1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a thought ! Trade TJ Watt this offseason.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RichD, Jan 6, 2021.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't next year. He will be making 10 million in his 5th year option. Ben will most likely still be here. That said, in year 6 you would have the option to franchise him. By then Ben may be moving on or come year 7 when Ben does move on and Highsmith should be well entrenched you could give it a thought. :cool:

2. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

3. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    I'd trade him for a franchise QB in an instant; Justin Herbert types. But no way that's happening.

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Indeed - precisely my point. And the Bell trade is going over like a floater in a punch bowl with the few fans who remain. Guess the Buccos are still reeling from the Jason Kendall contract and are shy to re-sign anyone for over $1 million at a time. :facepalm:

5. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    ban this account. WTF

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I've come to understand that in my life time I will never see the Pirates play in a world series again. Not with the carpetbagger owner we have now. Sad but I guess I have no input into that. Sorry I didn't get your point about the trade

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm trying to remember what the record number of "disagrees" is for the board. It may be around 20 (I think some thread a couple of years ago about Franco Harris sucking). I thought this one would have a chance, but it's only up to 9 right now.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think he would hold out if they don’t pay him this off season, he has more than earned it. The last thing anybody wants is for it to get ugly.

Most of the top performers in his draft class have already been paid, and TJ has arguably outperformed them all bar Mahomes and Watson. It’s time for the Steelers to pay up, regardless of cap pressure they have to find a way.

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

When they salary share their respective pays is when i consider them individual stocks . For now I am going to the digital tokenization of players contracts.

10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Watt is a generational player like Polamalu, Woodson and Harrison (sorry SDOT).

• Like Like x 2
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Have they paid any other player before the 5th year option was up? He signed the contract being a first round pick. He didn't make peanuts doing so knowing the 5th year option was part of the deal. Why would the steelers pay twice as much as they have to and lose other players in the process? :cool:

12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They paid Heyward and Decastro after year 4 iirc. I’m sure they’d have paid Shazier too but he didn’t get that far unfortunately. I don’t think anybody else warranted it since the fifth year option came in. Jarvis Jones, Bud Dupree, Artie Burns had not done enough by year four to earn a second contract as we all know.

Its not a case of paying him twice as much, they can give him his new contract and signing bonus but let the bigger money kick in from 2022. It’s about giving him the security he has earned. If they manage it correctly there should be minimal collateral damage. When you decide to pay a franchise player you are always going to lose guys elsewhere eventually.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    There was one that was around 30

14. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What does the D stand for? I can guess...

8====D

15. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Where's the green font?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    If you pay a player $20M for his sack total, then the payer is a FOOL. You pay $20M for a superior defensive player who impacts a high percentage of the team's defensive plays. A consistent disruptor of the opponent's offense is paid well, not a sack artist. This is what TJ Watt is, a disruptor. Without Watt's constant pressure on both pass and run snaps the Steeler's defense would be mediocre. There is a reason back in the day sacks totals were not kept. They represent less than 2% of all the snaps. Sacks are a showtime statistic for television.

TJ Watt
    Yr
    ......# Snaps Sack Ct % of Sanps
    2017 ......751...........7.0..........0.93%
    2018 ......902.........13.0..........1.44%
    2019 ......935.........14.5..........1.55%
    2020 ......855.........15.0..........1.75%
    ........... 3443........49.5......... 1.44%

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't see much happening until Ben is off the books. Pouncey as well. Maybe even DD. Haden. We will have tj and minka to deal with at that time. That's 40-50 million dollars or more to play with.:cool:

18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’ll be stunned if they dont extend him this off season, TJ seems like a very pragmatic and reasonable guy but if they don’t pay him this year he should hold out. There are ways to do it without impacting the cap in 2021 and I expect that’s how it will play out. We will see.

They’ll have the same issue with Minkah next off season, he just made his second straight All Pro first team as it happens.

19. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    you'd have to go back to the "fire Coach Cowher!" days to top that.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

they will be paying him over 10 million dollars. If he wants to leave that on the table that's fine but they will hold the same card a year later too. I don't see him holding out. If it was him being franchised that would be different. :cool:

21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    We can agree to disagree. If he wins DPOY (or tbh even if he doesn’t) I think at this point you have to pay him or risk damaging the relationship between team and player.

Like I said, you can do it without crippling yourself in 2021. Why hold back? He is the franchise player at this point, you’ll be doing it the following off season anyway, just give him what he has earned imo. He has played for peanuts for four years, this day was always coming.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hopefully they can use Derek's money as a reduction in figuring TJ's new contract.

TJs +DJs money should equal the total amount that the Steelers Front office is offering TJ Watt for a new contract!

23. Jimboinaz

Jimboinaz Active Member

Dec 24, 2020
    Comparing TJ Watt to Josh Bell is crazy. Bell had one good half season and has been average at best for the Pirates. TJ Watt is an All Pro and MVP candidate.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He's already going from 1.7 mil. to over 10 which will make him the highest paid guy on the team. I'm not sure how much holding back there is.:cool:

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Trade him for a draft pick and then hope like hell that draft pick turns into half the player watt is? Is that the plan?

You don't trade away young players like Watt. You build around them.

• Winner Winner x 1