1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rank the collapses of the Mike Tomlin era

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Several to choose from:

2020: 11-0 to 12-5, embarrassing loss to Browns B coaching staff
    2019: 8-5 to 8-8
    2018: 7-2-1 to 9-6-1
    2017: Embarrassing loss to Bortles and Jags
    2012: 6-3 to 8-8
    2011: Embarrassing loss to Tebow and Broncos
    2009: Unleash hell from 6-2 to 9-7
    2007: 9-3 to 10-6 and first round loss to Garrard and Jags

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The Buffalo Bills after winning their 4th straight AFCCG said to the NFL, "we're back".

Mike Tomlin to the Pittsburgh Steeler fans at start of 2021 season, "I'm back".

Even I, who generally back Tomlin, want him gone now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If he's smart he gets out of dodge with his "no losing seasons" legacy intact before they blow up this roster. If they actually extend him, that legacy will get tarnished in short order.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Tomlin unfortunately will be back next season, but, Rooney best give him a 500 degree oven hot seat.

This game last night was the final joke for Tomlin.

Both Fictner and Butler need to be gone and take Bubble Yum with you.

Canada and Austin need to take the reins as coordinators.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    this browns team is pretty solid. however, losing to them after they didn't even practice the week of the game and didn't even have their coach there and a few key players...... That really says a lot about the leadership on the Steelers. I've never thought about wholesale changes. Steelers should try to move or release almost all of the O-line, convince Ben to retire, Randy fired, O line coach fired. This team has a ton of issues. Dare i say maybe even tomlin should be on thin ice at this point. A team with zero practice and no coach looked way more prepared, that's really embarrassing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This. Our defense didn’t do squat once again and vs a patch line. It’s almost as if teams game plan and exploit you lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Anyone who can't see that Tomlin is the biggest problem hasn't been paying attention for the last 8 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Agree 100 percent. I don’t believe Tomlin will be fired it’s just not what Rooney will do but I’m with you when you say last night should be the absolute last season that a collapse should be tolerated out of Tomlin without him losing his job. I agree with getting all new coordinators and I give Tomlin pretty much an ultimatum going into next season that’s as clear as day and tell him you either do this, this, and that in 2021 and if you fall short in any of those areas you’re fired. It’s officially come to that point.

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    There will be no hot seat from Rooney. There will be zero thoughts on letting him go. He is the coach here as long as he wants to be. The Rooneys are trapped by their own Rooney rule. I'm not sure Tomlin has to go or not but he is as safe here as if he were in his momma's arms. Perhaps his coordinators might be shown the door but then who will he bring in? I have no clue. I have zero hope that this team will make any significant moves at all.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Hot

Hot New Member

Jan 11, 2021
    This would be up there.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The problem is none of the higher-ups in the Steelers organization think Tomlin is the problem or he would have been gone after the Dungy 'elephant in the room' interview/jax playoff loss season. He certainly wouldn't have had his contract extended at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I do not understand why the Rooney rule makes us keep him? I understand the optics but hell hire another minority candidate if that's the only reason hes staying around. Bieniemy, Kris Richard, and Saleh, there's 3 off the top of my head I would fire Tomlin for Richard is a reach but I don't care, I want Tomlin GONE.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I do not disagree. Just pointing out the trap the Rooney's are in. Bienemy would be a GREAT hire. But it won't happen

14. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I know they wont, there's plenty of capable and deserving coaches out there. Cut bait with the Fraud that we call a coach for someone on the rise.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Not the Steelers. "We do what we do against nameless, grey faces" "Line up and beat your man"

The Steelers coaching staff got outcoached by half of the Browns' coaching staff.

Let that sink in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He'd be a fool to take this job with the roster purge that is coming.

17. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I disagree. It's obvious this team needs a rebuild. Perfect oppurtunity for a young coach to put his stamp on his team. We have some good players returning. The cupboard is not completely bare. It will be tough no doubt but it is still a great opportunity for him

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    This is the worst collapse.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Jim Connelly from 93.7 The Fan Pittsburgh asked Tomlin at the post game presser how he should be held accountable for the collapse more then this season down the stretch and he said "It is what it is"... yep The Standard is the Standard...and called him Ben :lolol:

Go to 3 minutes and enjoy:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Perhaps running backs are not "a dime a dozen" We have no really good running backs

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    His response was really no response.
    "it what it is"
    "our record is our record:"
    "our performances are our performances"
    "you can't run away from that"
    Absolute blather

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Firing Mike Tomlin or deciding to let him go has absolutely zero percent to do with the color of his skin and him being a black man. I don’t care if he is white black purple blue whatever. If you are not doing you’re job there are consequences and accountability period. He is not getting the job done here period and it has nothing to do with his skin color and Rooney not firing him or putting him on notice because of that is absolutely insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I was speaking from the Rooney rule point of view. Not mine. They hired a black coach and simply cannot fire him unless they hire another black coach. There are good black candidates out there now. Now is the time to make that change. But Tomlin "has never had a losing season"

24. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Yep that was an unacceptable inexcusable answer. He had a chance there to take some accountability and he said nothing.

25. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    baffle them with bull****