1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Name the current coaches better then Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Jan 12, 2021.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    This one's for the Mustard man. My reading comprehension is just fine. Read the body of the post. Douchenozzle!

2. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Jim Harbaugh, Michigan Head Coach - won 70% of his NFL games & brings discipline; three NFC Championship Game appearances and one Super Bowl appearance.
    David Shaw, Stanford Head Coach - spent nine seasons as an NFL assistant, with the Philadelphia Eagles (1997), Oakland Raiders (1998-2001) and Baltimore Ravens (2002-2005). He moved on to Jim Harbaugh’s staff at the University of San Diego in 2006, before following Harbaugh to Stanford and becoming head coach when Harbaugh left for the 49ers in 2011.
    Les Miles, LSU - whatever team he was coaching would be guaranteed to have one of the better defenses in the league.
    Chris Petersen, Boise State - Since taking over at Boise State, he has lost six games in six years. Yeah, you read that right—six games in six years.
    Urban Meyers - great success at Ohio State and Florida

3. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Kliff Kingsbury
    Raheem Morris
    John Harbaugh
    Sean McDermott
    Matt Rhule
    Matt Nagy
    Zac Taylor
    Kevin Stefanski
    Mike McCarthy
    Vic Fangio
    Darrell Bevell
    Matt LaFleur
    Romeo Crennel
    Frank Reich
    Andy Reid
    Jon Gruden
    Sean McVay
    Brian Flores
    Mike Zimmer
    Bill Belichick
    Sean Payton
    Joe Judge
    Kyle Shanahan
    Pete Carroll
    Bruce Arians
    Mike Vrabel
    Ron Rivera

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    We have no idea whatsoever whether any of them would be better than Tomlin. They haven’t done the job. Any one of them could be the next Gase: the hot shot coordinator who fails as a coach. I might take the risk at this point, but I wouldn’t assume success. I’d prefer Pederson.

5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    "Durrr I can't think of anyone better so Tomlin gets to be coach for life...."

This is a loser mentality. The standard is the standard BS.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    If I am rating current NFL coaches better than Tomlin. I would say

Belechick
    McDermott
    Harbaugh
    Vrabel
    Reich
    Reid
    Gruden
    Lafleur
    Payton
    Mcvay

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Sure fire way to lose a team. I think it's been proven several times the past few years that this new generation of player does not respond to disciplinary coaches.

8. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Riley has too big of a name to be a Steelers coach...would never happen.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    :popcorn:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I really like Brian Daboll and what he's done with Josh Allen in Buffalo. He had a great offense at Alabama too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Franco

Franco Active Member

Sep 19, 2019
    Andy Reid that’s it

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Oh, so it's obvious? You will pardon me if I don't trust your power of obviousness over the actual accomplishments of the two coaches. Also, you dragged the Dolphins' draft and salary cap situations into the discussion. Those are not relevant to a comparison of which guy is a better coach. If anything, it favors Tomlin, who has been coaching a team without high draft picks and without cap room.

Your other part of the argument is that the Steelers can't win in January with Tomlin. The Dolphins haven't made it to January with Flores yet.

Your new claim about Carroll no better. In any deal that gives the Steelers Wilson over the past three seasons, I'd take that side of the equation as well, regardless of who is the head coach. I would have absolutely loved to see what last seasons' team, with that defense, could have done with a quarterback like Wilson leading the offense instead of Rudolph and Hodges.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They didn't have all of that talent at the same time. Please apply more logic to your next post.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    LMAO

15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Now you are just piling it on. Matt Nagy, Vic Fangio, Romeo Crennel, Darrell Bevell, Mike McCarthy? Gruden hasn't done squat with all the draft picks in the two years he's been coaching. Zimmer can't do shatt with all the talents he has. Ron Rivera and Joe Judge had losing records playing in the absolute worse division

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  16. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    That offense was together at the same time. Minka and Watt came later but still a lot of talent on the defensive side. That was the point of the post. Mike has had more talent than others and done less with it.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I do not understand why people keep putting Gruden on these lists. He has not been successful since his return. People are always insisting that Tomlin won with Cowher's players, but that is absolutely what Gruden did in Tampa. That was Dungy's team he won with.

The rest of your list is reasonable. I don't think they are all clearly better than Tomlin, but you can at least make a strong argument for each of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but no. The defense was not good most of the time they had Bell, Roethlisberger, and Brown together. More talent than those coaches you listed is subjective at best.

Shanahan had one great season with a hell of a lot of talent. Stefanski's roster isn't way worse than what the Steelers have. The Browns already had great skill players. They fixed the offensive line in the offseason. Their roster is actually comparable to Pittsburgh's, better when you figure in what injuries did to the Pittsburgh defense by that playoff game. We never really got to see the Browns and Steelers when both teams were healthy this season. The Browns were missing their best offensive lineman and Chubb in the first meeting, when the Steelers blew them off the field. The Steelers were missing Dupree, Bush, and Haden for the playoff rematch. (I'm skipping over Week 17, when the Steelers benched so many key guys.)

19. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Any person that coaches football at any level with a pulse?

Guys TOMLIN is a complete joke. At what point will that be accepted?? How much more do you need to see????

20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    My list is probably a lot different right now than what it would have been a month ago. Right now I am judging these guys more in terms of current situation than I am lifetime achievement.

As for Gruden, I think he did a good job with the Raiders in his first stint. That was his team he beat in the Super Bowl. I like what he and Mike Mayock are building in Las Vegas. They have drafted well. I think they are a playoff team next year. They were close this year.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    People just googling names and throwing them out there lol.

I want to move on from Tomlin, its been a long time but we already have a coach that does well during the regular season, we want to find one that puts them over the top. Most of the names being mentioned probably wouldn’t be any better than Tomlin.

Truth is, it will probably be another unknown.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Heinz I was gonna jump into this convo but all I'll say is u win this debate easily my man.. only guys on your list I might not put ahead of tomlin are flores and stefanski but the other 48 coaches on your list I'd pack Tomlins bags for in a heart beat

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Sean payton really hasn’t done much with a Hof qb either

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This is true.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah and LevBell missed playoff games twice I believe with injury? Things could have been different, but those things cost us...