1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Vance McDonald

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Jan 4, 2021.

1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Everyone.

I realize that Ebron has taken over as the "Catching" TE and Vance is the "Blocking" TE. I think, for the most part, this strategy has worked well. However, I think now is the time to take the "leash" off of Vance. Actually, it is overdue IMO. The man is built more from the Heath Miller mold. He is very capable of having a game with the following:
    • 5-10 Catches
    • 50-70 Yards
    • 1-2 TDs
    • Excellent YAC
    He is brutal, punishing. I love it!

I think that it is a mistake not using him more in regards to Offensive production. I realize that he has stated that he is fine with the blocking role. I am not sure if he is just saying that to not cause any waves or he is sincerely content with his pre-dominant blocking "role". I am pretty sure he would like to get some touches each game. More so, I think it just gives opposing teams one more thing to think about from an already "stacked" set of Offensive Skill-Set players.

We have to make opposing teams respect and account for Vance from a pass catching standpoint as well as his blocking abilities. When I was writing about all of our "Pass Catchers" back in the Spring/Summer I had him right there with this current group. I love the down the middle seam of the field for those 10-20 yard passes that Ben and Heath used to connect on. It seems that Ebron has taken Heath's place in regards to those plays. They were very effective and kept drives alive. Right now, because of his minimal Offensive production this season, I think this could help in so many ways; especially catching some teams "off guard" possibly. Again, he would become one more option that opposing teams have to account for which really has not been the case so far this season.

We have seen his production in the past so we know what he is capable of. It is Playoff time. Time to pull out all of the stops. Getting Vance involved more in our Offense is way overdue.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He also needs targeted going forward, let them 200 lb db's get tired
    of tackling this violent player that is not afraid of contact. LOL He will probably be hurt
    with a hang nail.

3. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Vance McDonald could help his case quite a bit by getting open.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not going to happen, Ebron can get sown field better than Vance at this point.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Wardismvp.

Yes, the man is a "load" to try and take down. I love the word "violent" that you used. That sums him up perfectly. He physically overmatches many of the league's dbs and safeties. He has had success in the past. It is well documented. I get it that Ebron is the more "athletic" out of the two. I have no problem with Ebron getting the majority of the passes out of the two TEs. Ben does seem to have developed a great chemistry with Ebron. Given that, I still think that Vance should get a set number of targets each game. He is another weapon that we have in our arsenal but really has not been tapped into for most of the season. IMO, he is being underutilized in the capacity as an Offensive weapon.

Again, I will stick with my comments back from the Spring and Summer. This Offense can potentially put up anywhere from 30-40 points/game. The Offense is just way too talented and has great depth. We have the arsenal to make this happen. If we can pick up Offensively where we left off from in the second half of the Colt's game, then we really should be a major problem for opposing teams going into the playoffs.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    They've probably got him running Ebron's routes which I bet don't work well for an actual TE.

7. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    True, but Enron’s got to catch the ball when he gets there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It amazes me how he has been eliminated from the passing game. Not only this season.

He is signed next season at a cap hit of $7,727,500 :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They really don't need him to get open so much as they need him to be considered a threat. Right now the best way to defend the Steelers offense is to clog everything up, force the receivers to fight through contact to reach 10 yards and then get clear, the TE's and RB's are held in check by keeping so many defenders in the box or close to the LOS. They need the threat of a TE on a smaller safety or slow linebacker to force better matchups on skill positions. If Vance can suck an MLB/OLB into running with him or a safety down to bracket him this will give Chase/Washington one on one outside with the safety having to make the decision who is a bigger threat.

It would also help if the designed RB passes would hit the back in stride instead of having him stop, turn, make the catch, turn back and try to get up to speed. Defenses unlike the Steelers are quick to identify the back sitting in a soft spot, realizing there is no threat left, abandon their zone to move towards the back as the play progresses. The Steelers have a tendency to stick to their zone even when no one is in it and stare at an open man going. Thats not my man.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Or, ebron starts blocking better.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Thats a very tall order Mac.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    To be considered a threat, a tight end needs to catch some passes. The quarterback needs to throw the ball to the tight end in order for him to catch passes. The tight end needs to be open in order for the quarterback to select him from the others running pass patterns. Ergo, Vance McDonald should work to get open more often to be considered a threat.

What you describe above is McDonald being used as a decoy.

That being said, the Steelers could design some plays to help Vance McDonald get open. One way would be to mimic what Cleveland did with Austin Hooper . . . have McDonald run a crossing route against the grain.

McDonald's problem is he isn't fast or shifty enough to provide a viable option for a QB who releases the ball in 2 seconds or less. His 5 catches on 6 targets for 33 yards is about what we can expect without Eric Ebron. If Ebron is available on Sunday, Vance will see his production revert to his previous 2020 levels. I would like to see him catch the ball in stride and work up a head of steam and stiff arm a defensive back to the ground, but I just don't see that happening in this offensive scheme.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He will be cut, they will need that cap space.

14. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I wonder what his value is on the open market, I guess way more than we can afford. His contract was renegotiated in 2020 from $12.8M to $10.3M. They will be thin at TE but I guess it was inevitable either Ebron or he has to go in 2021.

Ebron would save $6 million in cap while Vance saves $5.2.

15. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    they need to throw to Vance more. Ebron is not a "Steeler" to me. He's had one good year, can't block, can't really catch, and is soft.

16. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It all comes back to the packages Ben likes. He seems to be in love with 3 wr, TE and single back. If Ebron is in strong possibility of a pass play, if its Mac then strong possibility of draw/delay run play or a rb screen. Now if they could go dbl TE and throw to Mac i think opposing defenses would have to play it more honestly.

• Agree Agree x 2