1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Better kicker = Playoff team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mogadiba, Oct 13, 2012.

1. mogadiba

mogadiba Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay, don't flame me too bad for this thought, because it's half in jest anyway. But a thought just crossed my mind:

With our historical uncanny ability to "play to the level of our opponent" combined with our shaky (especially late in games) defense, it seems like there are several games every season that come down to either a last minute field goal to win/tie or a tough 4th down decision in that grey area from about the 30-35 yardline (FG attempt, punt, or go for it). Essentially, the game being on the line in one snap. I don't think I'm alone in feeling an uneasy in my stomach every time Suisham jogs onto the field. Stats be damned, that boy just does not inspire confidence. And distance is certainly not his forte.

Now, sometimes we win that snap and go on to win the game and sometimes we lose. So I'm not suggesting a Janikowski is gonna get us 4 more wins a year. But imagine we DO have a kicker that Tomlin knows can bang a 55 yarder 75% or more of the time. That moves the previously mentioned "grey area" back to about the 39 or 40, a much more friendly area for punters to pin them deep without kicking a touchback. This can change 4th down strategy dramatically by taking a lot of the risk out of it. If you NEED the points, you know you have a reasonable shot at the FG. If you're ahead or it's tied, punt the ball deep and make the opponent drive as much field as possible, giving your shaky D as much time as possible to make a play and end it.

I have done absolutely no research for this whatsoever besides searching my memory banks. But it seems reasonable to conclude that a stronger legged (while still acceptably accurate) kicker has the chance to swing 2+ games a season for this team. In a season like this, that could be the difference between finishing 8-8 and being irrelevant in last quarter of the season, or ending up 10-6 and in the wildcard hunt. I know 3-2 would feel a lot better than the 2-3 we currently stand.

I still wish we kept that Hrappman kid we had in camp. Seems to be working out fine for Justin Tucker and Greg Zeirlien.

2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think Suisham did anything hugely wrong in the game Thursday. The short FG was bang on target - the commentators even thought it had gone through at first. I think if you give him that chance again, maybe he makes it 50% of the time. And while that's not great, for the amount of cap room or draft picks I would spend on a kicker, from that kind of distance it's what I'd take.

3. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe last year but not this year. Other than 1 kick that EVERYONE knew was out of his range in the 1st place all of his makes this year have been right down the pike and center through the uprights. Not like previously where even his makes were barely through the uprights. Thanks but no thanks. He keeps kicking like he has been the Steelers would be crazy to get rid of him. If winning games comes down to making 54 yard field goals then we've got much bigger problems to fix than the kicker.

4. mogadiba

mogadiba Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    All too true, and while I contend that a better kicker might get us into the playoffs, by no means would he make us a Superbowl contender. You're right that there are bigger fish to fry, but Hrappman seemed to have the leg, didn't cost us a draft pick and would have made league minimum. Suisham is fine. He's made the kicks we has supposed to make, but he also missed the one he was supposed to miss. I just wish he wasn't supposed to miss it.

5. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    And also unproven. With Swishy they know what they have and so far this year he's performing great. A 54 yarder outdoors on the grass isn't an easy kick for any kicker regardless of how strong their leg is. Strength may help with distance but not accuracy. Look at Jeff Reed before he went mental on us. He was money in the bank on any field goal up to about 48 yards. Beyond that not so much but it didn't matter because you knew he'd kill any kick within his range and you could bank on those points. A guy like that is much more valuable than a guy who MIGHT make an occasional 55 yarder for you.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Unless a kicker is going to go out and help the defense make crucial stops when it needs to, then no, kicker won't help. Suisham isn't even remotely a problem this year. The only kicker that I never had an uneasy feeling before the kick was Gary Anderson.

7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Exactly right, he has been more than adequate.

8. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    this team is nowhere close to competing with the texans, Rats, Ne, etc. I say lets eat this season and get some higher draft picks. This team is only a few players away from being a real contender, picking near the bottom every season has finally caught up to Pitts. Getting a better kicker isn't going to help Ike, Mundy, or help Troy heal quicker. Age has caught up to us we need to draft better quality.

Pitts should let Ike play all 3 areas of the backfield by himself that should get us a top 5 pick

9. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!: Except for the part 'bout Ike playin' three areas, he can't handle 1! :popcorn:

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    **** that, you never quit, never give up, you fight your ass off all the way. You stay in the hunt and hope you squeeze into the playoffs because once you're in anything can happen. We have a ton of injuries, if we can manage to string some wins together and stay in the hunt until we heal up, our chances will improve alot. It's the teams that are most healthy and get hot at the end of the year that have the best chances.

