1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Minkah tackling

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PDXSteelers, Jan 11, 2021.

1. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Rant! One of the worst playoff losses ever. I forced myself to watch the highlights (?) this morning. Ben had 2-3 bad passes resulting in interceptions. He did have some good passes, too. I would rather have D. Watson, Mariota, Darnold in that order for next year. Maybe draft a great RB, too.

what was most amazing was how many missed tackles from Minkah resulted in TDS/big gains. I know he is a playmaker, but the tacking was horrendous. Maybe we should package Minkah with some other players to get D. Watson? We could use our 1st round pick on a safety (that can tackle). I am sure others will blast the idea of jettisoning Minkah, but I don’t care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I would go Watson, Darnold and Mariota... in that order. Darnold has more upside than Mariota at this point. I'd love to see the Steelers somehow get D. Watson.... but it would end up similar to his situation in Houston. He wouldn't have much of a team around him.

3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Minkah does display some poor tackling technique at times to be sure. He needs to work on that.

That being said, I'm far more concerned with Edmunds' tackling. Our SS is a freaking turnstile. You try to forgive his inability to play the pass, since he's the strong safety. But, he can't do either very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    The Steelers have drafted pretty well. But that was HUGE reach for a guy that might have been there late as round 3 surely in round 2 No clue why they reached on him. Some say he has been "solid" this year. Well ok but I don't think that's what you expect out of a first round draft pick. I would point out that Jackson was available there but our coaching staff would have ruined Jackson as a QB.

5. Kolbassi

Kolbassi Well-Known Member

May 1, 2017
    two very average safeties doesn't help. edmunds below average.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I brought that up and people said it was no big deal cause of his other skills. The guy takes terrible angles and relies on shoulder tackling too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Minkah is a Cover Safety our scheme forces him to have to tackle more than he should..He is our best DB so we need to keep him and throw out the playbook and build the playbook around Minkah..Again Edmunds is not a Safety he is a LB ...The Safety spot is in much need of speed..

8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I've never bought that crap that secretly he was thought of as a 1st rounds pick by most NFL teams. Some saying he was a top 15 pick. That was crap.

I'm usually pretty up on the draft. Maybe to a lesser extent that year. But I knew we needed a safety, so I studied the safeties that were considered rounds 1-3. Thinking the Steelers would take one by rd 3. When the called his name I thought it was his brother. I got really happy for a split second. Thinking, how did he fall to us. Then, quickly, I remembered that he had already been drafted.

The confusion occurred because I didn't even know he had a brother. I had never heard of him. He was so far down the list that I didn't bother scouting him. Then, all of a sudden, here he is in the first. Did they even say something like "We were surprised he was there" crap? You know, to try to sell it. Terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So you want to talk Watson or Darnold or Mariotta? That is the order they need to be in, but that also is what it will cost you. If Ben retires and we decide to go the trade route, I think you can get Mariotta pretty cheaply. Right now, he is a 10 million dollar cap hit. The Raiders will either trade him, which will probably cost us a 6th rounder?, or they might cut him. We may have a position as a starter to offer that many others cannot. Cause this D is pretty good or at least was early in the year. A solid D takes pressure of the QB to win games by himself. I don't think the Jets move Darnold and Watson is going to cost you a ton.

We could suddenly need a first day starting LT. A first day starting C. A first day starting RB.

This team is a mess and the FO has their work cut out for them.

10. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I agree. I watch Minkah a lot and he is a horrible tackler. Looks like he’s afraid to get hurt

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016