1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Tomlin will never have a "Short Leash" or "Hot Seat"

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 12, 2021.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Seems he found the perfect organization for a long tenured career. Chaz Noll left on his own accord when he felt the time was right. Bill Cowher left on his own accord when he became emotionally drained after his wife passed away. Mike Tomlin, while never having a losing record will determine when he walks away this organization as well.

I was in the camp of who would we replace him with anyways but now I've gone fully over the fence to the camp of he will not get us to another SB, ever. That challenge is just too tall for him to accomplish with the cast of characters that are always on his roster. A change was needed yesterday. Art II should have told Mike, thanks for your services but we are going to go in a new direction. Sure there were a thousand excuses for the way this season unfolded as usually there always is but there are also glaring weaknesses with his teams that have become a serious pattern.

When the Steelers walked off the field after pre game warm ups, it was apparent to me that we Steelers fans were in for a long night. If I can see that through my TV from 300 + miles away then how does the FO not see it? They showed the Browns first going to the locker room and they just seemed to have a different swagger and it immediately showed on the playing field.

I'm sorry for starting another Tomlin thread but I've had it with his time here and him not being held accountable. A new direction is needed and it should not be when the HC decides it's time for him to move on. If he is not replaced then expect more of the same, which is over confident players who feel they don't need to practice nor put in a full 60 minutes during game time.

I'm glad they were eliminated by the Browns. The better team won and I don't have to roll my eyes anymore at the immaturity of these players leading up to game day. It's refreshing to watch other teams take the game more seriously.

Fire Mike Tomlin now! Bring in a new coach and give him full control to hire whom ever he wants. It's time to rebuild completely or we will be bottom feeders in the AFCN for a long long long time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Would like to see the 49ers DC Robert Saleh take the clowns spot. You could get rid of 2 doo doo birds with one of Ben's over throws. As in Butler gone too. He's been an assistant coach with the jags, Houston and Seattle, he's more qualified than Tomlin. He has the Cowher fire too

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    You are correctomundo. I actually turned off my tv during Steeler playoff game. That would have been unthinkable a few years ago. We are starting to clean our house of junk as I have to sell it in a few months. My wife asked me what to do of various Steelers memorabilia I had collected as gifts or on my trips to Steeler games. I told her to throw them away. I have checked out of my Steeler fan phase after 40 years. I don’t care about the current players or the coach or the woke ownership.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not in the same spot you are, but I find I don't get the same enjoyment out of this team that I used to. It just feels like Tomlin has taken that from me. It's hard to get excited watching such s talented team fail every year, always in the same colossal ways.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I watched 3 shows yesterday...NOT ONE had even a mention of Tomlin, all Bens fault...

No playoffs for 2 years, 3 years ago blown out by Blake ****in Bortles at Home, then blown out at Home this year by a team with THREE OL out ( one starter had to be introduced to the team days ago ) 2 top CB's, no HC ,No practice...We had basically 2 weeks off with rest!

3 playoff wins in ELEVEN years! TWO of the THREE to backup QB's!!!!!! Lost to Tebow and...

Not even a whisper about Tomlin....WHY? No, I mean seriously WHY?

WHY doesn't one analyst or network EVER bring up the things I just stated?

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think Tomlin is a solid person , but not so good of a Coach.. The reason I say this is I am sure he wants to win Football games and he has tried the yield to the OC/QB and yield to the DC and the results have really been a failure overall..So my point is with massive changes coming maybe Coach T will change as well if not I can't see him enjoying Coaching much longer ...I got a lot better after 6 or 7 years I finally started doing what I wanted and not what others wanted Tomlin could be a victim of this because of Ben ? He just doesn't seem in charge to me ...My motto is if I am going down I am going down with my brand I hope that is run the football ,use PA and play good Defense ..

I dont enjoy this dink and dunk soft zone Team I find it very hard to watch if not for DFS I probably wouldn't...

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Just about there myself. The rams could be my new team if something doesn't change very soon. The rams remind me of how the steelers used to be , until that idiot Tomlin came along

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    In all honesty, I wonder just how much control Tomlin has.......I think Ben makes all the decisions, and whatever Ben wants, Ben gets...........another reason I wish he'd retire. Let's see what Tomlin can do when he doesn't have to cater to Ben.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I disagree but if that is the case that Ben has that much say over the HC then this FO has it's priorities upside down and MT has no backbone to put his foot down. You could be right though. Ben never gets benched no matter how awful he is sometimes.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Come on man don’t abandon your fandom over some bad years lol.

