1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

You don’t take a QB in this year’s draft.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 12, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Here’s why.
    Use our first four picks in this season’s draft to get a TE, RB, OL and DL

Cut Ben, Pouncey and McDonald.
    Extend Haden and Nelson These moves can cut 45-50 million off the cap

I believe we can restructure Tuitt to save some more money if needed.

Retain Sutton, Banner, Dupree and Alualu. Maybe Hilton and Wormley. Backload the deals and hope the salary cap goes up over the next few years.

We can easily make the cap Work

Start Rudolph, it’s a win-win situation.
    If Rudolph does well then you found your quarterback for the near future. If he doesn’t do well then we more than likely we have a draft position that allows us to go get a top quarterback in the next years draft.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I wouldn't take a QB this year either. The cap situation isn't as dire as it is being made out. There is a solid core here on the defensive side of the ball. Offense needs rebuilt. I would go with Mason for a year, draft and stud RB, and focus on improving the O-line.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree mostly. Disagree on the draft positions overall. Offensive Lineman has to be first and foremost. Protecting the QB is the top priority; Ben, Mason or otherwise.

If Pouncey does indeed end up retiring, make that two major needs on that side of the ball. I do indeed hope that the team can keep Cameron Sutton as that would help a great deal overall.

Here is my order;

Round One: Offensive Tackle

Round Two: Offensive Center

Round Three: Running Back/Tight End (whichever is rated higher first)

Round Four: Whichever position between Tight End and Running Back was not picked in Round Three.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    From what I hear on 93.7, sounds like Haden gonna b gone

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    can’t take a post serious when you say to cut a retiring player.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Dupree is a pipe dream. He's going to sign a one-year prove it deal, and we don't have the cap space for that. It's essentially a franchise tag. He's gone, Highsmith was drafted to replace him.

Also, what is your starting OL? Gonna lose Feiler, Villy, Pouncey, maybe Banner.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    One thing that will be in our favor for building a competitive roster in 2021 is that the cap is going down for everyone. That’s going to be bad news for the free agents who are capable, but not great. There will be guys who have to play on 1 year deals at a relatively low salary to bridge the gap to 2022 when more cash is freed up. Some of those guys are scheduled to be free agents already, but some will be surprise cuts by other teams, some when roster bonuses start coming due in March.

With respect to QB strategy, we could easily field a team that goes 8-8 again with Rudolph, find out that he’s not the guy, and still be drafting too low in the 1st to get one of the top QBs in 2022.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Dupree may not be available until mid-season. I think his 1 year deal will be lot lower than the tag number. I agree that he’s not likely to return though.

9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    For how long? One year? Not another franchise tag! And he will want to get paid so I feel he moves on. Highsmith will do just fine.

I believe he is a priority.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would like to keep them all, but realistically Hilton and Cam will test the market, and I believe Hilton get's a bigger payday than we can afford. Wormley, meh, would rather focus on Williamson or Spillane..neither are spectacular but have shown that they can fill in (when the rest of the D is healthy)...strictly depth which we really need. The one thing you missed...got to lock up TJ, and that will not be cheap.

Also feel there just might be room to trade down out first a few spots if someone is looking...not far, but if you can get a 4th out of it you get a chance at quality depth for DL or OL. Form a rebuild starts there, the more drafts picks in rounds 3 and 4 (up to a point) can make you a contender much faster.

As for Bud he will get an offer from someone, but he may not be ready until midyear, for those saying franchise remember a 2nd tag will cost around 22 million plus, just cannot be done.

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Its all a crap shoot, but 8-8 gets you a more realistic chance of moving up, besides MT will still have a non losing season! (note sarcasm)

12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I’m tired of mid-round RBs not panning out. Snell, Samuel, Archer, Rainey, McFarland (it’s early but has shown nothing yet) and Conner (average to below average).

Either go get a high round stud or a proven FA. No more projects

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Don’t forget they are due a compensatory pick for Hargrave as well, probably a fourth or maybe even a third if they are lucky. Not sure when they’ll know for sure. I’d agree with the draft needs, offensive line, running back, tight end, depth needed everywhere.

Personally I’d prefer if Ben just retired and they focus 2021 on purging the cap and fixing the OLine and rebuilding the pieces on that offence. Yes Ben was great, and yes there was a barren 20 years between Bradshaw and Ben, but he’s not that guy any more. He is too static in the pocket and the offence is too one dimensional with him in there, and he costs a fortune on top of that. It’s time, even if it means 2021 is an ugly 6-10

I would not be comfortable with Rudolph as the full time starter, get a veteran in free agency to compete with Mason, or trade for Darnold

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Agree about the Running Backs overall. For me personally, I am a bigger fan of the athletic type backs rather than the throwback ones who have stellar tape but not much else. SaQuon was such a rare exception as he has both.

That said, our Offensive Line is long in the tooth. There remains a major reason as to why Running Backs like Nick Chubb and Derrick Henry are doing so well; the big men up front. For that matter, compare their abilities to a Top Five pick in SaQuon Barkley and what Pittsburgh did to him in Week One.

Running Back wise?! SaQuon Barkley, Derrick Henry and Christian McCaffrey are all in a league of their own. That said, they all have varying degrees of success because of one factor; the Offensive Line. Heck, look at Najee Harris and how well he performed behind that Offensive Line.

Get that Offensive Line fixed first. Once that happens, look for the results to arrive soon thereafter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree. There are outliers like Aaron Jones but most of the best rushers in the league were taken in the early rounds. This idea that you don’t need to invest in the position is largely a myth.

That said, getting your line right is a bigger priority and I’d invest there first

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I don't see how you think Ben would ever be cut. If he decides to retire on his own, then that will be fine with the Rooneys and they will deal with the cap hit. If he decides to stay Art II will welcome that as well. No way Tomlin tells him he is going to cut him.

They are not cutting a 2 time SB Champion QB.

17. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Have to rebuild the OL this year, likely with multiple picks. Otherwise it will not matter who is added at QB or RB since they'll just get killed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    If a Trey Lance or Mac Jones falls the Steelers, you take him. Ideally I'd be looking for best player available whether it's OL/TE/RB and in that order. Frankly Id hope that Najee drops to the 2nd round and we trade up to the 33rd or 34th spot and pick him. But frankly, I'd doubt he would even drop the the 24th.

19. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    I say you watch Malik Willis of Liberty highlights and we could get him in late rounds

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    agreed. And just like that I feel good about the future

• Like Like x 1
  21. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If we draft Mac Jones, we'd also better draft Najee, Smith,Waddle, the OL, and hire Sark to call plays.

Otherwise, we already have him on the roster, goes by the name of "Randolph" or something.

22. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    We don't seem to scout them very well. None of our guys know how to set up blocks or hit smaller holes. Bell was brilliant at it. Najee could be, too. If they want to try to win it all next year, Najee could have an instant impact.

23. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    U need to draft a high end running back higher than the third round.. Conner and Snell were 3rd and 4th round picks and it hasn't worked

24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

They sure were.... and they did not have a quality Offensive Line either. Need that for any Running Back to succeed. For a good reference, see SaQuon Barkley.

25. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I'd say go o line first round then running back second round if there's a good one. I believe lev bell was a second rounder