1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who thinks punting the ball was incredibly stupid ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ytownsteeler, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    It is what it is. He'll have to look at that.

2. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    on the punt....my wife saw some weird stat on twitter - something like this was only the 4th time a team punted on 4th and 1, having the ball past the 40 and down by that many points that late in the game.

3. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Gaining 1-2 yards when it counts has been our Kryptonite this year

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it was a good call. Defense was playing well at that point. I sure didn't see them falling apart again after that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Chris Collensworth does. 1000%.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. JPP

JPP Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Punting was not the play. In a 1 score game, maybe. Not at that point. Yeah the defense had stopped them but you had no reason to think they'd stop them for a whole half. It's 1 yard. If you think you're getting a three and out, you got stop them if you don't make it. Go for it. Steelers had all the momentum. He punted the momentum away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Titans HC is being asked the same question.

8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    It was stuipid, we already converted on a 4th down or 2 earlier in the game ,

9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I watched KC this year, does anything think honestly that In that circumstance, Reid and Mahomes punt that ball, absolutely 100% no. That is why Tomlin is not a big game situation coach. I like Tomlin but it wasn’t about the momentum the Steelers had at that point, it would have been more about the Browns psychie being up 28 then having that cut to 5 pts with a TD. Tomlin and the Steelers did a great job mounting a comeback but when the final push was needed, Tomlin blinked and that is what separates good coaches from great ones. Even a FG on that drive if converted would cut the lead to a single digit deficit of 9 points. He was already down by 28 pts he had nothing to lose and still went conservative. In my mind he didn’t allow the Team to go down swinging.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We needed to keep it a 2 score game if we wanted a chance to win. If we didn't get it, all Cleveland had to do was pick up a few yards and they are in field goal range.

11. djac111

djac111 Active Member

Mar 28, 2018
    No win situation for Tomlin .. The ball was around our own 45 yard line .. Punting was the correct choice ..Pin them deep and play defense .. BUT , if we go for it (without a running game all season) and don't get it ... The same criticism would have came .. Fire Tomlin please so he can go to a team that appreciate a hof coach without a losing season . For some reason most here think we have a good roster ..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    The difference is Mahomes, we have an aging Ben. He consistently gets yards in bunches when they go for it. Mahomes presents issues for the opposing Defense and that also opens up passing lanes for him. Ben is no threat to run, so the D can cheat.

Ben won't even do QB sneaks but Brady still does. I would have punted.

Guarantee, if Tomlin had gone for it and missed, we would have the folks saying go for it, screaming about going for it. Some folks on this board has an agenda.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Should have went for it.

14. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    It was the wrong decision simply based on time left in game, points down and number of possessions needed. Since we gave up on that possession, if we dont hold them scoreless, we would have needed another possession on top of that one as well. You have to play the situation you are in at the time and cant count on the future what if's. Our defense was shredded early in the game and yes we had 3 good series, but for the most part the Browns abused them all night long. The offense had momentum and Tomlin chose to give it back to them. BAD CALL, BAD SITUATIONAL AWARENESS AND EXTREMELY COSTLY AT THE TIME WHEN WE NEEDED A LEADER TO INSTILL CONFIDENCE AND LEAD THE WAY!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We are at the bottom of the NFL on short yardage IMO he had more faith in the D than the ability to get 1 yard..This Team must develop a short yardage package and game plan...They need to spend 2 practices a week at least on nothing but short yardage...

16. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Not as bad as punting from the Browns 37 down 28-0, but bad.

Ben's arm carried Tomlin for years, now that the arm is failing, Tomlin is being exposed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The way I look at this is it was obviously the wrong thing to do because we ended up losing. Had we gone for it or done something to maintain possession, and succeeded, the outcome could have changed. We'll never know what could have happened, only what did and it wasn't good.

18. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1