1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 Keys to winning Browns game...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Jan 4, 2021.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    1. Start fast much like they did in the 38-7 win. The Steelers got up on the Browns right away and never let them have a chance in this game. James Connor ran for 101 yards on 20 carries in this game with a TD and the Steelers ran for 128 yards total as a team. I am fully convinced if this happens again the end result of this game will be close to the same with the Steelers winning big.

2. Make Baker Mayfield one dimensional and have to beat you throwing the ball. If the Steelers jump on the Browns and get the lead in this game early it will make the Browns run game with both Chubb and Hunt irrelevant and force Baker Mayfield to win the game on his own single handily which I believe he has no chance to do and won’t be able to do against this Steelers defense.

3. Win 3rd down and the turnover battle. The Browns were 1 of 12 on 3rd down when these teams played in October in the Steelers 38-7 thumping and Mayfield threw 2 killer interceptions including the early pick 6 to Minkah which kind of set the tone in this game early and really never allowed the Browns to recover. If the Steelers can get off the field on 3rd down and get turnovers on Mayfield whether it’s a sack fumble or an interception the Browns have no chance in this game.

The bottom line in this game is for me it comes down to whether or not I trust Ben Roethlisberger who has never lost to the Browns at home in his 17 year career and has won 2 Super Bowls and played in 3, or do I trust Baker Mayfield who is appearing in his first ever playoff game and is still shaky in big moments and is still not there yet enough for me as a top of the line QB and a guy I fear and can trust to win a playoff game for me on his own. I think we all know the answer to that.

When all is said and done this is a game the Steelers should win and a game they better win. And if they don’t win by some chance and look bad doing so in the process heads should roll within this coaching staff and within the organization in general come Monday morning.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    It's our beloved Steelers and we will be sweating balls late in the 4th quarter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    They need to have the same game plan as yesterday... just add Watt and Heyward for more pressure and it's a wrap. They need to rely heavily on the deep balls because the Browns secondary is abysmal and keep running Conner. James SHOULD have broken two or three for 15 or 20 yards... he has his flaws but the Steelers have to dope he figures it out in the playoffs, as unlikely as that is.

5. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    THROW THE BALL DEEP!!!! Browns secondary is terrible!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017

I've said it for weeks but the Steelers offense is most successful when it utilizes Claypool, especially on deep routes, and opens up space for the short passes and running game. The guy is next-level good when he's on and properly used.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm surprised Highsmith wasn't rated higher. He looked good yesterday.

The Steelers have to be better against the run Sunday night. Getting Watt and Heyward out there should certainly help. Hopefully, they get Edmunds back as well. Williamson needs to play better. I thought he made some mistakes early, then played better and that helped the run defense as the game went on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    Agreed though it's hard to be too upset when 47 yards came on a busted play and the 28-yard scramble shouldn't have counted due to two clear holds. Either way, we should be in much better shape with Watt and Heyward, two of our best run stuffers, back.

9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Stop Chubb
    Make Mayfield beat you
    Force Turnovers
    Do something with it

10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Don't look past them to Buffalo. If players start talking about rematches with potential future opponents, I don't like our chances.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    It all depends on Ben.

12. Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt

Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2018
    There is one key to the game WIN

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure what you mean by a busted play. The Browns blocked it well and Chubb made two defenders miss on the 47-yard touchdown. Sutton did a terrible job at the line of scrimmage, not even slowing Chubb down, and Fitzpatrick's attempt at a tackle down the field was pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I wouldn't say all, but he's going to have to play well. The defense is going to give up some points. The Browns run it too well for that not to happen. That means Roethlisberger has to at least have a decent game.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Villanueva lol... Everytime I looked,He was was laying on his back!

16. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    As long as the Browns have the same OC as yesterday...And he DOESN'T change his game plan and wants to have Gayfield chuck it all day instead of running a Beast that is Chubb... We'll clobber them!