11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You should pay attention to the league before stating, "this team is nowhere close to comepeting with the texans, rats, ne, ect."

here I will help you out:

Texans been in a couple close games. 31 to 25 vs Denver and 24 to 17 vs Jets a play here or there and the outcome of those game might be different. Will see how they perform vs the packers this Sunday.

NE is 3-2. Only one more win then the Steelers.

Ravens are 4-1 and were in tight games with the Browns, Chiefs, and Pats. A play here or there and.....

Not one team that's remaining on the Steeler's schedule is unbeatable. All it takes is for people to pay attention.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I just want to say I appreciate your never give up attitude in most all of your posts. A good number of people that post here have all but given up on the Steelers this season. I too get frustrated with some of the decisions made and the level of play at times, but this is my team and I will stick with them always. Fairweather and bandwagon fans are just that and when I see some of these just eat the season posts along with the hyper critical posts it just makes me feel better about my commitment to the fanbase of the Steelers. Every season is not going to be a great season, but more times then not the Steelers put a good product on the field. Season is only five games old, lets take it easy on the give up stuff.

13. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    lets say on average a record of 11-5 or 10-6 makes the playoffs. So Pitts would have to go 9-2 or 8-3 to have a chance. I don't see it, the only way things get changed around here is if the team stinks it out and all the weak links get exposed instead of hiding behind each other. The weak links are standing out big time, something needs to be done. - 8-8 record should open the door for the ones that need to go.

I just tell it like it is, those 3 qb's ( texans, Ne, Rats) would tear this team apart. Homers can be homers but in the end you'll see that this team is going nowhere. We have no pass rushing game, and our backfield can't cover, after saying that how can this team compete with the ones I mention. I'll cheer to the end like the rest of you but I'm not expecting much out of this bunch.

14. victimofchanges

victimofchanges Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Suisham has only missed one field goal this year and that was the 54 yarder thursday night. If this team has to count on consistent field goals of 55 yards or more then they have much bigger problems than the kicker himself.

Suisham is NOT the problem!

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So now that idiotic "homer" phrase is being attached to fans that don't give up on their team? :roll: And in case you haven't noticed, the Rats are no better then us, everyone is rolling up on their defense, they have escaped a few games by the skin of their teeth and you know damn well if we had done the same thing that you'd still be bashing us despite a winning record so stop acting like the Rats are a juggernaut. NE has no defense either.

16. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I absolutely can't put any fault on him missing a 54 yarder when it was spot on. Especially when he nailed a 52 yarder already.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You can use the old homer line if you want. You don't think I can see that the team is struggling in some area's on defense? These are the players we have this season. For better or worse I'll chear them on and won't give up on them. Or bash them constantly on this message board.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You should get your ass to vegas and make yourself a ton of money since you already know how everyone else is going to finish this year. Genius!

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

20. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You give me crap for using the Homer phase but that's how you guys are acting. You guys will be the first ones complaining how the D sucked again vs Cinci. Then there will be another 6 threads reading Ike has to go, mundy sucks, lewis sucks , trade him, drop him etc...

I'm just laying it all out now, don't expect much out of this team you're only setting yourselves up for a disappointing season.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    When have you ever heard me complain about the defense sucking? To have faith in a team that almost always puts a winning product on the field is not being a homer it's being realistic. Yes it is looking a little rough right now, but things can change or maybe we will have a terrible season. Either way I'm not bailing and condeming the season after five games like you. Of course I'll be dissapointed if we don't make the playoffs, who wouldn't be?

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    We're acting like homers because we don't want to give up on our team and believe that it is early enough to still make a run at this thing? The homer thing was invented by a negative dickwad who wanted to somehow make it a negative to root for and defend your own team/players. And of course I get upset after a loss and will call out the defense which has been performing badly but I don't let it snowball until the point I am spewing negative doom and gloom garbage. You could be right, we may not make the playoffs but you don't know it for a certainty.

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ike, Mundy, and lewis aren't worth defending, they're garbage and it's killing the little we have left on D. They're the only reason I'm dumping on the D, with the 3 stooges back there this team is doomed. I love our offense, it's the D that's making me cry cus I'm a defense type of person, I need my defense fix every week and I'm not getting it with this squad. :cry:

24. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My friends you are sadly mistaken if you think a better kicker
    is what the Steelers need. They need defensive help and OL help.
    We get these things we may have a chance at the playoff caliber teams.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Kicker is the least of Steelers worries he missed a 54 yd fg that's not automatic.