1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Ben....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Junebug, Jan 11, 2021.

1. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers need a running back duo that teams have to fear and that will allow the receivers to shine. I believe we do have a good receiver core, but their not being utilized effectively!!

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not fixed , but could have been much better .. The QB under Center helps.. The QB able to run PA passes helps.. The blocking design could have been changed and woud have helped .. We did have a 4.3 YPC the game Mason played..

3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    He doesn't get 40 million for playing next year. thats his cap hit cause of guaranteed money and restructures (kicking the can down the road). His base salary is 4 plus mil with a 15 million roster bonus. YOu can cut him but you will still have 21 million or so in dead money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Cut him. He's done. Been done. He's a huge boat anchor on a sinking canoe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Can this offense be successful with a new coordinator and Ben coming back? Let's say Ben agrees to take a pay cut and we get an OC that will truly call the shots and put together a creative balanced attack. Not another figurehead that will just give in to whatever Ben wants. I'm asking because I really don't see Ben not being on the team next season. Do the Steelers have the balls to tell Ben how it has to be? Has Ben been humbled enough from what transpired last night, to say okay? He's 3-7 in his last 10 playoff games... That's obviously no damn good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Clean house. Far too much dead weight on the roster. It was fun, time to start over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Doesn't matter who is on the Roster. UNless we have a coach that holds people accountable and commands respect then we will see the same results no matter who is on the roster.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Sure. Both are true. They'll cut players before they'll give up 3-in-52 though.

9. OldSchoolFootball

OldSchoolFootball New Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Like many of you, been cheering for the Steelers for 40+ years, so I am an old die hard and will always bleed black and gold. Love Big Ben and all he has done for the franchise over the years.

Last night wasn't on any one guy really either, team effort to lose like that. Can't win em all. But, it's simply time for Ben to retire, we need to rip the bandaid off and start a rebuild. We've been dancing around it for years, time has come. Some others are ready/need to retire too, make it a clean break and start fresh. Fire Fichtner, let Tomlin go, say bye bye to AB, oops, I mean Juju, and his repeated desire to create billboard material for opponents, he's a diva coming, sadly.

Thanks for the great season Steelers, proud of all of you.

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We can save over $20 mil in cap apace if Ben is released or retires. It is time.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben either retires/cut or extended. I’ll go with Cut/retire.
    Enough is enough. I want someone who can execute a QB sneak and run play action. Same injury excuses every year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I don't think the 3 old men on that line have the ability to block any other way. They are finished.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Drive him out to a long country road, open the door and throw out a bra for him to fetch then speed off.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    If Ben comes back he is going to get Boo'd and then get benched. The way Eli went out.

I hope we don't have to see that.

15. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ben needs to retire. He is being paid like the superstar he used to be, not a barely competent starter or back up which he has become. Could he be better? Probably. But the changes that need to be made within himself, the personnel and the organization are going to take too long and are too costly for this organization to absorb. They need to start rebuilding next year, and that starts with releasing the mountains of dead weight on this roster. He's a big reason they started 11-0. He's also a big reason they finished 1-6. Either way, It's time for this team to get younger and get a fresh perspective.

16. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    For me Ben is an all time great qb. Yes, he will have the occasional horrible game, but for one game for all the marbles, I would be good having Ben as my qb. With that being said, I hope he retires. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I would talk to the Raiders about Marriota, if he could be gotten on the cheap, I think he could work in this offense, with a new OC of course. With a few tough cuts and a strong draft to help rebuild the o-line I think we would be in good shape.

17. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    For heaven's sakes Ben! Please, please, retire! Show Steeler fans that it's not all about you, and you care about the team, and the best thing for the team is for you to hang it up. Because frankly Ben, right now, you suck! You had a great career, you were well loved by the fans, but now you're old and washed up, and they're starting to hate on you. So take your rings, go home, play with your kids, and enjoy your retirement.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    If Rudolph is the heir apparent, he must start next year, as they need to pick up his 5th or extend him. Hard to see that happening if riding the bench again

19. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    i don't watch that much college ball... jus the bigger schools, is there any chance the Steelers would trade up for a QB? i know fields and lawrence are top 5 picks , but what about the Bama QB? say if he's there around 12-15, would the Steelers do it?

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I keep thinking what the Titans offense would be with Ben instead of Tannehill ... I think it would be an improvement for them.

Ben wants to be Brady or Manning, but that is just not his game.

I think next year is Ben's last year, if we can somehow get Ben on board with a power run game it can cancel out some of Ben's diminishing skills.

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    After reflecting on it, Ben is going to want to come back. No way is he going to want to go out like that, in that weird season, playing in front of no fans. I don’t think that will be how he wants to end a HOF career.

That means the Steelers have to cut him...with no one to replace him with.

So, I think he will be back. They will look to see if there is anyone they like in the draft to sit a year and learn behind him but it wouldn’t likely take a year, Ben would get hurt and he’d come in sooner. Kind of like Tua only they benched Fitz. Not sure they’d bench Ben.

I know what you are thinking, you’re thinking Mason. Fine, convince Ben to retire because cutting him would suck but either way, draft someone because Mason won’t get the job done and the draft pick will come in.

22. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Does anyone know what the cap implications are if Ben declares himself physically unable to perform next season? Would his salary still count against the cap if he was on LTIR?

23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I bought into the team was a player or two away, especially when the D started gelling after getting Minkah last year, both cb's played well, edge was getting it done, D looked like it was one of the best. Injuries on D a set back, but the O had 3 distinct problems...line got old, very average RB's, and an offensive plan that was totally one dimensional.

The D still has a core, and has moments where they look good, then moments where they look like a Jr High team than was never taught to tackle.

This team is not one player away and with the amount of players up for FA, the cap situation, and aging starters there needs to be a rebuild. It starts with calculating how much dead cap we can carry vs the money that frees up, signign TJ, then those FA's that you can afford to keep.

Can you contend for the PO's, any given year, but the goal needs to be building to dominant your division, yes we won it this year, but 2 team 'below' us in our own division are still in the hunt while we sit at home. We all need to remember THAT when we see the division banner raised next year.

24. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Declaring himself unable would basically means he retires. If he is cut/retires before a certain date the dead cap hit is somewhere around 21/22 million, that he money he has already been paid that was 'pushed down the road', the 19 million salary is not guaranteed until some point in March, the decision has to be made before then or his cap hit is 41 million. He can voluntarily extend and take minimum for a second year, thus spreading that 19 million out, but his cap hit is still going to be huge.

25. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Watching the Browns O line last night made me appreciate a pulling guard so much more. Watching the T on runs made me realize how much we suck. Chubb is an amazing talent, but that line could make a lot of RB's look very good.