1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin states we may dress 3

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    On short yardage, I would rather dress Kevin Rader and use a 3 TE formation. Rader did well on special teams, so giving him a helmet wouldn't be just for short yardage situations.

2. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I can't see Ben liking coming out of the game for another QB at all...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    https://steelersdepot.com/2021/01/r...y-playing-again-against-browns-im-all-for-it/

Well here you go Ben knows his time is short so you do anything you can to win ... The only way Dobbs doesn't play from my perspective is we never have a short yardage situation.. Actually the more I have thought about it Dobb's might actually come in on some 1st. downs to try and get some positive yards or he may come in on long yardage where the dink and dunk wont work...

I also like the Ideal of bringing him in at the Wing with Ben this would open another set of plays that most Teams can't run..Well the Browns do it with Landry I am sure Dobbs is faster and can throw better than him..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is insanity to dress a player for just gimmick plays. Who are they not going to dress and does this 3rd stringer play special teams? Clev will eat him alive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not sure Why you think that Lamar ran for a 6.4 ypc the first game and a 13.4 the 2nd game..Dobbs had a 10 ypc against them and the Steelers had a 4.3 ypc against them one of our best averages of the season...The guy to not dress is Samuels and you will like it when you see us able to convert on short yardage...

6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I expect this is misdirection to make the Browns waste valuable and scarce time to prepare for Dobbs. That Dobbs package is pointless unless he can be a factor in the passing game as well, too easy to stop if it’s a run every time

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Spot on my thoughts exactly

8. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm on the fence with this... Our short yardage, as everyone knows, has been atrocious, so having Dobbs as an option makes sense. Does the opposition know it's going to be a run every time he's in the game, sure, but they generally know that anyway, in short yardage situations. Dobbs gives them more variety in what they can call... More for the D to consider. It's basically like running the wildcat, but with more of a throwing threat.

Who do we sit? I'm guessing it comes down to Elliot or Marsh. One of McFarland or Samuels will sit and we all know that will be McFarland.

In this scenario, you have to dress all 3 QB's, because we definitely don't want Dobbs as the only backup.

9. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    SDOT just unfriended you. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Dobbs accuracy is for sh!t. Always has been going back to his college career and he hasn't done anything to demonstrate anything different in the past 3 years. If he comes in, you know its a bootleg so stack the box. Make him beat you with his arm. He can't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    OMG, I cant wait to see Ben's face if Tomlin has the balls to pull ben and put in Dobbs ! Ben will be furious either way the play turns out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Guess you missed Ben’s press conference on Wednesday?

13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You make some valid points and I will take another stab at why Dobbs will play and why he should play..Our OL is ranked near last in run blocking.the Team is ranked last in short yardage, the Team is ranked near last in running yards per game and yards per carry ....We have 1 guy on the roster who can help with all of the above and his name is Dobbs... If Dobbs is the QB on short yardage the Defense must change their assignments what they have been doing is stacking the A gaps slanting the DL in from both sides and crashing both DE'S ..How in the world can the OL make a hole like that? The answer is they can't and we have every stat to back that up...

Now this is how Dobbs stops that ..It's really Football 101 you can't stack the A gaps because LB'S have force on the QB meaning 1 LB has the dive and the other has the QB power if he turns up into 4,6, or 3 or 5 hole depending on direction of course..This helps the OL big time with blocking angles and not dealing with LB'S in the 1 and 2 holes meaning the A gaps and helps the running back big time as he now has some room in the A gap and probably has a cut back lane allowing him to get North and South thus gaining yards ...

The last and final piece is the QB can keep on a speed option or straight QB power, or any of the sprint game or Boot and Waggle type stuff lots more sets and possible plays but this is enough to keep both DE'S at home as 1 concept attacks playside and the other attacks the baskside DE so neither DE can just crash and blow up running plays..Again helping the OL big time on any sort of trap or pull ...And of Course it hepls Conner because now he has running lanes and doesn't have to worry about getting smoked by a crashing DE while looking for the crease or the cut back lane..

So it's not that Dobbs will take over the game it's what Dobb's brings that can help the OL and the RB'S take over the game ..If we can convert on short yardage this is a good thing every Steeler fan would agree on that .. Some high level NFL Coach on the Steelers staff has finally realized something this Old dumb X HS coach been knowing,,,If you cant do something look at your bench see if you have a guy who might could help fix it...The running QB is a proven option to fix the run game and short yardage it's actually criminal it's took so long to use it...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin belongs in a dress

15. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd rather have the Duck with a helmet than Dobbs if we're crazy enough to dress 3 QB's.

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Is Dobbs going to play special teams?

I think it’s all talk.

17. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I don’t know we dressed Villanueva every week and he plays like a gimmick.

18. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    OK, you got me there but at at least AV was half way decent at one time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That one time was probably at Band Camp.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Dobbs inactive tonight. Lol