1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Name the current coaches better then Tomlin

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Tomlin is taking a lot of heat on these boards and deservedly so. In my opinion he and the Steelers have underachieved the last 10 years no question. To go the the total rebuild route or not is a great debate. Glad I do not have to make it . With that being said give me 5-10 current coaches that are available college included that you would want. I personally do not think they would let him go this year , he’s got 1 year left on contract. Next year who knows

2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Be much easier to name the ones worse than him. Be about 1 or 2

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Name the coaches you wanted to replace Cowher. And Noll. And Austin.

Not our job to find the next obscure coordinator that the Rooneys believe can lead the team for the next 15 years.

That doesn't mean we can't recognize that it's time for Tomlin to get on with his life's work.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    McVey
    Payton
    Belichick
    McDermott
    Gruden
    LaFleur
    Rivera
    Shanahan
    Carroll
    Stefanski
    Harbaugh
    Flores
    Reid

..... just to name a few.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not familiar with a lot of coaches but I do think Mike has taken this team as far was he possibly can. Players aren't buying what he's selling anymore. JMHO.

Nick Saban but he ain't going anywhere.
    Coach for LSU but he ain't going anywhere.
    Frank Reich but he ain't leaving.

I just think we need a more disciplinary approach.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I agree with you that the players aren’t buying in

7. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    everyone.gif

(obvious sarcasm...kinda)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Gary Oldman of the 90's... best actor since Brando. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Seems when he trys to act all angry , and fed up the team plays worse. They just ignore it

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Gruden? You're funny.

Rivera is a great guy, but his resume doesn't even come close.

Carroll's team fell apart this season without injuries as an excuse.

Shanahan made it to one Super Bowl and lost. That makes him a better coach than Tomlin?

Let's see Flores actually guide a team to the playoffs before we put him that high.

Stefanski has one playoff trip. That's way too early to put him there, though he did impressive work this season.

Belichick and Reid are definitely better.

You can make a good argument for LaFleur, McDermott, and Harbaugh.

I have no problem with the team moving on. Maybe he has been there too long, but let's apply some logic here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It is fitting that the first two responses on this thread couldn't even come up with a list of current NFL head coaches who are better.

To be fair, perhaps you read the OP wrong. He wasn't asking us to name replacements. He asked which current NFL coaches are better.

12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Oh please. I'd take Pete Carroll over Tomlin in a heartbeat. Flores too. It's obvious now the majority of Tomlin's playoff wins were with a team Cowher assembled from scratch. No help from Noll... his players were long gone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Both guys at their best, I would take Carroll, but he is 69 years old and his team also fell apart this season.

Flores doesn't have the resume to support your claim.

14. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Point of Information: Pete Carroll has lost 3 of his last 4 playoff games WITH a better QB.

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Flores has the control of his entire team... offense, defense and special teams. It's obvious... he's a good leader and head coach who WILL eventually compete with Bills in AFC East due to draft picks and lesser salary cap issues. Tomlin relies on strong coordinators (Arians, Lebeau) to win in the post season. Now that we have average coordinators... Tomlin can't do squat in January.

Again... I'd take Pete Carroll and Russell Wilson as HC and QB for the past 3 seasons.... we'd have #7 in one of those.... easily.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Reveria (panthers), Flores, Stefanski, Shannahan all took over roster way worse off than the Steelers and are having more success than Tomlin what’s that tell you. It says to me they are better coaches winning with less. Not a avg coach being mediocre with great players. Give me some comparable players on those rosters to. Ben 2-10 yrs ago, Bell, AB, our line 3-4 years ago, Cam, Watt, Minka, Dupree, Haden. We have had more talent than all those teams.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    He said to name AVAILABLE coaches

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Thread title says current coaches. Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I am thinking they should go for offensive coach. Having innovative offensive mind is more important than ever in the league.

Hugh Freeze from Liberty impressed me during the National Championship games coaches channel.

I wonder if a college HC would take an OC job. From a small school it should be lucrative enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Available

Beinemy
    Saleh
    Richards
    Myer
    Daboll
    Martindale

All better than Tomlin

Super Long shot but wouldn’t be mad. I actually played with him at Mount Union Matt Campbell young up and coming doing more with a lot less at Iowa state.

21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’ve posted a version of this about 10 times on this board

The spoiled child fan base that makes up Stiller Nation, have no memory of what a ‘bad head coach’ looks like. Someday this team will hire a Rex Ryan or a Freddie Kitchens or so other moron and the first time in 50 yrs you’ll know what incompetent coaching is. Tomlin might be disappointing, he might be underachieving, but he’s no idiot. Ask your friends who are fans of other teams to name their idiot HCs over the past 5 decades. They will probably admit, that they can’t remember them all. No losing season in 13 yrs, you sniff in derision. Go six years where you best record is 6-10, and tell me how meaningless a non losing season is. But of course, that can’t happen to the Pixburgh Stillers.

this is not to say that Tomlin is blameless or that he shouldn’t be let go. Coaches reach ‘use by’ dates, maybe Tomlin reached his. I was a young engineer, and they fired our plant mgr. I asked one of the old vet guys “why’d they do that he seemed ok?” His answer: “After a while, everyone gets used to the bark of same dog, so you have to change the dog”. Maybe, for Tomlin, you have to change the dog. I doubt the Rooney’s will do it, but if they did I’d understand.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Al Bundy, greatest HS player ever, has plenty of experience as a social warrior in No Maam" so players will connect and respect him, can help players with various obsessions like beer and nudie bars, being in the shoe business he will have contacts to get FA's here cheaper as they make book on shoe contracts. A bit long in the tooth, but 'let's rock'.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    And history shows that at least half of them will fail and be fired in 3-4 years. So no,not all are better than Tomlin..and until proven otherwise, none are.

• Like Like x 2
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Luke fickell
    Ryan Day
    Dabo Sweeney
    Brent Venables

Those would be the guys I'd like to lure away.:cool:

25. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    There are teams out there that would foam at the mouth to get Tomlin. Test the market, get a 1st and 2nd rounder for Tomlin and go get Lincoln Riley. Then draft a QB in the first, trade up if you have to.