1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Deshaun Watson possibly asking for trade this offseason, per ProFootballTalk

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Jan 7, 2021.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Like everyday there's a new thread about the Steelers acquiring another QB, news flash the Steelers will have Ben/Mason as their top 2 QBs in 2021.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is a non-starter unless Roethlisberger retires.

I doubt the Steelers have the assets to do it, anyway, but I'd certainly do it. The Texans foolishly traded Hopkins and Watson still tore it up this season. The team around him sucked, but Watson was one of the top five quarterbacks in the NFL this season. Mahomes, Rodgers, and Allen were definitely better. You could make an argument for Wilson. That's it.

3. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Did AOC get in you're ear about wasting server space? Green new deal ? Cow farts ?

TimesUp
    This message by TimesUp has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 3
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
  5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I am as big a Big Ben fan as anyone. But just like Hines and Polomalu, the Steelers may have to intervene and push retirement. Ben no longer wants to play under center. He has showed his age during a bad 4 game stretch. He is still an excellent QB when his body is able. Recently he is reminding me a lot of Eli Manning. He looks like a QB that will do just about anything to not take a hit.

This Watson thing is quite hypothetical. But if the Steelers had the opportunity to get a top 5 franchise QB for the next 10 years, that is in his prime, they would be foolish not to try.

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I still say we can bring Ben back if we can revamp the o-line and draft a back that can beat off defenders!!!

7. SteelRaj

SteelRaj Active Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Yes, please!

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    D32AA438-6D5B-456D-AB19-46819EEE5DA2.png

stellar stats. With his mobility we would be a Super Bowl favorite

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    The difference here is that Deshaun Watson is worth the cap hit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I begged on these pages during the year he was drafted for the Steelers to do
    anything possible to get him. We could have possibly worked a trade out at that time.
    Water under the bridge.

11. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    As Glemm would say.....

Sign him!!

Sign everyone!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    What are we now?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Even if Ben is cut or retires, they're still on the hook for $22M next year. They were already going to purge a lot of cap/players, if you add Deshaun, they'll have to make room by purging even more.

How will this be better than his situation in Houston?

As far as top 5, he was statistically, but they still didn't score a lot of points. At some point a top QB has to lead his offense to more points. He's a great passer and dangerous runner, but he takes a lot of sacks. Not sure he's a good game manager.

I didn't see him play a lot, though, so I could change my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think he was drafted in 2017. I would have loved it but just couldn't see him being a back up QB for the past 4 years.

15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
  16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    So you're saying there is a chance?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Funny what some would do spending other peoples money. NO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    A contender, hence I said if Ben left. He’s way better than dobbs or mason.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He takes a lot of sacks because the line in front of him is terrible. He also doesn't have much in the way of weapons.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I just got 2 say it. Everyone gets mad at Ben....doing what he wants, won't go under center, can't call certain plays cause he don't like them. After hes been here since 2004, been to 3 SBs, won 2. YET U would take a Qb that has won squat, complains everytime the Team doesn't ask him if it's ok 2 trade player, hire or fire coach, or Gm. I'm confused :shrug: Just cause he had good stats this year. Does anyone remember what Bill Cowher use 2 say about stats....they were what losers looked at...2 make them feel better

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Watson has every reason to be frustrated with his situation. What Bill O’Brien did to that franchise in recent years was almost sabotage. How ownership left him do it I’ll never know.

Doesn’t matter anyway, I doubt he is traded and the Steelers won’t be in the running if he is. The only two franchises with the resources to pull off a trade for him are the Jets and Dolphins. They can offer multiple first round picks and one of Tua / Darnold going the other way.

Imagine if the Phins traded Houston’s own picks back to them for Watson. It would be like the ghost of Bill O’Brien back to rob them once again

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Financially this is nearly impossible, I mean you could let JuJu go, AV, Bud and some others and maybe pull it off but if they could do it, it would be a tremendous addition.

He’s one of the best QB’s in the league. He had Will Fuller to throw to and thats it and I still recall them putting up a lot of points with no line and no RB.
    Even without JuJu the Steelers still have DJ, Claypool and JW plus whoever they draft which is a position they are pretty good at drafting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    He was so horrible it had to be intentional

25. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Idk what would be worse. It Being intentional or just being that bad at your job