1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin Called All The Defensive Signals Sunday

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Jan 12, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dulac is speculating, he asked Tomlin this question at the post game press conference, and Tomlin didn't admit to nothing but saying they do what they usually do.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I honestly don't think I'll last that long. I will have to tune this team out because it won't be enjoyable anymore. I'm not a fairweather fan at all. I'll still watch if we go 0-16 because our players suck and we're rebuilding. I have no issue with down years. I have a serious issue when there's a glaring hole with the team and the management refuses to fix it. It's clear as day that Tomlin is a huge problem and it's not getting better.

Once upon a time Tomlin was considered one of the best coaches in the league. The last few years, all I keep hearing from the talking heads is "Tomlin is a good coach, but..." then they go on to describe how he ****ed up.

You can go all the way back to 2009. After we won our last SB, the wheels came off. Sure, we had winning years, but at no point could you objectively look at the Steelers and think they were a consistently good team. We sometimes won despite our issues, or we appeared to be a really good team but missed the playoffs. There always just seems to be major kinks with this team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin does what he does. When he comes up with a plan, it doesn't change. He sticks with players way too long and refuses to give other guys chances. My guess is if Tomlin had his way, Ben would play for another 8 years. Tomlin would never bench him or ask for him to be released. He's too set in his ways

4. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    So all this talk about MT not being any good , I remember when BC use to get all the bad mouthing bc he didn’t win in the playoffs or SB...

so if no to MT, who’s the new coach?

I don’t see anything better out there

5. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What does it matter if he called the signals or not? Reports are he called the signals a lot at times during the year too...

A lot of offensive minded head coaches call their own plays offense. So what is the difference?

6. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I marked that hilarious. That was sarcasm, right?

Only need coaching and a QB, LOL.

Seriously though, I remember the drought between Bradshaw and Ben and we found out you can`t win it all with just defense and no franchise QB. If we have to wait that long again to find one, I will probably be dead of old age by then.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yep

8. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    One of the games in 2017 (vs the Jaguars I think) Mike Tomlin was shown on camera mouthing “You ****ed up. You ****ed up.” Into his headset. Butler was close by. I believe he was talking to Keith Butler, and since then he has had a much greater hand in the defense.

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Sounds like a dysfunctional coaching staff running a dysfunctional team. Last 2 years we have been pretty much free of drama for the first time in a long time. Let's not forget all the off the field BS Tomlin has allowed or created over the years. It starts at the top. The team reflects the coach. We are always sloppy and rarely buttoned up. We look poorly prepared in most games, even the games we win. Typically we win because we have a good QB and play makers on defense. Not because we out coached anyone. Not many people can say Tomlin consistently puts us in position to win games we shouldn't win.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Tomlin is under contract thru 2021 with a two-way option for 2022. I suspect this off-season Tomlin will be signed thru 2022 with a 2023 option, or thru 2023 with a 2024 option. If collapsing seasons were a viable reason to fire Tomlin, he would have been gone years ago. Art2 likes non-losing seasons, Tomlin isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We’ll see. If they go into the 2021 season without extending him, he’s on the hot seat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I think he'll be extended this off-season. Even if they don't, they have a built in safety valve with the two-way option for 2022.
    11-0, covid, injuries, schedule changes. They've extended him with less excuses in the past.
    Tomlin could 'retire'(Arians) or resign'(Lebeau), 'Pittsburgh style' at some point, but I don't see that happening either.

13. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    This has been denied by the players via radio interview.

The way it was explained is Tomlin will (as well as most head coaches) ask at times for pressure to be brought, possibly from certain sides, or ask for a type of coverage (deep or short, sidelines, etc) but the DC still calls the plays.

This is normal for most NFL teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    And got Lernt doing it.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Because the Steelers lost, now the fans are looking for something else to blame the HC, this is a nonstory.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin has a small playsheet he pulls out sometimes, but I doubt he's calling the defense for the whole game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If we're lucky we can land Adam Gase:help:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    He's worse than I thought.

19. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Didn't Tomlin, Fichtner, and Butler all coach at Memphis?

I believe all 3 had a prior working relationship.

20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Whoever called the plays in the previous game against the Browns when they needed to win to get in the playoffs should have called the playoff game against them. Or where the backups better than the starters? Our defense failed almost as as badly as the offense.

21. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    subtract 3 of the embarrassing turnovers, they would of easily won. ben was washed up that game. rudolf should have played the 1st half, and ben in the 2nd.
    cmon coach

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Getting embarrassed and down 28 point in 1 quarter (7 pts on offense fault) and losing to a team that we could of went to OT with our backups a week prior would make anyone want to know who in the hell let this happen. Now we know who was that bad and is in way over his head, obviously.

23. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Only thing I really didn't like about the defense against Browns is they were starting to burn us with quick passes to RB. Our OLB were just rushing and it let the RB go on free routes. Didn't seem to be much adjustments.

TBH, Patriots burned us like that for years too. It seems to be a major weakness of the 3-4 Steelers run???

24. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    once Highsmith was injured, they didn’t have the talent with Marsh.

25. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Yep. We all need to be ready for participation trophies over the next 3-5 seasons. But heck, at least Tomlin’s “never had a losing season” can at least remain in tact. After all, isn’t that the measure??:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1