1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rate Minkah Fitzpatrick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 12, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    In 2019 he played great.
    This season except for a handful of plays he was pretty average.
    I believe he has the potential to be a great player and I think he’ll be fine moving forward, But I had much higher expectations for him this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know that we have seen enough tape to make a informed decision on Minkahs play. I feel like you intuitively he is not doing as much but I would like to see more how he progresses through these routes and what he is doing. We did see him get turned around a number of times and mistackles. He def needs improvement in that area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I honestly wonder if he became a product of the Tomlin culture, 2019 he was phenomenal and this year just average at best. In all fairness though, 2020 has been rough on everyone. Not just athletes either. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is very much light at the end of the tunnel yet.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He was graded higher in PFF this season. He takes away a lot that doesn't show up in stats.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Loved him last year. I was really impressed, and super excited about the trade.

This year, he's been OK. He kind of disappeared, and I've noticed he's not great at tackling. I still like him as a player, but I'd like to see more of what I saw last year, and hoping for more improvements.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is a great Safety , but he is a action Safety reading routes and plays pre snap and getting in the right position to make the play before the play is on him... He is not good at playing deep and then trying to read the action or make tackles ...Because we lost our cover LB the good old DC reverted back to that Cover 2 crap Minkah even told the press he doesn't like it back there.. Minkah can play CB,Safety press or zone as long as its closer to the action.. He losses his edge and becomes average at best playing deep...

We need a deep Safety and it is not Edmunds we have to be able to play Cover 1 and Edmunds will never be the answer back there...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    He’s a pro bowl safety. He inflated everyone’s expectations in his first 6-8 games here, by being a ball hawking turnover maker. People thought he’d do that every game. And, alas, no one does that every game. For a while it looked like he might be a generational talent, another polamalu.

well, he ain’t that. But he’s still pretty good. Though some may be disappointed that he isn’t turning a turnover into a def TD every game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Minkah wants to be the deep safety, probably because he doesn't want the contact in the box, but if he is a playmaker he needs to be around the ball more.

I get teams are not throwing his way, but there has to be more ways to get the guy we spent a 1st round pick on involved?

9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    He's one of the better safeties in the league. Gone are the days that a safety can blow up WR so they don't always get the credit they deserve. With the rules giving a huge advantage to the passing game safties now need to focus more on playing center field and zone coverage. Minkah has good range and good ball skills. He's no Troy but he's one of the best in the league IMO. He helps cover up for the avg DB's we have.

10. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree! Everyone is looking for him to take the ball away every time it is thrown. Obviously, that is an impossible task. I think opposing offenses have to be mindful of where he is at all times. He has the potential to be disruptive as Polamalu was, but Keith Butler doesn't know how to make use of him as LeBeau did of Polamalu. There is no doubt LeBeau knew how to utilize the talent on the Defense to play to their strengths. His downfall was not adapting to the declining talent.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’m not looking for him to take the ball away every time. He just didn’t seem to have the impact this season as last. I expected growth not decline.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    This happens to the Pens a lot. New players come in and look great then after a year in Sullys system they start to decline. I'm sure it becomes a complete mind **** listening to these idiots. Do this in this situation then this. Then you stop trusting your instincts. That could be the case with Minkah. With that said I thought he was solid and the least of our worries and glad we got him.

13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    9.5/10 for me.

Tackling has been eye brow raising but nothing to be concerned about from my point of view. Again, he, Rod Woodson, Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lott and Ed Reed are the only other Defensive Backs to start out their careers with four total Defensive Touchdowns since the AFL-NFL Merger. For that matter, he is the very first Steelers player to earn multiple First Team All Pro Awards before the age of 25.

Think about that. Joe Greene did not accomplish this. Jack Lambert did not accomplish this. Heck, even the likes of Rod Woodson were unable to achieve this feat.

As I have said before and I will say again; Minkah has not just saved the Steelers time and time again but also has bailed out Keith Butler on numerous occasions. For that matter, Keith Butler should count his "lucky stars" as Minkah allows his defense to use SO MANY differnet types of blitzes. The fact that this Defense had so many turnovers and points off those turnovers was mostly thanks to Minkah.

Without him, the 2020 Pittsbugh Steelers defense is nothing more than an overglorified version of the 2017 Pittsburgh Steelers with a pre injured Ryan Shazier a la pre injured Devin Bush Jr.; Superb Front Seven but average secondary. Terrell Edmunds has gotten better but he is no Minkah nor will he ever be.

14. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    B+ but needs to get stronger I don’t want to see him bounce off anymore wide receivers.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Mainly cause he can't tackle, or don't won't 2. Troy...hell I seen Troy make a tackle with his A$$ better.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also T. Edmunds sucks. I've been trying all year 2 not be hard on him ...people that know me can tell you I've always disliked him....like Jarvis Jones.... Worthless..... Edmunds can't cover....So you would think he can at least tackle, but No...he even sucks at that. I don't want 2 see no tackle stats....show me.....how many miss tackle....he is average at best....what good is his speed and size it = a big 0