1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with Ben....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Junebug, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    I think Ben, in his arrogance, is going to want to play for the Steelers again next year. So what do you think, do we let him play, or do we bench him?

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Find any way possible to either convince him to retire or flat out tell him he's done. This team really needs to stop fooling themselves into thinking he's a superstar anymore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Thank him for his service and lock the door behind him

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just like Hines and Polamalu, the decision will need to be taken out of Ben's hands.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ben needs to retire. If he returns at QB, the Steelers will be spinning their wheels in 2021, just like they did from Ravens Wednesday game until the end of the season in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    We had the opportunity to start Mason on rookie contract, and invest money from Ben's contract into other positions. That was not done. It's Mason's last contract year in 2021. Opportunity missed.

Ben can come back for the last hurrah. But they need to reduce his passing load and rely on run game more. Otherwise, it will be pointless. It will be rinse and repeat of 2020 which was not acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Force retire or cut him.. I don't think he can get another starting gig and I can't see him playing as a BU and the GM and Coach should tell him just that...

Oh and I am ready to move on from JuJu as well we need a new attitude keep our damn mouth shut until we actually win something to me that's the AFCCG then you can talk a little ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Ben and a Pouncey both need to be gone, it’s over for them, that’s $27m in savings right there.

Draft a Center and Tackle, pick up a veteran QB to compete with Rudolph. I don’t care who, they’ll be a placeholder until the 2022 draft when you push all your chips in to get your next QB hopefully. 5-11, top 10 pick

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Can't afford his cap hit. Cut him.

10. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I heard today if Ben retires he would have to pay back 12million, unless the Steelers lets him keep it ...... most likely he will take a pay cut and come back for a finale year

11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Let him come back. What difference would it possibly make? Maybe he comes back and has good year if we can do something with the running game. Do we have any offensive linemen on Inured reserve right now that might come back? If the team implodes next year then you can draft higher and perhaps get a good QB. If Randolph takes an offer somewhere else so be it. He's not worth losing sleep over. We'll see what's available out there at QB and make some decisions then. Next year won't matter either way

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    If this happens, there needs to be legitimate competition for the starting QB role. Rudolph, (free agent pickup) and Roethlisberger. If Ben can't beat out Rudolph and new free agent... then he needs to be released or be the backup QB. Truth is... Rudolph would have played a better game last night. Not saying Steelers would have won, but there wouldn't have been the usual numerous batted passes and 4 INTs. Anybody who disagrees is living in De Nile.

• Like Like x 1
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Right! Only fans are allowed to trash talk the opponent! Oh, and Phillip Rivers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We need the money and we can't fix the run with Ben as he wont get under Center and he doesnt like to use PA ..We need to trash this Dink and Dunk stuff ASAP .. Probably should have went to Mason week 13 this season and developed a run game and a PA game you can't win in the playoffs without it...

15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    how do you develop a run game with the backs the steelers have? Ben threw downfield last night and was somewhat effective. I'm not saying Ben is going to be the best QB next year. All I'm saying is the salary cap has always been the Steelers nemesis. All I hear year after year is that the steelers are up against the cap. If letting Ben go saves you enough to make a difference then let him go. But i don't think it makes and difference. Could be wrong I'm not a cap guru kind of guy. Anyway it's just my opinon.

16. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    No way Ben is leaving forty million on the table. He will be back next year and the Steelers will watch us be average for a year. I am guessing 8-8 with rough schedule. Then total rebuild starts next year

17. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If he comes back, he needs to understand he could be on a short leash. If the team needs a spark, it may require pulling him from time to time. I know many feel Mason is not the franchise's future, but you don't know until you give him a shot. At best, it can keep teams guessing who they are going to face.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Then you take the 40 million off the table. He's been calling the shots on this team for far too long and it's well past time it stopped.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If they bring him back, we can't run is Shotgun Offense all year. He needs to give up some control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    And the fact that they thought they could just run shotgun the whole time just shows you how up their own ass this team is. Nah the other teams will never figure it out.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What to do with Ben?!

Either he retires or he is cut. The cap hit is essentially a part of the "going all in" strategy the team had back in 2017 I believe. Have to cut those losses and move on.

If not, expect more of the same; new Offensive Lineman or otherwise.

22. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Apparently that’s what they did with Troy, so there’s no reason they can’t do the same thing with Ben. It’s clearly time for him to go - whether he wants to or not.

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

He is no more shot than Manning in his last year. I still think Cap hit is too great. A lot of guys on our team will not put up with a tanking year with Rudolph.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

All the more reason Big Ben is staying. When the question was posed, those were my suggestions because Omar Kahn has gotten us out of some tricky spots before. I can imagine he can do it again. That said, getting a QB in 2021 is not likely and 2022 is still up in the air.

That said, the plan remains the same. Nab an Offensive Lineman in Round One. Only major saving grace about this offseason really as I personally have my personal best record 11 Offensive Lineman in my Top 32 as of this post. Still updating but I do not think that number is to change barring some extreme circumstances.

25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The amount of work the offensive line needs in order to have a run game was not going to be fixed in week 13, it will take a couple of offseasons.

• Agree Agree x 1