which would be monumentally stupid.

If anyone knows Dejan personally, please see that he gets the help he needs. This is the most preposterous position I think I've seen from a Pittsburgh sportswriter in my lifetime. Bud is a decidedly average player who racks up really good stats because the rest of the DL gets all the attention. Someone is going to overpay him to the tune of $17-18M a year without guys like Heyward, Tuitt, and TJ and sorely regret it when he tops out at 8 sacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Highsmith has shown he has the skills to be a force. And will cost a mill. You want to keep Dupree for another year and wait and see if he gets back on the field? Then you give him a mill, period. And what's to be when Highsmith is tearing it up?

I feel he will go elsewhere and rehab there signing a multi year deal. The GM will be handed the last two seasons and when they go back to see the rest of his work the previous 4 seasons the tape will be blank.

25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Let Bud walk/ hobble off to another team IMO , Idont have as much faith in him as others , he was nonexsistant for 3/4 years and was only playing for a contract this year... once he gets paid he will become nonexsistant again.... just sit back and watch

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1