1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Claypool

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Seriously, anytime they get single coverage on him, just put it up. You won't hit every time but you'll hit enough to make it worthwhile.

Not to mention, that will open things up underneath, and ultimately open things up for everyone else.

Use him. He's the greatest weapon we've had in awhile.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He should be targeted alot going forward, get him involved early and often. He can be a difference maker
    in these playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Our entire chances rest on the the receivers and Ben.

But you can't fault Claypool, Joe Haden said in training camp that he was gonna be trouble for NFL CB"s and he wasn't wrong.

Much credit to the 2020 draft with no 1st round pick.

3 starters going forward.

Claypool, Highsmith, and Dotson

McFarland looks like a waste, but we stink so bad at run blocking maybe there is more there and we just aren't seeing it yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Most likely the scheme. We treat every back like he's Jerome Bettis. Kamara would be a "meh" running back in Pittsburgh with 25 catches a season.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You can't judge McFarland on his limited snaps, Snell improved from his rookie year to his second season, I expect more from Mcfarland next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Teams are using double coverage on Claypool on the deep routes.

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Mcfarland seems to impatient or seems to have jittery feet as a rookie. Lack of a real camp and preseason games probably hurt some of the rookies chances this year. Mcfarland could take a bigger step forward next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    last I checked, Claypool leads the league in drawing PI's...…… there's just no other way to defend him

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    claypool didn't make the PFF all rookie team. Jefferson, aiyuk, and T higgins made it instead. not if you ask me though....

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This class was ridiculous. Ironically Ruggs has the worst stats of all those 1st-2nd rounders.

11. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Once we started doing it and putting the game out of reach, the refs would let him get mugged again

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2021
    Felt like the coaches were just trying to limit Claypools snaps to keep him healthy for playoffs...at least that’s my hope. Time to unleash the beast!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I was ecstatic when they made the Claypool selection as the team needed two major needs at Wide Receiver. The first was stretching the field so that the entire Offense could benefit considering James Washington sadly has not done that. However, the second is far more important.

Finding JuJu's successor was of the upmost importance. Sure the "Thermonuclear Option" would have been nice on its own but that only solves half of the second issue. Having Chase becoming more well rounded in his overall craft was critical as that prevents the Defense from simply having their corner play soft man and bump the other Receiver's. Now, opposing Defensive Backs have ZERO clue how they should cover these Receivers as there really is not a simple answer.

Realisitcially, this major Offensive turnaround in the air attack is summed up in three parts. Part one is the inconsistent yet explosive playmaking of Diontae Johnson. The second is the reliability of JuJu Smith Schuster. The final one is the "Thermonuclear Option" that is Chase Claypool.

Add these three up and players like Eric Ebron, who are quality players in their own right, see far more one on one matchups than without.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not shocking because I am certain Mike Mayock saw some "Tyreek Hill" in Henry Ruggs. This leads me to my biggest complaint about prospect player comps; laziness. Not saying Mayock did not due his due diligence but Ruggs was by no means a finished product and greatly benefited from the likes of Jeudy and DeVonta Smith. That however is not the biggest damnation of the selection.

Tyreek Hill has become who he is today because he too was by no means a finished product. He had world class speed but limited as a Special Teams player. He had to work hard to fully realize his full potential. Once that happened, then and only then would his world class speed be of any use to him.

Expecting these college players to live up to these "insert special player" comps out that still do not understand the basics and principles of the position is what ruin NFL Careers. It happens more times than others give it credit for. For a better example, see Jadeveon Clowney; a 4-3 Defensive End by trade but was pigeonholed into something he never did.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Totally agree with your assessment. The only question though is will Ben use these three great weapons at his disposal? The short passing game he’s tended to favor in the second half of the season negates any advantage that Claypool’s abilities should be giving us. Hopefully that all changes on Sunday.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Keep in mind I did say Chase has gotten more well rounded. How much more though is a good question. I suppose all of us will have to wait and see come Sunday Night.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021