Just because my wife doesn’t put out sometimes doesn’t mean I’ll cheat on her...lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I’ve come to realize that Tomlin may not solely be the problem, but he DEFINITELY isn’t the answer!

13. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Really? you really dont know the reason why?? , cmon, you know the reason why ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    To all the people jumping ship, goodbye:hi: Dont let the door hit ya were the good lord split ya ,,,, Ohhh and if you dont want your Steeler gear ill take it ... pm for my address ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Only *some* Steelers fans seem to think Tomlin is responsible for Ben's performance. This wasn't the only time Ben made critical mistakes that killed us in the playoffs either.

I can't even blame the defense because when your offense digs you a 28-0 hole guys naturally start to check out.

• Like Like x 2
  16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    7 is on the offense, then if the defense were to hold 2-3 of those drives to fgs it would’ve been 16-20 to 0.

oh well doesn’t matter lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sure Ben is playing a big roll in this too. Nobody stands up to him , so others see that and act out. Tomlin can't even keep his own mouth shut , how can we expect him to tell juju and others to keep quiet. Tomlin kept saying things weren't going to change and they didn't. The Browns didn't need to practice or have a coach , they already knew what was coming.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah this attrition BS has to stop. Game planning > talent most of the time.

19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    There are countless examples of his players saying and doing classless, unprofessional and disrespectful things. It doesn't mean anything in the win/loss column but it begs the question; If Tomlin is that loose with what these guys say and do with the press and public, then how forgiving is he with practice and work out habits, game planning, teaching, etc? The very public examples of Claypool and JuJu, to me, are indications of problems elsewhere that Joe Fan aren't privy to. I don't see any of that changing as long as he is here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Honestly the biggest problem has been Big Ben not showing up for big games. Some of that definitely falls on Tomlin since he is the head coach. We put all of our eggs in one basket with Rothlisberger and now we’re paying the price.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d take Bradshaw in a big game over Ben any day and I’m a big fan of Bens.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Wont let me read read the article. How do we know the seat is warming up or is this just Cooks opinion ?

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

As I have said before, since 2019, Pittsburgh has been conducting very un-Steeler like moves. Quite a bit to look back on. That said, here are the most notable ones;

- Signing a big contract in Free Agency a la Steven Nelson in 2019.

- Trading up to get a player in the 2019 NFL Draft (only done in 2003 to get Troy Polamalu).

- Trading away a First Round pick for the first time since 1967.

- Taking a Receiver which breaks from the conventional mold in what the team generally looks for in Wide Receivers (i.e. HWS vs. Route Running and Catching).

- Taking a 24 Year Old in the 2020 NFL Draft.... twice (Has never happened before in the Kevin Colbert Era)

Some of course bigger than others. The overall point remains the same though. I do not believe that Art Rooney II's paitence is as immeasurable as some make him to believe.

That said, canning Fichtner and Butler would be a good first start.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Just his opinion. Lot of same things we say here. Here’s some of the article where he lists some failures.

Let’s take an unpleasant trip down Nightmare Lane:

• In 2017, the Steelers went 13-3 and lost at home to the Jacksonville Jaguars in their first playoff game. Shame on them and Tomlin for looking ahead to a rematch with the New England Patriots in the AFC championship.

• In 2018, the Steelers were 7-2-1 and finished 9-6-1, out of the playoffs. They lost at Denver when Roethlisberger threw an interception to a defensive tackle; to the Los Angeles Chargers at home when they blew a 16-point halftime lead; at Oakland to the 2-10 Raiders; and at New Orleans when JuJu Smith-Schuster lost a late fumble in Saints territory.

• In 2019, the Steelers were 8-5 before losing to the Buffalo Bills, the New York Jets and the Baltimore Ravens to finish 8-8, out of the playoffs. Blame Roethlisberger’s elbow injury, which left Mason Rudolph and Duck Hodges as the quarterbacks.

• This season, the Steelers lost five of their final six games after an 11-0 start.

Tomlin’s answers when asked about all of this Sunday night were evasive and trite.

“It is what it is.”

“Our record is our record.”

“We own it.”

“We don’t run from it.”

And my favorite on the Browns’ domination:

“They did, we didn’t.”

That’s been happening a lot around here. The Steelers have gone four seasons without a playoff win. They have just three postseason wins since the 2010 season when they made their most recent Super Bowl appearance.

He goes on to say he’ll finish his contract but if it’s more of the same next season, they’ll be looking for a new coach.