1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin states we may dress 3

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Jan 3, 2021.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Coach sounded like he was happy with what Dobbs was able to do today and I expect they will finally dress 3 and give Dobbs the change of pace or short yardage package..It should have been done week 1 well actually 2 seasons ago, but better late than never I guess..

He actually commented on Dobbs 850 rushing yards his last year at TN so I think he will finally make RF use Dobbs..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I watched the game but you know things are going on so maybe I didn't actually see what dobbs did with his snaps other than getting us a little closer for a fg attempt on one snap? And under his play call script lost quite a few yards with the handoff gimmicks?

• Like Like x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We have a playoff game coming up. Are you really suggesting pulling Ben off the field to run Josh Dobbs wildcat?

Hard pass on that for me. I hope they only dress two so that they are not even tempted to do such a thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Dobbs did very little except get a helicopter ride by the Clowns. No wonder he never gets a helmet. MR did well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

They used him on designed qb runs, which worked well at first, but since the plays were always runs, the browns started using a spy...… If they took the leash off and let him throw a few times on those plays, then it would be unstoppable instead of being so unpredictable

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Makes them prepare for it.

After getting criticism on here for announcing Ben and others out too early for some. You’d have to think this is a good move to keep them guessing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I couldn’t agree with you more. Not saying Dobbs is incapable, it’s just that he’s seen very little play time and he wasn’t all that impressive today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep on short yardage because we are ranked dead last Dobbs had a 10 YPC average we need a few more of those next week better than just handing it to Conner to run into the wall...The threat of Dobbs keeping it takes at least 1 Defender out of that wall if not 3 as the LB has Force on a QB keeper and the DE'S have contain so they can't chase the RB down on the crash...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    They did just like we thought they would; set up a pass option with a run first to the left. The pass was incomplete from what I remember.

My guess is they saw some thing on film that makes them feel good about trying it again.

10. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin had to separate Carlos Davis and Isaah Buggs on the sideline. Anybody see that, What was that all about?Hopefully it's nothing serious we need everyone in the right mind set!!

11. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    keep dobbs off the field as much as possible. his entrance will alert everyone as to what is coming. No thankz

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    We can't run the ball with a real running back! How is Dobbs supposed to do any better? Sure didn't today.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Actually we did run better we had 85 yards on 20 attempts for a 4.3 YPC... We just need more attempts..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Do U think on every play he was out in...they said..only hand it off or run?...or did he choose that himself....just asking??

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It shoudn't becau
    I didn't really see Dobbs making a read or holding the ball at the mesh point so I would say it was called from the sideline..

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Could be...but I know this...not always, but alot of times a Qb will take off when hes having trouble reading the field. I'll have 2 go back and watch all his plays

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn’t have a problem with them putting Dobbs in this game, I thought they should have had him run more but there is no way they use him with Ben playing.

Likely this is just slight of hand, make the Browns waste time preparing for QB runs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fair enough, let me know what you see..

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think we should have learned a lesson last year running the wildcat. Or is it smart to pull Ben for a qb who averages 1/2 yard per completion? That's what Dobbs gives you and playoffs isn't a time to do gimmicks and get cute with a player who usually doesn't dress for games. This isn't University of Pittsburgh.

20. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Those were strictly designed runs...... Dobbs never once looked downfield or even at a checkdown.... This was a total coaches call

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Even if Dobbs should come in during next weeks game, which I don't think he should, Tomlin isn't the kind of coach that is going to pull Ben in the middle of an important play. Ben also isn't the kind of guy who would take that well. It's not going to happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    With Boswell’s status on his leg uncertain I would strongly consider dressing 2 kickers instead. If Boswell gets hurt somehow during this game and you have no kicker you are going to have a serious problem.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...17-Josh-Dobbs-Paul-Zeise/stories/202101030170

Nice read ..Here is another concept I like as it is very strong for the screen game and it gets the QB 1 on 1 as well in RPO'S ...The big key is if your 5 Wide the Team cant get more than 6 Defenders in the box that means any run concept you want for the QB all runs put the QB on 1 defender if your QB is the better Athlete he will have a big game running...

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  24. WNYFAN

WNYFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2020
    Dress Dobbs if he can play in the secondary

• Like Like x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like it and I liked it yesterday, make teams prepare for possibly
    something different.

• Like Like x 1