1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Steeler Fan Questions...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Chinchilla, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Just trying to have some fun here...Going to watch Bowl Games which are all but dying with kids opting out..Gotta have a playoff system.

When and How did you become a Steeler Fan?

For me it was 1977. I was 7 years old and just liked the colors and the big block letters..my dad could take or leave sports in general but the addiction set in and never been able to shake it.

I remember the lean years with Bubby and Malone and the year Cowher went 6-10.

Not going to BS but I was in pain watching that year and even shut off the TV.

I am 50 and remember saving up money to get one of those 10' dishes on my house that the bars had to watch the steeler games.

All Time favorite player?

Lloyd. Had a similar upbringing and I really was able to relate to how he was brought up regardless of me being white as Wonderbread. lol

Most Hated Steeler?

Never like Kemo. He used to try to blow up peoples knees. Thats like Vontaze mentality. JMHO
    He rolled up on TSizzle and as much as I hated the Ravens I loved those defensive rivalries.

Most Satisfying Win?

Tough one..so many but 1979 SB against the Rams
    Runner up was defeating the Colts where the Bus fumbled.

Toughest Defeat?

Losing to the Cowboys in 95 SB
    I literally threw up I got so wound up. lol

The San Diego Loss the year before was a tough one in the AFC Champ game.

Thanks in advance for posting...

• Like Like x 2
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    1) this is well documented but, thanks to the Chargers and their penchant for getting rid of good players I had to find another team in '72. I liked the Steelers colors and, more importantly, the defense!
    2)Toss up. Joe Greene and Rocky!
    3) Easy! "He who's name shall not be mentioned". You know, he "played" QB in SB XXX.
    4) SB X
    5) Losing to the Chokers in the AFCCG!

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    You liked Lloyd but you hated Kemo Von Olhauffen?

4. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I know...I know..I remember the MNF game where Lloyd tried to bury Marino to make him feel a little extra pain...but you got read his life story.

Its like since day one he had to fight the world.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was born into it, and it was before the Steelers were winning anything.

The rest of my answers usually vary from day to day, memory to memory.

• Like Like x 3
  6. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Been a Steelers fan for as long as I can remember. Born and raised in the Burgh but had to leave like many others for job opportunities. Steelers fans don't travel well as announcers like to point out nearly every away game. We already live there.

All Time Favorite player - Hines Ward.

Most Hated Steeler(s) - Mark Malone, Neil O'D******, AB, Lev Bell.

Most Satisfying Win. Superbowl XIV against the Rams. Such a fun game to watch as a young kid.

Toughest Defeat, Superbowl XXX. Threw all of my Bengals friends out of my apartment!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I got a Raiders helmet for Christmas in 70, we constantly got the Raiders on NBC (before merger) and I was smitten with the Mad Bomber, Marv Hubbard, Fred Belitnekoff, Blanda, balh blah. During the 72 season I was awakened to the Steelers by a guy named Franco..still my favorite Steeler ever..and my fandom has never wavered.

Most hated Steeler? I cannot say I hated him, but during some of the most depressing seasons I still cannot figure out why Harvey Clayton was on the team, let alone in the NFL.

Win: Was in Germany for SB's 13 and 14. We sat in the mess hall late at night/early morning as our Unit commander declared Monday a holiday and set up TV's so we could watch the game. Food provided and sneak your own booze in...great memories.

Defeat: SB 30 for sure, but that loss to the Raiders in the 76 playoffs stung. They (Raiders) were due, but hard to take after our D displayed a year for the ages.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    On becoming a Steelers fan: I became a Steelers fan because I played defensive tackle in Pee Wee football. I started collecting football cards and I liked the name Mean Joe Greene. We lived near St. Louis, and the then football Cardinals, were 4-9-1. My brother said, "I am tired of the Cardinals losing. I like Isaiah Robertson of the Rams, so I am becoming a Rams fan." I said, "I like Mean Joe Greene, so I will become a Steelers fan." (I did not realize the Steelers were losers, too, at the time).

All-time Favorite player: Franco Harris. His rookie season was amazing averaging 5.6 yards per carry. Then to top it off with the Immaculate Reception, that was incredible to watch as a ten-year-old. I always say Joe Greene made me a Steelers fan. Franco made me a Steelers fan for life.

Most hated Steeler: I am going to have to say Mendenhall. I followed his college career and was excited when the Steelers drafted him. Then he had the fumble in SB XLV and later made comments that degraded the Steelers. He did not have the passion to be a Steelers player.

Most Satisfying win: SB XLIII. The Harrison 100 yard INT is the second greatest play in Steelers history. The Big Ben throw and Holmes catch may be the third greatest play in Steelers history.

Toughest Defeat: I would say the eight AFCCG losses, especially to New England, and both Super Bowl losses are a tie, followed by the New Orleans game a couple of years ago.

I am adding a category.

Favorite off the field moment: The 1974 draft and then finding this website.

