1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Cam Heyward

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Jan 8, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

BENCH MINKAH! HE CANT TACKLE!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Again serious question on a frivolous thread. What would an expensive, aging, but still capable Cam fetch in a trade?

personally, I doubt you’d get more than 3rd rounder for him. So... you might as well keep him. Curious if others see it the same or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This team is in a position to win now, you dont start a rebuild when you are this close to a SB.

Now if Ben retires or shows he has no game left in the remainder of this season, might change things depending how they address the QB situation.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    We've been in that "so close to a SB" mode for like 7 years now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed! Great player but aging, and a big salary... Crappy teams aren't trading for him...And teams that are good,close to being over the top... Aren't spending that kind of dough...When they don't know how many more "great" seasons he has left!

6. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    let me repeat this for you...TOMLIN WILL NEVER BE FIRED! if you dont understand that, you havent paid attention to 2020

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think Cam is exceptional, yet like any other player that age will slow sooner than later. Some DL were still good at 34..not many. He has a couple of years in the tank, and gives you all pro level play...most 3rd rounders do not. So yes ride that bus because he is still one of the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He only made All Pro this year...he sucks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not really, the defense puts them closer than they’ve ever been since their last SB. Well, prior to the injuries.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I started the thread that Minkah can't tackle but I never advocated for his benching. That would be purely stupid. He still can't tackle very well though and takes some bad angles quite a bit.

11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Cam Heyward has grown man strength and he might still be productive at 32, 33 or even 34. He might lose a step but speed is not his game.
    There are plays where he pushes the LT and holds off the guard with one arm, some games I find myself watching Cam do his thing he is a beast.
    His sack count might never be double digit but the push he gets is incredible and does a lot to free up the OLB on his side.
    I think he has great value to the Steelers but think at his age he might only garner a 2nd or 3 rd round pick. Unless they get both picks then trade them to gain another 1st rd pick then trade that 1st with our own 1st rd pick to get a top 5 pick . Then they get Trevor Lawrence who has fallen to 5 for something to do with his birthday party and no one came. Steelers were the only team that understood it was because of covid.
    Oh sorry lost my mind I think I was writing the script for DRAFT DAY 2.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I didn't mean this to be frivolous, but that is a fair point. I'm thinking a contender who needs a piece of front might be a little more motivated buyer. Tampa/NO/GB might all be looking for a piece for their aging franchise QBs, for instance.

Compromise - keep him until the trade deadline, if the Steelers are as bad as I think they'll be, fire sale time.

13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He is worth more to the Steelers than they’d get back in a trade. It may free up some salary cap down the road but salary cap is overrated, it’s all about production, and you are virtually guaranteed that with Cam. He doesn’t usually miss much time either.

They can’t trade him anyway, too much dead cap after that recent extension. If the teams needs to free up money they can restructure guys like Tuitt, Cam, Nelson, Boswell, extend or release / retire Pouncey, DeCastro, Ben, Haden. Trading Cam Heyward makes no sense when you have other options.

14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    If Pouncey, DD, Ben, and Haden are gone, it would be cruel to deny Cam a shot at a Super Bowl before he retires.

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    If Cam wants to leave that is a different matter entirely, I don’t think there is any evidence of that. He has publicly stated that he wants to be a Steeler for life. I would imagine that he’d be devastated if the team traded him.

The team needs to move on from some of the expensive veterans and hit on their next few drafts, if they do that they’ll be as close as anybody. QB is the biggest piece of the puzzle when Ben goes of course.

Aside from KC (who are in deep cap trouble themselves) where can he realistically go that’ll guarantee him a better shot at a SuperBowl?

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    This thread is pointless...

17. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    We go from sign everyone to trade everyone.. there's some hot messes on this board

• Like Like x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No!!!!! Glem m is our 5th string QB that can write his own ticket. He will outlast all of them. :cool:

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I thought I read that by adding another game the cap total may not be as bad as projected.

20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I can't wait to see what will be posted when the season is finally over.

21. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Trade him for somebody who wants Tomlin and Ben gone.

22. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    We wouldn’t get crap back in return

23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    11 actually

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Too late -- he tanked his value tonight. Dominated by backups all night.

Maybe he should just hang it up.

25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Heyward and Tuitt frustrate me, there are some games they dominate, especially early in the season ... Then there are some where they are totally a non-factor.

We have so much money tied up in the guys, they need to produce every time they go out there.

• Agree Agree x 1