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The Browns are going to be amped since this is their first playoff experience in nearly 2 decades... a good start, winning the turnover battle, and being ready for some trick plays/new game plan that the Browns will throw at them. That should get us there. I would expect that if we play a solid game we win by double digits, but that's why we play the games. Lets just hope that the "second half vs. the Colts/ beginning of the year" offense shows up and not the "Ravens game plus 3 game losing streak" offense. If its the latter, then we are going to be in for a tight game.

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If they run the same play this Sunday, Chubb will be ceremoniously introduced to Mr. Watt

19. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Apparently getting pushed back 5 yards isn't a stat that's being recorded for OL

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Vernon out for Browns with torn Achilles. Big loss

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Defense need to keep Baker throwing in the middle of the field. I noticed something this last game. When he throws in the middle of the field his throws are not as accurate. I assume this could be cause of having to throw over linemen and not being the tallest QB but his accuracy is def not as good int he center of the field. Just ask the WR he almost got killed with the throw that was a good 2 to 3 feet higher than it should have been.

22. uncblue012

Aug 11, 2017
    That's an absolutely brutal loss for the Browns.

23. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Starting out fast is easier said than done. I was a little surprised that the Steelers began the first series with two runs, and maybe even more surprised that they gained six yards. Miles Garrett hasn't been the same since coming back from his injury and the loss of Olivier Vernon with a torn Achilles could lead to a more more productivity on the ground.

Baker Mayfield was successful scrambling yesterday. There is nothing more frustrating than good pass coverage leading to a QB running for a first down. Mayfield will not be afraid to run in a playoff game. I'm not saying QB scrambles will be a difference maker, but forcing the Browns to throw by building a lead doesn't necessarily make them one dimensional.

I also don't believe the Browns will abandon the run, even if they get behind by two scores. I think they think they can run on the Steelers, to include big plays like Nick Chubb's run yesterday.

My keys to the game are:

1. Successfully defend the middle.

Vince Williams and Avery Williamson are liabilities in coverage. Vince Williams only played 28 of 62 defensive snaps yesterday. Marcus Allen replaced him. If I am the Browns, I'm designing formations and plays that feature an inside receiver that has to be covered by a linebacker. Those type of matchups favor the Browns.

2. Blitz early and often.

Baker Mayfield doesn't perform particularly well under pressure. Disguise coverages and bring pressure from all angles, and utilize Mike Hilton. Forcing Mayfield to make quicker decisions while still in the pocket will limit his scrambling as well. Also, I can't believe the officials will keep flags in their pockets on every play that Watt gets put into a chokehold. If I'm the Browns, I counter this with screens and draws. Nick Chubb is the Browns best player.

3. Go no huddle almost exclusively.

This doesn't mean snapping the ball quickly every play, but no huddle will limit the Browns' ability to substitute players and affords Ben to survey the defensive formation and make adjustments accordingly. This includes challenging the Browns secondary. Cleveland ranks 22nd in Opponent Passing Yards per Game. If I am the Browns, I counter with a two down lineman and a nine linebackers/defensive back combination. The Steelers have pretty much abandoned the running game, and a lighter, quicker defensive alignment would be effective in coverage and may make up the difference in rushing the passer the loss of Olivier Vernon presents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    That has ALWAYS been his MO....And you're spot on, It's because he's vertically challenged...Teams TRY to do this to Drew Brees also... That's why you see a lot of outs, dump offs...and when they do throw long, it's usually to the outside.....

Teams TRY to run a D where they try to " funnel " things to the middle...Gayfields Kryptonite...

But that's easier said then done...First and foremost you have to stifle a potent running attack, and make them one dimensional...Which severely limits their play action...

Again, easier said then done but...If they accomplish this, the Browns are done... Gayfield is smoke and mirrors, not good...But they protect them by scheming...The best they can!

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Damn. That's a brutal injury, too.

I've had minor injuries with my Achilles and it sucks.