1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Ben....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Junebug, Jan 11, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

After the 2020 Draft, I had pegged the Browns fielding a Top Five Offensive Lineman unit. Jedrick Willis truly was the final piece to the puzzle for them. His improvement down the stretch has been instrumental without question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Think retooling is more appropriate. Offer Banner another 1 year contract, Dotson looked good (never should have sat him), Decastro can still play. Draft a center and maybe pick up a FA if they can swing it and I think they’d be ok.

RB’s are easy enough to find in the draft and I like the WR’s, they will probably spend a draft pick on that position, too.

QB is a big question mark.

3. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    The Steelers haven't drafted a good RB since 2013. I don't think it's easy enough to find for them

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    after that display he might play for free and help the team financially

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree except RB's are easy to find in the draft. I know we need a T and C, but if Najee is there in the first that would be a steal, he has the ability to give you 1400-1600 (or more) yards a year in total offence. That kind of guy out of the back field (with a fixed line) can make a mid level QB look good.

To clarify I know the Chiefs found that rookie back in the 4th, so yes there are decent backs out there, but I believe those surrounding him make him better...we just are not there yet.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    There’s plenty of examples out there. JC is a good RB but injuries and contract makes bringing him back unfeasible.

It’s hard to say what they have in Benny because the line is so bad, ranked at the bottom of the league if not dead last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Just cut Ben, sign Taylor Heinicke, and let the glory roll in.

8. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Mcfarland, Snell, Conner Since 2017 (Average to JAGs) Before 2013(Leveon). Steelers drafted Chris Rainey, Baron Batch, Dwyer, Frank Summers,(Rahasard 2008), Noah Herron. The Steelers Can't draft RBs( In the Ben Era) fast willie was an UDFA and Bettis via trade. It is a myth RBs being a dime a dozen. They are integral parts to an offense. Pass blocking, Catching out of the backfield, being a safety valve, churning for that extra yard. Most underrated and disrespected position in the NFL imo. The line does stink but i really don't see Snell going for a 1000 on any other team

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I was hoping that if couldn’t pass his physical then insurance would pay his salary and there would be some cap relief. I believe that is how it works in the NHL.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Nothing like that exists, each contract has its own specifics, but there is no insurance against the cap. If a player goes on injured reserve that money is still counted against that years cap. If a player is injured, there is a waived injured clause, I am not sure exactly how that works, but a settlement is reached.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben isn't due 40 million, he's due 19 million, his cap hit is 41 million.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Cut him and his contract. Play Rudolph and Dobbs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It would so dumb to bring Ben back. It's not like we're going to win it all with him. He's a shell of his former self and we're going to lose a number of starters. QB is the hardest position to fill. We have a young QB on the roster who showed some promise when he last played. He needs to be given a full year (with a new OC) to see what he can do. That way we know whether to let him go or re-sign him.

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I want one more year with Ben, but in a situation like Manning and Elway in their last years, where they weren't the aces on the team that needed to throw 50+ times.

That would be predicated on fixing the offensive line and run game in one offseason, which might be a tall order.

15. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I'll start with saying Ben has been a fantastic player for us for almost his whole career, but he was out almost all last season, probably wasn't fully healed this season, and played even worse down the stretch. I'm middle aged and I know what it looks like when a guy tries to tell his body to do something it isn't capable of anymore :hehehe:

He needs that old dog wake up call, we might need to give Marcellus Wallace a call, "in the off season, your ass goes down!"

[​IMG]

16. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I extend him one year to lesson the cap hit.

Non real extra money... just moving it around. If he does not want to do that then he might as well retire as they won't be a solid team around him.

HACK

17. Marvology

Dec 10, 2019
    I don't think he'd go for that since it's basically setting him up to be cut.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The entire point would be to take one last shot rather than have his career end on Sunday's debacle, not to get another big payday. I would have no problem with the team making the offer and telling him to take it or be gone. I don't think he is going to want to retire. Remember, John Elway was his hero growing up. He knows what reasonable people can see, that he's still at least as good as Elway was on that last Super Bowl team in Denver. He just doesn't have that type of offense around him.

That said, I think some people here are fooling themselves based on a couple of good drives by Mason Rudolph. He has moments in which he doesn't look bad, but he is not an NFL starting quarterback. Take away the deep ball, put some pressure on him, force him into shorter passes, and bad things will happen. Just understand that moving on from Roethlisberger means 2021 is very likely going to suck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I’m fine with Ben coming back but not at a $41M cap hit. The team won’t be able to swallow that either based on our cap situation. Something’s gotta give. If he’s willing to restructure with a modest salary for 2022 to spread the cap hit, that’s probably the best option. We’re still a better team with him than without him. What we can’t do is keep him at the expense of letting our younger players hit free agency. That would result in a 3 win team in a few years.

With the salary cap shrinking, a lot of vets are going to get cut and will have to accept much smaller deals if they want to keep playing. If Ben wants to keep chasing a ring, he do best to accept a team friendly extension. No body is going to pay stupid money to sign Ben next season based on where he’s at in his career.

20. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018

If that's true, then the Steelers are worse off than I thought!

21. Marvology

Dec 10, 2019
    The BIG difference to me is Elway and Manning both were men who knew their limitations. They weren't as productive, but they also weren't making the crushing mistakes Ben was (ignoring that stretch before Peyton got benched).

Totally agree though that if Ben is going to get cut we "make him an offer he can't refuse."

As for Mason, I don't think anyone thinks he's our next franchise QB but no doubt he can be a game manager. At best, he's a one-season stop gap to give us time to shore up other areas of the team, then go for the franchise QB in 2022 if we can't find one next season.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'm sure Rudolph is not the answer but enough already! I'm so tired of the drama that comes with Ben and the endless "maybe next year" hopes. The Ravens knew it was time to move on from Flacco and now look at them. The Steelers needed to do the same two years ago but nope and now it's gonna cost them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This. If Ben comes back, force him to use a fullback, tailback, two tight ends and one wide receiver. ;)

24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You can't force him to do anything. He's not gonna change now, he needs to be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    One stop gap for what? You lose with Ben or you lose with Mason, what’s the difference? At least if Ben stays healthy you know you have a shot.

I think they need to draft a QB or try to acquire one through a trade.