1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I still don’t trust Coach Randy...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 4, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I believe the Steelers will win this game against the Browns but I still just do not trust Randy Fichtner and his play calling to start games. This offense simply cannot afford a slow start where they go 3 and out in their first 3 or 4 possessions because of horrible play calling by Coach Randy. This offense is at its best when it’s doing the up tempo no huddle with Ben pretty much calling the plays at the line. Start the damn game doing that as opposed to the same crap that just is just not working the last 5-6 games.

There is just no excuse to lose this game next week now especially with Ben having now 2 full weeks off and being completely rested. Heads on this coaching staff should roll like a bowling ball if the Steelers lose this game next Sunday night to the Browns. There is zero excuses to do so.

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wouldn't it be nice if the first few scripted plays resulted in TD's?

How many first quarters have gone scoreless?

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I do not think Randy trusts himself at this point. Both Mason and Big Ben can attempt to cover for him all they want. That said, I can imagine the media pouncing on that opportunity the moment they do speak out against Randy.

All this said, sadly, I do not think Randy is not going anywhere as the team will likely resign him in the end. There is still insufficient information about Matt Canada although it was clear Matt's influence on the Offense has been immense; doubly so during the first half of the season. Even so, is Matt Canada ready for a full time role in Year Two with the uncertainty of the return of Training Camp and nevermind OTAs?! Not just that but who is going to be the Quarterbacks Coach?!

Matt Symmes again?! Hard pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    7 times:
    DAL (Week 9; WIN)
    JAX (Week 11; WIN)
    WAS (Week 13; LOSS)
    BUF (Week 14; LOSS)
    CIN (Week 15; LOSS)
    IND (Week 16; WIN)
    CLE (Week 17; LOSS)

Not a good trend heading into the playoffs.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would say a lot depends on Ben, if he stays, if he has a good relationship with Canada, I could see them moving on from Fichtner since his contract is up and that’s how they like to do these things, just don’t renew his contract.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Its ok Coach T has finally put his foot down he told RF and Ben you are going to do whats best for the Team..As such we will use Dobbs to keep drives alive and Ben can then drive us to score.. We are dead last in 3rd. and 4th. and short and our running game since mid year is probably dead last as well..So you cant score if you cant convert Teams know every short route we have and know every running play we call on short yardage so a mix things up has to be better ..

I just hope we run the Wildcat the Empty 3 by 2 RPO and a Power I with the PA Boot Game when Dobbs comes in ... Not a huge fan of those shovel passes I like the screen game in the 3 by 2 much better...I am all for being aggressive at the right time as well like in that no mans land around the 35 or so on 3rd and 1 or 2. .Run the Power I bring in a big DL as the lead run blast ISO not that slow delay crap a blast FB at 3 yards and TB at 4...If not get then go blast ISO Boot put Dobbs on the edge with a RPO on 4th. Coach him up if you know you got it with your legs then go get it if b;itz or force he still has the pass option..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

And in Week 12 vs Bal, they didn’t go scoreless because Haden had a pick 6 in Q1. So it’s hard to credit the offense for that. They did however miss the XP.

the offense hasnt scored a point in the first quarter since Nov 15.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If we need to pull our HOF QB out and put in a 3rd string QB that hasn't dressed for nearly all of 2020, or any other year on any other team, to make our offense work, we're screwed. Right, that'll work out great.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    HOF is body of work not what is going on right now.. Right now we are dead last in the NFL in short yarage not my opinion a fact..Right now we are at the very bottom as a running Team..This is a fact as well...About time a Coach did something to fix these problems ... If Dobbs can help us convert then it iis exactly the right thing to do so Ben gets more pass attempts and the D stays fresher so whether you agree or not it's up to Coach Tomlin and I fully expect him to do what it takes to give us the best chance to win and converting a few more short yardage plays does exactly that ..Ben and RF have had 15 games and piss poor results now it's Dobb's and Coach T'S turn..

