1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just some observations going into the 2021 Playoffs

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    The league obviously changed the interpretation of what is a hold so I am wondering if it makes sense for the Steelers to actually look at film and stats of the current Ref team that will be officiatiing.

Maybe bring in some officials that can look at some scrimmages?

The other thing is conditioning. There are all sorts of arguments whether to rest players, practice in pads, weights, cardio

I dont know if the injury bug was worse this year and of course everyones healing time is diff but maybe the Covid schedule caused some of those games.... where the Steelers looked out physicaled and not reading a play based on formation and personnel packages...to look slow.

Also..does anyone know who is in charge of instant replays? I think Tomlin trusts Ben when to call timeouts on offense if a good look is needed.

Apparently most coaches have someone in the booth that look at these plays.

2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Or, just tell your OL to hold as much as they can, so long as they keep the defender in front of them, until it’s called.

I recall BB having his defenders do the same with wideouts. If the refs aren’t going to call it, pull the envelope to your advantage.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Sounds positively Belichik-ian!

(Seriously, I do a similar thing in my job. Overkill, perhaps, but I think it’s made a difference.)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This what happened in 2001. There was not only spygate, but it was Belichick's strategy vs. the Steelers and even more so, against Marshall Faulk in the Super Bowl.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If we don't give up a punt return, and a block field goal return. Doesn't matter. That will beat most teams

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    As soon as the Steelers OL start to hold, the refs will start to call it, but Watt can't get any calls :facepalm:.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Holding calls have become a joke, they let holding go on unchecked for the most part but will call it randomly to give the appearance of fairness or balance.

I get what they are trying to do, they want more offence etc. I think a sensible compromise is to instruct refs to call holding only when it impacts play. You don’t want to call back a TD or chunk play for a hold that had no bearing on the play, but equally you can’t not call a blatant hold on a rusher that prevents him getting to the QB.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't want the Steelers to have to play Bills or Ravens again.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’d rather have the Ravens take out KC and play them instead of KC.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    My thoughts going into playoffs are simple, Please give me another week to dream Steelers.

Six games this weekend, should drive my wife crazy. AFC interest me the most but strangely tonight's Bucs/Skins game has my interest. I have a morbid fascination with Brady and AB, two people I despise.

You would think of the 6 games there will be at least 1 upset. I just hope to hell in happens before Sunday night.

LET'S GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    James Harrison used to get held by definition but probably only got called a fraction of the time.

The tackles were like 6'6" and he was like 6' so his center of gravity was such an advantage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Hate to break it to you, but our guys hold too. All OL do on basically every play. There's obviously different degrees of holding, but our guys definitely hold too. The league is not against us. We are one of the crown jewels of the league and Watt is one of the premier players.

Seattle's Legion of boom defence was known for their holding and PI. They did it so often that they basically dared the refs to call it. The refs did of course, but Seattle would keep doing it. The refs would hesitate to call too many penalties. Plus when it happens every play, it begins to look normal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes and no. I see your point, but I can't stomach the thought of losing to Baltimore in the playoffs. It will make me sick. If we lose to KC, I can chalk it up to getting beat by the best team in the league.

Of course we can beat Baltimore, but they went into the playoffs at the top of their game. We didn't

14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, I agree that losing to Baltimore would be a bitter pill, but Lamar Jackson has had two of his worst games as a pro vs. our defense. I would like our chances with a healthy Ben.

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is a game with one team who hasn't been or won a playoff game in 17 years vs a team that hasn't won a playoff game in a decade. One team has had talent and squandered it (HOF Coach? and QB?) and the other has been a dumpster fire with coaches and players. At this point its who is better prepared and wants to win the most. I am not even thinking of who we'd rather play later i.e. Baltimore, KC etc until we can just get by the Clowns. Recent playoff history makes this as sure of a win as the Bungles game was anticipated to be.

16. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Id like to see:
    Colts
    Rams
    WFT
    Titans
    Saints
    Steelers

I’m probably only right with the last two

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well Colts looking good early but that is the key word, early.

18. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Keep the lead and continue to play well. The longer it goes, the more likely Bills start seeing ghosts of playoffs past. They haven’t won since 1995. lol, I don’t honk that matters. More importantly it’s a big game and their nerves can make it where they don’t play their best.

Colts beat the Packers. No reason they can’t beat the Bills today. Buffalo used to being up by several scores.

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Josh Allen kind of reminds me of a young Ben. Fearless. However, less of a passer, but more run ability. Tough all around package.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, would rather see Colts. Our O-line matches up horribly against the Bills from what I remember.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    What's amazing is that his mechanics were not good the first couple years and it was questionable if he would come into his own. But he worked on those with coaches and staff and overcame them and here we are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Who exactly does the Steelers O-line match is well against.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My observation:

Steelers can lose or win against any team in the playoffs. They have a shot if they stay healthy and play to their full potential.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    We are who we are, and we are who we think we are damn it, so let's just crown us champions and be done with it.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    How about wait until the Steelers beat the Browns first, before worrying about the next opponent.