1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sam Darnold the next Steelers QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Your biggest fear should be if the Reindeer lights it up Sunday and beats the Clowns big.

2. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Steel Hog,

Giving me a very optimistic rating on my question about the Ravens picking up Cam Newton is dripping with sarcasm. Sarcasm, about sarcasm, I like it.

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The next two years we have to lock up TJ and Minkah, no way you can do that with the current situation with Ben. Minimum you would have to pay Darnold would be around 35 million for the 2 years, then make a decision to sign him to a big contract, tag him for big bucks for an extra year to see if he is the real deal. This does not include the draft capitol you give up for him. If Ben retires or they just do a Hines/Troy on him (both doubtful), then you may decide to do a reset, cut a lot of aging players, eat a lot of dead cap cash and rebuild for a 2 to 3 year window. I do not think anyone really can even fathom a guess at this point...and beyond what players they try/can keep is what will Colbert decide to do. It does not get mentioned much, but for the last few years he has been going year to year here, a new GM is a distinct possibility and with that comes a person who will want to put there own footprint on the team.

• Like Like x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Sam Darnold reminds me of another Sam.

Sam Bradford.

He can't stay healthy. Often hurt. I think he can be a decent QB with weapons around him, but he's not durable.

Great QB's stay durable.

It's so often over looked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hard pass on Stafford. Career loser and stat-padder.

6. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Well he played in Detroit, so being a career loser is a right of passage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yoy that would have to be negotiated.

8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
  9. Andy Russell

Andy Russell Active Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I’d rather see Marcus Mariota in black and gold. He’s making too much as a backup in Vegas and can probably be acquired for a late round pick. He’s only 27 and has way better career stats than Darnold.

With the Steelers current offensive line we need someone with Mariota’s mobility. It would be a shame to waste the best years of our great young receivers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't Mariota's accuracy sporadic like it would be better to throw receivers at the ball than the other way around.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This board would give me hours of entertainment if that happens.

12. Jimboinaz

Jimboinaz Active Member

Dec 24, 2020
    I agree with you, I watched him in HS and this kid thinks he's entitled and was a huge headache for the administration at Pinnacle HS. He's got talent but don't think he has the discipline or make up to make an impact on an NFL team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As stated above the best part is saying bye to the OC.. He blames Teams knowing our plays on the lack of crowd noise he laughed at Claypool after he stated the D knew it was a run.. We are at the very bottom of the NFL on 3rd. and 1 he should be smacked with a twisted tea...Anyway if Mason looks the way I expect him to we may sign Haskins Sunday Night....

14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That is my hope. I think Bettis restructured his contract to help the Steelers and his chances to get a ring. Memory may fail me here but I think it was the year his fumble at the goal line almost cost us a trip to the SB. That would have been ironic.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Bus took a pay cut two years in a row to help the team get under the cap and capture its fifth ring. That's the ultimate team player. I don't see Ben doing the same.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I don't know if Darnold, Rudolph, Marrioto or a Bradford is the answer for 21 and 22 and beyond. Im just not sure that Ben is the answer either. These past 3.5 weeks been telling and even during the 11 game win streak there were games where Ben was strong for just one half. Titans game they came out on fire and fell asleep in the 2nd half, the first Ravens game was much like this week's game against the Colts. Started completely flat and found the groove in the 2nd half. I personally want to keep as many pieces on this defense around for the long-term. Keeping Minkah, TJ and Bush as the core is a must and I'm not sure that'll be possible keeping Ben and that cap hit. Ben may just be better in 21 for all I know. I'm just not sure that's a risk that Id want to take. 20 just feels like the final year of completely being all in. There's so many FAs up after this season that the team will likely take some step backwards. DeCastro and Villeneuva are likely done. Pouncey feels about done as well. It's been a fun run and it's not completely over yet. Ben and Pouncey may come back, but what other parts will they be able to retain or get via fa to booster this lineup for a last hoorah. Salary Cap is going to be a big problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    People 4 get that Tannehill ( not sure how u spell it) had 2 other coaches be4 Gase. 1 was brought out of the college he played 4... just so they could jump start his career...didn't work. Matter of fact his best year was under Gase...until he went 2 Tennessee. Not a Gase fan at all, but everyone acts like he was Tannehills reason 4 sucking. I Believe its people who like Darnold so much. Not sure. Give them an excuse why he is not Very good. No one wants 2 remembers he was a turnover machine in college ...and has stayed a turnover machine in the Pros....Darnold that is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Man... I haven’t seen that movie in decades. Big Jim Slade!

20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:this!:

21. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Steelers need to make major decisions to remain competitive going forward. If Ben comes back, they will lose little talent they have and Ben is pretty much done anyway. Steelers best hope is that Mason reverts to his pre injury talent. It’s interesting that both Rudolph and Ben were plagued by the same short passing philosophy that teams have figured out how to defend. Perhaps the problem is Fichtner as this article states.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/stillcurtain.com/2020/12/31/steelers-fire-randy-fichtner-possible/amp/

22. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Its funny you mentioned that because I heard about him years ago as like a prodigy but because of the headcase baggage that i was reading about I completely blocked him out and forgot he ended up as a Sooner until the Bowl Game.

They had to cut off the camera from him like he thought it was WWE. lol But that arm....he through a ball almost 50 yards with perfect trajectory like Kurt Warner used to.

Hope he doesn't turn into Ryan Leaf or Manziel or Perrilioux (LSU) but he will put people in the seats with that type of cockiness.

Big Ben matured so you never know if or when these guys get it.

23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Seems Manziel-ish to me.

24. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    I thought Tannehill was a bust so I have to eat words. Saw him get blitzed early in the game like Carson Palmer and he folds and throws prematurely even if the heat is really not there later in the game. Helps if you have King Henry though in play action.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Jimboinaz

Jimboinaz Active Member

Dec 24, 2020
    I agree, he has all of the talent and it will be interesting to see how he reacts to adversity.