1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers defense against the Browns was disappointing

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jan 11, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I know the offense put them in a bad spot with the turnovers, but Watt and Heyward had the week off to rest and didn't do much. I can't think of one player who had a good game, a glaring weakness is lack of speed at ILB, they had no sacks while facing backups on the Browns OL :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Even with the turnovers the offense still outplayed the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I really thought Tuitt, Heyward, and Watt would dominate, they got no pressure at all :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Our biggest playmakers were nonexistent. Pretty darn disappointing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The whole team played uninspired for the most part. There were some splash plays in the second half by the offense which made it interesting for most of the 3rd and 4th qtrs but it was easy to tell which team came to play and which team thought all they had to do was arrive on time.

It was funny, as the weekend moved along I kept getting this gut feeling that the Steelers weren't taking this game seriously and would probably lose. As soon as I saw them going to the locker room I could tell by body language which team was ready to play and which was not. The snap 10 feet over Bens head and Ben giving about 2 percent effort getting to the fumble had me convinced it was going to be a long evening.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    They were pushed around in the trenches. Both sides of the ball. Really discouraging

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I felt the same way. Their body language was terrible prior to the game. They didn't look at all like a team ready to play a playoff game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Noticed it too. Why?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    The D being “disappointing” is really sugar coating their performance.

10. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep. The offense made a decent recovery. 37 points should have won, but giving up over 40 points killed it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Supposedly Tomlin called all the plays on defence last night. Interesting

12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Plus, they were being held on most plays.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Hayward was on a rookie and did nothing.
    Where was the Defense?
    upload_2021-1-11_20-16-5.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Run defense is what really bothered me in this game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The D was disappointing, but they were down 14-0 before they knew what happened, and the the Browns could change their game to better dictate the defense that was played. The beginning of the game was such a disaster the Browns could play conservative and not let the D do what they do best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    But the regular season sack record is still intact! Hooray for that, I guess.

17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    But, But, Tomlin never had a loosing season.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Had we only needed 30 points we would’ve scored 25 lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    LOL at the thread title. Disappointing??? Did you say disappointing? This could win an award for understatement of the year.

Let me take a stab a re-titling this

The Steelers defense against the Browns was a train that wrecked into a burning dumpster.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    It's funny because it's probably true. :icon razz:

• Like Like x 1
  21. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Does it seem like this team thinks it’s better than it really is? Tuitt tells the guys to pad their stats the week he’s off. Juju dances on logos and says ‘the Browns is the Browns’. Tomlin bragging that his offense can ‘play it any way you want’ right before every team figured out how to stop it. Message: We’re so much better, we’ll win easily. This probably got reinforced during the 11-0 run. But, When the opposition actually shows up and plays, the Steelers are in shock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It wasn't pretty, but I read a stat that Cleveland ran 58% of their plays in our side of the field not good for any kind of success.

More damning is how can you get 4 sacks one week with back ups, then one week later through Heyward and Watt out there, and get zero.

Don't even understand how it's possible, plus they started a guard who never practiced with the team one time.

Terrible all around.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Yes the defense played like crap. But it's worth mentioning that they were put into a position to fail. You want to eliminate the opponents pass rush and running game...just take a 21 point lead early.

When you're down by 3 TD's against one of the best RB's in the league it's tough to run effective blitzes as they are never really in a "MUST PASS" scenario. When they were needing to pass they got rid of the ball quickly. The reason they were able to do this IMO was Spillane's inability to cover receivers of any kind and the decision to keep safeties back. Maybe the safeties were focused on the RB's and the qb but one of them needed to be assigned to the slot WR and TE imo. sure this had some risk to it with Haden out but we needed to try it because they always had an easy quick 5-10 yards and they killed us with it.

Losing Highsmith was also a killer. Marsh looked like he had never played the position. Maybe now people will start giving Bush the credit he deserves. Fact of the matter is our defense fell apart after we lost Bush. The run defense dropped off immediately. We needed to have better depth at the ILB position. Williams is fine along side a guy like Bush. As the primary ILB he's 1 dimensional and easily exploited. Losing Bud hurt but not because of the pass rush...because of the run defense. Highsmith struggled against the run, he wasn't terrible but he wasn't good. Marsh was a disaster. You can't expect any NFL team to be 2 deep at OLB behind the starter. We should have had better ILB's behind Williams and Bush. That IMO was a coaching / Front office failure that may have cost us the season. Or at least contributed to it. It's safe to say our OC and mike tomlin's inability to prepare his teams for playoff games the reason we were easily knocked out of the playoffs - again. Sloppy and arrogant every year.

• Like Like x 1
  24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, the turnovers put them in a bad spot with often times a short field to defend. Many have knocked them for giving up a long drive or two. Let's face it, in the NFL 1-2 long drives happen all the time against the best defenses. I'm not concerned about the players mentioned. I am concerned about keeping Watt and hope we are able to bring back Dupree. I think Hilton is one of those who may be at risk of losing as well and hopefully we are able to keep him.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The lack of preparation is what concerns me. That starts at the top. That issue has been a Tomlin issue though for a while now; doubly so now given his latest playoff blunder.

I seriously doubt that Tomlin's seat is hotter than the surface of the sun. That said, it is starting to heat up quite a bit. Something has to give.