1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rank the collapses of the Mike Tomlin era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    this is the same philosophy that Jason Garrett had with the Cowboys (I live in Dallas). Another terrible coach that underperformed constantly and kept his job to long because ownership wouldn’t do what was needed.

when a coach relies solely on the plan being line up and beat your man then that coach lacks creativity. The best coaches study their opponent’s and exploit any weakness they can find. Tomlin either can’t or is lazy and won’t. Either way it’s not good.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

I remember a cetain someone said " it is what it is" 7-8 months ago, and the world went nuts, now it seems everyone is saying it , and the world is like *meh*....... lol

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

So your in the loop?

4. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Why do they have to fire him and hire another black coach based on what? Because it’s the politically correct thing to do. I want the best coach out there period and his skin color doesn’t or shouldn’t have a damn thing to do with who Art Rooney hires moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I wish he answered the question about who was calling the Defense.

6. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    Fix the Offense and keep the Defense healthy.

7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Rooney is desperately concerned with being viewed as politically correct. You have to realize this. His father was given an ambassadorship to Ireland for supporting President Obama. It will not change until someone else owns the Steelers. I'm saying there are good choices out there right now to hire a minority coach. Make the move if you think Tomlin is the issue. If they don't think Tomlin is the issue there will be no moves made

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    2020 is probably the worst... the team was 11-0 and totally imploded with the exception of the 2nd half vs. Colts and Rudolph Browns game.
    9-7 in 2009 was also an epic collapse with a Super Bowl champion roster.... 2nd worst.
    Then... Tebow debacle
    Jacksonville divisional round 2017

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelers36

Steelers36 New Member

Jan 11, 2021

10. Steelers36

Steelers36 New Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Why not put the blame on the head coach?????? That's where it should be! I always knew when Ben was losing it Tomlin, the Rooney rule hire, should be out also! It exposed the fact the team won in spite of his lack of coaching skills. You can see how UNPREPARED this team was and they always play down to their opponents. Get us a head coach that is the best person for the job, not just because of the color of their skin!

11. Steelers36

Steelers36 New Member

Jan 11, 2021
    Why not put the blame on the head coach?????? That's where it should be! I always knew when Ben was losing it Tomlin, the Rooney rule hire, should be out also! It exposed the fact the team won in spite of his lack of coaching skills. You can see how UNPREPARED this team was and they always play down to their opponents. Get us a head coach that is the best person for the job, not just because of the color of their skin!

12. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Dang, that list makes us look bad and I can`t remember all the details of each season so errors/revision likely needed.

I`ll take a shot at it:

2020: The year we find out Ben is done. So sad. It`s a long time coming, so I rank FIFTH on this list.
    2019: Garbage season and we were lucky to be in contention without Ben. I rank this one EIGTH on this list.
    2018: True collapse if I remember correctly. Didn`t Ben have a good year? I rank FOURTH on this list.
    2017: I draw a blank here. It must have been forgettable, LOL. By default I rank SIXTH on this list.
    2012: That`s a collapse. I rank SECOND on this list.
    2011: Yes embarrassing, but we were going nowhere that year and not very good. I rank this SEVENTH on this list.
    2009: I also blanked this one out. Call it Super Bowl hangover, not hungry collapse. I rank this THIRD on this list.
    2007: That`s a collapse. I rank FIRST on this list.

In general I ranked earlier years higher because Ben was in his prime and more likely (opportunity lost) to win Super Bowls.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Any year we had the big three was bad coaching for not making the afc championship. But the year we did was a joke. Tomlin looked like a pop Warner coach against belichick

14. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I am not a tomlin fan and never have been. His teams never have enough discipline to win if any adversity come their way. He rode the coattails of cowherd defense to his first title and the. Had a magical year in 2019 and the team blew a easily won super bowl. Team has been a joke since. Defense was comically bad for three out of the last five years. No confidence team will be any good for next three season salary cap jail.

15. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Chuck Noll was "The Emperor."

Coach Cowher was "The Chin," or "Cowher Power."

Mike Tomlin is "Coach Collapse." Even his Superbowl win we almost blew because the secondary suddenly looked pedestrian against a barely above .500 team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tomlin is an excellent wordsmith. At least Cowher showed anger and frustration. Yeah he was no better in the playoffs but if I had to guess he would’ve won 1 more with Ben if he stuck around.

17. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    No better in the playoffs?

We lost a few AFCCGs, but we WENT to those AFFCGs! And with subpar QBs to boot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I'd sure like to know who is responsible for putting a backup LB on their #1 WR over and over and over again.

The football IQ on this coaching staff is abysmal.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah was just thinking that when I typed it. Definitely did more with less imo. Defense also was legit

20. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    With substandard QBs, to boot.

Cowher was 12-9 in the playoffs over 15 seasons, Tomlin 8-8 over 15 seasons.

21. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    I enjoyed watching Watt drop back into coverage.

Throw that Steeler Defense playbook call out finally!

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I've been thinking ... Tomlin is a protege of Dungy.

Tomlin has turned us into the Colts of the Manning era, who were renowned for epic collapses.

Our team is built in a similar way when you think about it. A lot more finesse on offense, and a penetrating front seven who really can't stuff the run.

23. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Stephen A and Ryan Clark said it best!! The Steelers main problem is no one is scared to play them!! They have no identity anymore Defense and Offense are soft and get pushed around!!! Not the Bully anymore!!! Period.

24. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020

No one has ever done less with more than Mike Tomlin. They are all pathetic. I suppose my all time would be unleash hell. Don't just look at the record. Go back and look at the record of the teams they lost to down the stretch. We also didn't have injuries to blame. However a lot of times the injuries are Tomlin's fault. Example "we are going to run the wheels off of him". Good job Tomlin because many seasons we lost our work horse for the playoffs because you ran the wheels off of him. he refused to give a backup RB a few touches a game so the #2 guy could stay connected to the team and #1 RB could stay healthy. Instead he would insult someone like Blount then cut Blount so he could make the #1 seed Patriots stronger.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Cowher has a much better playoff record than Tomlin. Tomlin is down to .500 with this loss to the Browns. Pretty sure Cowher is above .500.

• Like Like x 1