10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    we are not going to see anything but Ben. They are not going to do any wildcat or play Dobbs at all. Bank it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Did kinda like the wrinkles...But there's no way Dobbs doesn't play all year, Then they do this in the playoffs...

It WOULD have been nice, and MAYBE helped open up our Offense a little if it had been implemented and used all year ala NO...But just can't see it happening now! Fitchner can't even run a " regular " Offense...Let alone add something like this!

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d be very shocked to see them try it in a playoff game but maybe that’s what last week was, a test run. I thought they should have used Dobbs on the 2pt conversion.

If Brees can come off the field for Taysom Hill then Ben shouldn’t ***** about it.

As long as Ben is rolling though, I don’t think they should try and get cute. If he’s struggling though, maybe shake things up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This was the week they let RF call the plays the designs looked very similar to the stuff Samuels ran what I expect now is for Coach T to give Dobbs some of the Ravens playbook Dobbs has had 2 weeks of practice as Lamar, can he break a 60 yarder like him ? Nope , but he can break a 15 yarder.. The point is no need to install the package we already have it and they can look and see the plays the Browns had the most trouble against the Rats ..

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I would like to see the one play where Ben is audibling and he walks out like he is talking to WRs and the ball gets snapped to a running back . I dont remmeber which game that was but I think it was even last year.

15. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dobbs entered the game several times after a completion, which disrupted Rudolph's rhythm. Dobbs isn't going to dress this Sunday.

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Oh the days of the simpler NFL. Do you remember when Chuck Noll was not only HC and OC, but special teams coach. I think the entire coaching staff was about 7 back then, and the most a team had was 12. Yes times have changed, but as I remember the players said Noll loved to get into the trenches and teach.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I posted earlier last week I would not be surprised to see them put Dobbs in some packages, and it worked a but. My one complaint is when they brought him in at times. I believe the one play he ran for a first down on 3rd and long to the 12, then they brought MR back in. Should have kept Dobbs in with Options and a heavy dose of Mac and Chase. Other times MR connected on great passes (I think one to the 25) and they brought Dobbs in, should have rode the momentum with MR.

I really think game day they should dress Dobbs and sit Samuels. Not disillusioned that Dobbs is the next coming, but he certainly offers more than Samuels.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Dobbs doesn't play Special Teams; Samuels does. The only way Dobbs dresses is if Ben or Rudolph get hurt in practice or catch the dreaded COVID-19.

19. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    You shouldn't, I think he's been unofficially demoted since halftime of the Colts' game, when the Steelers approach completely changed. His contract is up at year's end and he won't be renewed.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hate 2 argue , I don't really like 2, but L. Jackson has won how many playoff games, & now we want someone 2 emulate him??

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We use 2 run that alot when we had Kordell.

22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No argue he and Dobbs are just about the same as I actually think Dobbs is the better passer of the 2 ,,well Dobbs about 65% of LJ overall IMO ...Lamar ran a 4.35 which is blazing speed Taysom ran a 4.44,Rodgers ran a 4.71.. Dobbs ran a 4.64 or close to that...Jalen Hurtz ran a 4.59 and Joe Burrow ran a 4.59 so those are a few kind of like numbers here are some others ..Tom Brady 5.28 , Manning 4.8 in his prime, Rivers 5.08 , Ben 4,75 in his prime so he was a Athlete for the position in his prime as well..His young comparison Allen 4.76 .. So speed is not the be all end all it does directly effect the ability for a QB to scramble and or run..Kalil Davis DE set the record for 300 plus 40 time at 4.75 which is outstanding ..The point being a QB who is faster than all the DL can be a running threat ..If a QB can take off and not worry about getting run down then all he has to do is navigate players in front of him ... Dobbs has just enough speed to be such a guy ..Lamar he is not, but still can be a true threat to take off..DC'S have to respect it or pay the price.. So the point is Dobbs win no I think not Dobbs help us win I think so.. Situational Football short yardage and change of pace type stuff..We will need the Arm of Ben and or Mason to win I think Dobbs running ability and his ability to help others have room to run is a valuable tool thats all I saying..

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021