1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Alabama RB Najee Harris

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Dec 19, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

I would love for the Steelers to draft him, but he probably wouldn't be there in the second round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    He may not even be there where we end up picking in the 1st. I’ve liked him for a while. The only thing I need to go back and watch is to see how he does in pass protection. He’s definitely a strong dual threat runner and receiver. In many ways he reminds of Lev Bell in his prime.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He would be an excellent pick to usher in the end of the Ben R. era,
    and give our young Qb's a viable option to use. Of course we will have to go heavy
    with OL and center also. I want only mean ornery OL no panzies, just people that want to rip your head off.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I know this goes against popular opinion but I have no problem drafting a RB late in the first IF he is THAT special. The opinion that RB's can be found anywhere is really misleading, you do not just find a Derrick Henry anywhere (not saying Najee is Henry). If Ben is to play another year or 2 the O is going to need much more from the O line and a quality RB. With limited resources a lot of that has to come from the first 4 rounds of this draft. If Ben hangs it up then the same scenario is in play with less resources. If a top C or T is available then you have to consider that, but if there is a run on them and your BPA and top man is a RB then really no problem taking him,even in the 1st.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Henry was a second round pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    You are correct, looking back who would you prefer, Artie Burns, or waste that pick on a RB named Derrick Henry. Hind sight certainly can suck lol

(Note: I know Bell was coming off a great year so RB was not a need, but under circumstances still shows taking Henry in the 1st would have been justified IMO)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  7. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    A ton of fans had RB very high on their "want" list last year. I wasn't one of them. But this year (2021) I think will be different. Conner is a FA and if he goes elsewhere that will leave a big hole in terms of talent at the position irregardless of your thoughts on his endurance. I don't see Jaylen Samuels as much of a threat and Snell needs to define his role. I could see RB playing a higher priority in 2021 than past years drafts.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Derrick Henry was a far more freakish talent that lasted into the top of the Second Round after it was reported that he was going late 1st in 2016. I believe that Najee Harris will be available by that point due in part to the high volume of Quarterbacks, Wide Receivers, Offensive Tackles and Interior Offensive Lineman that will likely be taken into Round 1; many of these positions are Top 20 anyway. Running Backs still do not have the same value they once did during the height of their power in the 80s all the way into the mid 90s. The game has changed way too much for the position to become the focal point like it used to be Sam's some extreme exceptions a la Christian McCaffrey.

Either way, I agree with @steelersrule6 about Najee Harris. Nevermind being built like a Steeler. He plays like one the same. Would not mind having him if Jalen Mayfield or even Alex Leatherwood is not available by then. The Running Game needs a long overdue overhaul to begin with. Starting with the Running Back position is a good way to do so.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The Ohio St kid, Trey Sermon just put himself on the map

• Like Like x 1
  10. SteelersBane

SteelersBane Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Najee Harris is bigger than Le'Veon Bell. I say he is more like Derrick Henry. Both are big, both are muscular, both can break away for touchdowns when there is no one in the defensive backfield in front of them.

As for when Najee gets drafted, he is likely to go early in the 2nd round. If we wanted to get him we will need to use our 1st round pick on him and running back is not as much a priority in the draft for us as other positions.

11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I don't have a problem taking a RB late first round if he's special. Our backfield is a bag of "meh" right now.

12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    meh is right. no one back there scares anyone. we have not seriously addressed this position since LevBell was drafted. neglected OLINE too for a while, time for some renovation.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have come to conclusion, that if Najee is there for us, we have got to take him.
    We need to return to our identity. This return would also include drafting OL to give our
    young qb's or any qb's? a chance at success.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    If they're looking to make another run with Ben, they're going to want a guy that's good in blitz pick-up.

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Also to give the young RB a chance. Harris does nothing without an OL.

16. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I am not opposed to taking a RB, but I think we can get one in round 2 who will have an impact. The priority has to be to fix our offensive line. AV and Feiler are probably gone. I think we need to get a LT who can start Day 1. As much as I like Chuks, I'm not sold that he can be anything more than a RT. Dotson and Decastro are fine at G. We will need depth there as nothing we have around right now is impressive. Pouncey is about done. Banner we can't be sure will be back, but I could see Hawkins coming back for some depth.

I think we should go OL in round 1 and then another before the end of round 4. Maybe a Center?

17. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm gonna agree with @Wardismvp . I think an OT will still have some appeal for me, but with an aging Ben, I think we need a dynamic RB to forge our identity around.

There will be options in Najee Harris, Travis Etienne and Trey Sermon.

Harris just looks like a workhorse out there. Give him the ball and me makes things happen. He's a big man at 6'2 230, not much difference from Derrick Henry, and he has shown recently he has some great athleticism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Yes Please! Love this kid. I used to buy into the UFA argument for RBs but this kid is special. It could be like an older Elway and T Davis combo. Let me dream.

Where are they predicting he goes? I know its early.

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Only way Najee Harris is the guy at pick 24 is if Zach Banner is resigned and Chuks is moved to Left Tackle. Even accounting for that though is still the lack of a Center. I still would like Creed Humphrey in the worst way possible.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Heard this is a pretty deep draft for lineman, is that true? Anyone you think worth taking that will be there in the 2nd?

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Landon Dickerson, Trey Hill (University of Georgia) and Josh Myers (Ohio State University) are the only ones off the top of my head should Zach stay. If not, Offensive Tackle then in Round One.

22. jimmyallen45

jimmyallen45 Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Even without Ben, I like this pick. Usually I would always advocate to build up the line first, with the feeling that makes any potential RB candidate better. However, I feel this team is going to need a big offensive star to speed along the rebuilding process, and so I'd take the RB, then 2 OL in the next 2 rounds. Sometimes a great runner can make an ordinary line look good, and adding a big chain moving RB to eat up the clock makes a huge difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I so agree. This kid has produced consistently, between the tackles, speed to run outside and adds a dynamic dimension to the passing game. His line at Alabama was tops for sure and usually I would not advocate taking a RB in the first with so many needs, but because of those needs and because of his talent definitely worth taking at 24.

24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Don't the Steelers usually take a young kid, a junior or under player with the first pick? This RB is 23, it doesn't seem to add up to me that HE is the pick. Maybe we take a RB, but I'm not sure its him.

25. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I like Harris but not in the 1st.

The guy I want though is Javonte Williams. Guy is a load. Runs LOW. Really nice stiff arm. Pretty good quickness as well.

5-10/220 lbs

I think he could last till our 2nd pick. Could.