1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steelers' 2020 Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I disagreed with some of what the Steelers did on draft day. I still disagree with a couple of things they did, but it is hard to argue with the results.

Pro Football Focus named both Kevin Dotson and Alex Highsmith to its all-rookie team.

Chase Claypool is better than either of them, but there is a hell of a rookie class at wide receiver this year.

McFarland has flashed a little, but not much. Davis is at least giving them some snaps on defense. Brooks even played a little.

It is tough to argue with that type of production, especially when the team had no first-round pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    For not having a #1 pick it was one heck of job.

3 future starters

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Tee Higgins or even Aiyuk over Chase Claypool is subjective at best.

From what we know to date this was a tremendous draft by the Steelers. They’ll need another one in 2021 considering all the free agents they are about to lose.

I still hold hope for McFarland as a change of pace / third down back, he may have a breakout year at some point with more development, a better line and better blocking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    At the time I thought the draft was pretty average. Looking at it now, it was far better than that.

5. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm not bitching it all, I hope we stack more like it down the road.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think McFarland still can be a good player, it’s just near impossible for a guy like him to run behind this line.

I think they also need to get him out in space more, too much trying to run between the tackles which he was actually good at in college but again, not happening with this line and his size.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Loved the Dotson and McFarland picks, didn't love Claypool (wanted Dobbins, thought he'd struggle to get open), liked Highsmith OK, didn't think he'd play much.

Still like McFarland, but we should be using him like Kamara, not Bettis. Maybe Canada can get more out of him next year when Fichtner is gone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    If Brooks can become a decent back up, that would really help as well.

9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I was singing this draft's praises from the moment it was completed...…. glad to see people are coming around

• Like Like x 3
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My primary issue with it was that I wanted them to draft Biadasz, who also made the list.

The funny thing is they have Dotson with a high grade for pass blocking, but poor blocking for the run.

11. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    By year two three of them will be full time starter's, thats pretty good when you consider they didn't have a 1st rd pick. Highsmith replaces Bud or adds excellent depth if we somehow can keep Bud. Claypool is a star in the making , size ,speed , hands and can already adjust to even poorly thrown balls to give himself a chance. As good as the first two are I think Dotson might be a steal I can see him being the anchor of this offensive line for the next 10 to 12 years. His pass protection is better than expected and he flat out moves people, they haven't had a road grader left guard since Kemowhatafella.

12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

That is funny considering that Dotson was the highest graded run blocker in the draft and experts thought he needed more tutelage in pass protection...….. Truth is that Dotson has proven strong in both and we have a major building block

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He was my sleeper pick because of his run blocking. Road grader was the consensus.