• Like Like x 1
  9. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011

I was pretty much born into it, my older brothers liked the Steelers, my Mom was an avid watcher, Dad never really cared about professional sports, and he was an ultimate kiss of death when ever he watched with us. I remember being really you and the Bills had awesome teams, but when I was 8 in 1993 the Steelers played KC and lost to Montana, and the next year was the bad chargers loss which lead to the following year against the Colts then loss to Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX, my fandom was off and going strong by age 10 and it never stopped. It was my goal of becoming a Season ticket holder, which I finally did a few years ago.

Boy so many. But, if I can pick only one Troy Polamalu. Plus he has the same 1st name as me (Troy) As to why I like him, good human, good person, and just go watch highlight tapes.

Favorite Steeler to not play in my lifetime: Joe Greene

Most Hated Steeler?

Andre Hastings. Told he was too busy and didn't have time for autograph when I was 10 at Steelers training camp. That was OK I got Bill Cowher instead that day. He is going into the HOF. All the kids wanted players, but I was like Holy Cow this is Bill Cowher, very nice guy, he was ultra nice to kids, but he had 3 daughters close to my age, so that was probably why he was so nice.
    But, I don't hold that against him, maybe he had a bad practice, I was 10 what did I know?

From a non-personal standpoint :
    Mike Mitchell
    He annoyed me when he was make a 10-15 yard tackle for a 1st down and celebrate. Used to drive me up a wall.

Most Satisfying Win?

2002 AFC Wild Card Round. Tommy Maddox came back and beat the Browns.
    I was 16 and was watching with with two buddies who were Browns fans. They were getting on my crap good, Browns went out to a big lead, and they were laughing at me putting down the Steelers left and right, and bit by bit Steelers climbed back in it and won it, Chris Fuamatu-Maʻafala (Fu) ran it in for a TD, and their Jaws hit the floor, I stayed quiet the whole time, then Dennis Northcutt couldn't get out of bounds in time and clock ran out and the Steelers won and I let them have it.
    Never in a million years did I think I would be 35 years old and the Browns would just now be on the cusp of the playoffs, and 2002 would be their last appearance. But depends what happens this weekend maybe the Browns playoff drought continues. But for being bad my friends still talk crap on the Steelers.

Toughest Defeat?

Losing to the Cowboys in 95 SB
    I still can't forgive #14, Steelers could of had that Superbowl

• Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    When: As soon as the sperm met the egg as my parent made love under a smog filled sky in Pittsburgh.

Favorite player: impossible to pick one. So so many greats!!!!

Most hated: AB among others. He is just the latest.

Most satisfying: again impossible but loved when Maddox led a great comeback against the Browns in 2002 and my family all held hands the whole 4th quarter. It was really cool!

Toughest loss: Sadly there are many. The AFCCG we lost to the Chargers damn near killed me. I was young and bragging that we were 100% going to the SB. I ate a ton of **** after that game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Enjoyable post! If you are talking college football in your opening remarks I think they do have a playoff system in place. 4 top teams have a shot at #1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I've always found it interesting how many Steeler fans I have met, and there have been tons, never have been to Pittsburgh. Met a lot who were born in cities with an NFL team but somehow became Steeler fans. As stated by another poster Steeler fans are all over the country because a ton of us moved out in the 60's and 70's, started families and raised our children as Steeler fans. My son has never been to Pittsburgh but he represents our boys in LA. (the State)

Now I have been halfway around the world and I have only met 1 Pirate fan who was never in the Pittsburgh area. The great one, Roberto Clemente made him a Pirate fan.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

I discovered American Football here in England in 1986. Wanting to learn more, I watched Superstars of the Super Bowl. As soon as the Steelers came on, I was like: that’s my team.

So I started supporting when we had Malone et al. I’m like the opposite of a bandwagon fan lol.

Derek Moye.

More seriously, a tie between Thigpen and Louis Lipps.

Most Hated Steeler?

Chris Kemoeatu. Sean Mahan a close second.

Most Satisfying Win?

The 05 Colts playoff win. After the Polamalu interception was reversed, and because it was against the unbeatable Colts, it just felt all the better.

Toughest Defeat?

Watching from the 80s has probably meant I’m better with taking defeat... while the ones settled by dodgy calls are often tough, I think the 04 AFCCG against the Pats hurt the most. Ben’s first season had been so great, and it all fell apart in that game to a team of cheats. Properly stung. [/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 2
  14. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Sadly, it was on this very day 48 years ago that Roberto Clemente perished.

Roberto Enrique Clemente Walker was a Puerto Rican professional baseball right fielder who played 18 seasons in Major League Baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates. He was inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1973, becoming both the first Latin American and Caribbean player to be enshrined. Wikipedia
    Born: August 18, 1934, Carolina, Puerto Rico
    Died: December 31, 1972, Parque Isla Verde, Carolina, Puerto Rico

• Like Like x 4
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    [/QUOTE]

If you were 10 years later 1996 you may have ended up being a 49er fan:) Instead of the 70's Super Bowls you watched it might have been the 80's.

16. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ha - no, I hated the 49ers and the Patriots at the time. I have no idea why. I couldn’t stand Montana.

Then later I was looking back and thought: actually, Montana was amazing and the early 49ers SB teams were tough as.

Still hated the Patriots though.

I need to find the clip from the video where the Steelers were introduced, it was amazing.

17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    And for the past 48 years I have worn my Clemente jersey on this day. I golfed in it today and the young punks kept asking if I was confused since it's football season.

• Like Like x 2
  18. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think he means Kemoeatu, O lineman, not Kimo, D lineman?

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

Practically born and bred a Steelers fan. Although I was raised a Pirates fan first. It wasn't until I was 12 or 13 when I became Steelers centric. As a toddler I remember my grandfather's Iron City collection of all the 70s Steelers.

Gotta say Rod Woodson. Just watching him return kicks effortlessly and being a true shutdown corner was fun to see.

Most Hated Steeler?

Gotta say Martavus Bryant. Dude had all the physical tools to be a great player but lacked the brain. I personally don't care if someone wants to burn some green but at least know how to beat a UA.

Most Satisfying Win?

1st SB win of my lifetime against the Seahawks. During the first half of the game I was listening to the game on the radio while standing topside rover watch during my Navy days. Game was at like 1am in Germany. Thankfully I didn't get caught

Toughest Defeat?

Couple of those 90s AFC Title games hurt. The one against the Chargers...damn... I take the losses as an adult much more in gest. Not that they don't ruin a few hours up to a day. But the ones as a team had me feeling some kinda way for about a week. And I cannot forget about that 96 SB.

Great thread.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jimboinaz

Jimboinaz Active Member

Dec 24, 2020
    I became a Steeler fan when I was 7 yrs old and they were playing in Pitt Stadium. My parents had season tickets from the days at Forbes Field and continued until they moved into the new stadium. I got to go to all of the bad weather games that my mom didn't want to go to. I was at Pitt Stadium in 1967 when Jim Bakken set the NFL record for FG's in a game with 7 and also at Pitt Stadium when Chuck Noll got his first win against Detroit.

All time favorite player is a tough one but I'm going to have to go with Jack Lambert. I just loved the way he played the game and how an undersized middle linebacker could be so intimidating.

I have a tie with my 2 most hated Steelers. Rashard Mendenhall for costing the Steelers another SB when he fumbled in the 4th quarter against GB and Neil O'Donnell for throwing 2 terrible interceptions in the SB against Dallas. My father insisted until the day that he died that O'Donnell was bought off. I couldn't argue with him because both of his interceptions went right to Larry Brown of the Cowboys with no Steelers in sight.

Most satisfying win was SB XIII in Miami against the Cowboys because it was the first SB that I attended and I had to listen to all of the Cowboy fans all week about how stupid Bradshaw was. That was when Hollywood Henderson said that TB couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the C&A.

Toughest loss was SB XXX at Sun Devil Stadium. It was the other SB that I attended and the Steelers were making a great comeback after falling behind early and had the ball with about 4 minutes to go and O'Donnell threw the ball straight to Larry Brown to end the Steelers comeback. Brown had two interceptions in that game and was named the MVP. He went on to sign a huge contract with Oakland off of his SB play but fizzled with Oakland.

• Like Like x 2
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I tell people I went to the prom with my dad and went home with my mom.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018

I have been a fan since birth, but the first season I vividly remember following was the 1984 season. I was 8 at the time and that was a fun season.

Hines Ward

Most Hated Steeler?

Kris Brown

Most Satisfying Win?

Super Bowl XL

Toughest Defeat?

2001 AFC Championship

• Like Like x 2
  23. Hearts / Steelers

Hearts / Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2018
    My "personal details" give some answers.
    Made a decision to try getting into the NFL in '73 and still remember the first game I watched on telly. Was a MNF game between us and Washington which must have been at Three Rivers as the Steelers were in their black and gold.
    Anyway, being completely ignorant of the game itself I I decided there and then they would be my team. It was either loving the black and gold colours or may have been to do with my home town being Edinburgh and the name Pittsburgh, I honestly don't recall but knowing "sfa" about the game itself, I figure one of these options is how it all began.

• Like Like x 6
  24. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lol. Had to think about that for a second. But might be the single malt...

25. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    1) My older brother loved and talked about the steelers 24/7 so at a very early age i was taught to love and root for them

2) favorite player is a toss up between Louis Lipps and Rod Woodson

3) never a fan of Mark Malone

4) Superbowl XL the first championship i was able to watch live. After so many many years of watching i finally got to Smile and actually cry alittle

5) the san diego afc championship game. i was so sure they were going to win and when that final pass got knocked down it felt like i didnt catch that pass

• Like Like x 1