1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Name the current coaches better then Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Jan 12, 2021.

1. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    no he hasn't and while Saints have lost earlier in playoffs than they should've
    his teams haven't given up just short of a 50 burger in back to back HOME playoff games

Oy vey

Steelers org is living in their fears, can't fire Fitchner Ben won't like it, can't cut him because the 20 years between Bradshaw n Ben, can't fire Tomlin who will we get....

Garbage. No one knew who Cowher or Tomlin was. Fire Tomlin n you might just find the next "Mike Tomlin"
    80s Steelers had 3 payoff wins in decade n that was the "Dark period " for org

They are 3 n 7 in their last 10 playoff game. So what are they gripping for dear life to?

Pittsburgh goal is WINNING SBs not regular season games I thought

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    how about the coach that just beat us two weeks in a row and didn't even have to be at the game.

3. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020

Especially if Antonio Brown wasn’t bat**** crazy. I know it’s an oxy-moron but a healthy AB just playing football makes a big difference.

4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Change isn't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes it's a great thing for both parties involved. Tomlin would land a new gig in a NY minute and win a SB or two elsewhere, and a new coach here could ending winning a SB or two. I think a change of culture would be a good thing for the Steelers. We definitely need new and fresh ideas and schemes. 3 playoff wins in the past decade definitely isn't cutting it. Time for a reboot and what better time than now. Get rid of the veterans eating up a ****ton of cap space, resign UFAs and extend younger players deemed suitable for such change. Lets get the rebuild underway. I know it's going to be painful. And I also realize it's been 20 years between Bradshaw and Ben, and it may be another 20 years until we land another franchise QB. The league is changing and things in Pittsburgh been stagnant since the last SB appearance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Are we naming the current coaches better than Tomlin or are we naming 5-10 current coaches that are available that we would want (college included)? There's a huge difference between the two.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Offseason after a playoff loss is entertaining to say the least. We can argue until September, but that won't change the fact that Tomlin will still be HC for the Steelers. Nothing much will change.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Stefanski has a long way to go before I put him ahead of Tomlin. Before the Steelers caught a case of the heebie jeebies they handled Stefanski's Browns quite easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    If they're foaming at the mouth that must be because they have rabies, and their mental capacity is gone! Sounds about right....yea....they'd love to get Tomlin cause they're nuts! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. djac111

djac111 Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    I agree 100% .. Fans here are spoiled .. I live in Jacksonville and I see what the fans deal with every season .. Talking about the draft after the first five games every season. We are all upset the Steelers lost but please someone tell me the last time a playoff game was won after your qb throws 4 interceptions and on the first play your center give them a TD? Please please tell me how was Tomlin responsible for his HOF QB throwing 4 pics ? Even better what should he have done differently as the HC? Pull Ben ? Yes that would've went well with all the same people saying fire Tomlin !

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I would have a lot more respect for Tomlin if he did pull Ben. You won't win with Rudolph but at least it would show his head isn't completely up his ass. It just amazes me how many times this guy can fail and people like you will always turn a blind eye and nope it's all the players fault. I mean it's staring you right in the face. Changing your coach doesn't mean you will turn into Jacksonville.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Doesn't necessarily mean you'll turn in to New England either. It's a gamble. While I think it's time for Tomlin to go, sometimes the devil you know........

12. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Actually they are buying what he is selling and thats the problem.

13. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Spurrier had great success at Florida too.

14. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    If I recall correctly, Meyers and Spurrier are two different people with two different results. Spurrier succeeded at Florida, failed in the NFL, and has has moderate success at South Carolina. Meyers has had great success at Florida and Ohio State. Two different conferences. He displayed the ability to adapt. He would succeed in the NFL. In any case I believe the Carolina Panthers and the Detroit Lions had contacted Meyers to interview for their head coaching positions. So we shall see ... perhaps.

15. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Agree. He comes over cocky n I feel team.buys into it. Shows in game prep, attitude, focus, lack of adjustments

I feel they've won mostly on talent in Tomlin era, last 5-6 years anyways

Time for a change IMHO, but Art will have him rearrange deck chairs

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    The Browns empty chair

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    All 31 including the teams that don’t have a coach currently

18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think a better question, is name an organization that is better than the Steelers?
    This is a team effort with many variables in play to be successful, the Steelers need to regroup
    and find that edge again.

19. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Urban Meyer will essentially be given the keys to the whole Jag organization, it may work, but the transition from college to NFL is very different. Every year we seem to have 6-8 HC jobs open, and many are those 'hot names' who did not produce. I am with you on moving on, simply because to the late melt downs and lack of post season success. IDK if the next Noll, Cowher, or even MT is out there, but all reins come to an end.

• Like Like x 2
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Are their coaches better then Tomlin? Of course. But alas until Art II can see it we will have Ol Popcorn.

My worry is the AFC North first and foremost.

Ravens: Harbaugh is a proven coach who reinvents.

Browns: Stefanski looks like the real deal and is a threat going forward. The clowns arrow is pointing up.

Bengals: Don't rest easy on Zak Taylor. Losing Burrow early and the list of injured is massive. I feel they will make some noise going forward.

21. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    You do realize that Chris Petersen hasn't been at Boise St since 2013, right?

And that Les Miles hasn't been at LSU since 2016. He then went two and a half years without a coaching job before taking the Kansas job. What does that tell you? Les has gone 1-16 in conference play at Kansas over two years. At LSU he was basically known for doing dumbass things only to be bailed out by superior talent.

Harbaugh, Jim has just been awful at Michigan.

Whomever also wrote that Spurrier and his success at South Carolina in the present tense, he hasn't been coach there since 2015 and he went 44-40 in the conference.

When you look at college coaches they've pretty much been busts except for Jimmy Johnson and Carroll. Holtz, Spurrier, Petrino, Saban, Chip Kelly, Schiano, Butch Davis, etc. They all flopped.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah come 2 think of it , they've done better without him on the field. :hmm:

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I know what he was insinutating, but I'll play along. Considering what they have to work with, I don't think Tomlin is a top half of the league coach, maybe bottom 3rd. The team has to be loaded for him to have success, because it's all on the players. Lose one, it's a hole that is exploited and never filled. They have no ability to coach around injuries, it's just that brain dead "next man up" mantra.

2019 was the perfect example. Defense sucked for 2-3 games because their only weakness - safety - was getting mercilessly exploited. Then Colbert, probably thinking to himself "JFC, Mike, do you need stars at every position?", signs Minkah and the D finally lives up to expectations.

The offense without Ben turned into a complete **** show. They had no answers, no ability to coach up Mason or Duck, they just said "next man up" and watched it fail.

Even when they were loaded on offense, with the triplets, how many times did they pounce on teams from the start vs. how many times did Ben and AB have to go rogue to save Tomlin from another ****ty game plan? Hell, in how many games in the Tomlin era did you feel like they nailed a game plan on both sides of the ball from the jump?

If he's smart, he leaves for a studio job when Ben leaves. I think if you had put him in NY this season the Jets would have the first pick.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  24. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    All of those teams have new, young QBs that run a different offense than The Steelers do. Ben is older now and not able to escape the more athletic linemen in today's game.

The Steelers won't be able to step thigs up offensively until Ben retires.