1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudolph to start Week 17 against Browns

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    defense is going to have to come up huge for us to have even a glimmer of hope

3. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

Would be really cool if they used dobbs in a unique way that the saints use hill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    I just now thought about this. Man this really is a make or break for Mason. This game may truly end him by killing his confidence (if he has any left). The browns will be gunning for him. Better hope the officials are up to the task.

5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly before he got shelled...The plus to this is he had a good OL..We do not...The next addition is he had a respectful running game..We do not..He had a OC that knew how to call running plays.. We do not..After the fact the OC knowed how to call runs he knew a simple thing called Play Action.. His forward thinking was how about run plays that are actually passes, how about pass plays that are actually runs..Our OC grades about a 60 on just that scale..

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Sit Fitchner along with Ben, no chance at sabatoge. Give Canada to the Reindeer.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    w Dobbs under center in short yardage falling forward he gets at least 2-4 yards, if he gets two to three clean strides and falling forward ur looking at at least 5- 8 yrds

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Rudolph will need all the reps in practice. The moment he took the first practice snap that Ben didn’t, this would have been breaking news and therefore a distraction.

Now it’s a distraction for Cleveland who will have to deal with the Rudolph/Garrett questions and story.

Now was the perfect time to announce this move.

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Link?

Or is this just something you made up?

10. bobby

bobby Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2015
    nothing would satisfy more than seeing mason come out have a good game and be able to quiet the name of Dobbs being a better QB. As a franchise the Steelers need mason to be the next unless we want the steelers to have a 1-15 year to be in position to draft the next starter once Ben hangs it up. i agree after the hit in the baltimore game he hasnt been the same. he has the arm strength just needs confidence.

11. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I still have scars from last year. Hold me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Exactly the way I am seeing it. This is it for Mason in my opinion. Time to see what he can do.

I seriously doubt Art Rooney II wants to play "Quest For The Next One" like Dan Rooney did from Terry Bradshaw to Big Ben; much less the fan base. Way too many aspects are at stake already; this defense being chief among them. That said, I still believe in Mason even after.... whatever that showing was in Dallas. As I stated multiple times last season, Randy does not trust Mason... at all.

I understand I will sound like a broken record in saying this but Mason panning out will yield immense dividends for the teams future moving forward; both in draft capital and salary.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It's going to be the same thing any other time Ben was out, accept this time there's no running game to rely on.
    Poor Rudolph being put into a bad situation because the O coord probably won't use his strengths. Same as all the other QBs that came in for Ben.

14. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I think the story about the browns trying to make the playoffs for the first time since 02 will be all the ppl in ****land sorry I mean Cleveland care about and are focused on

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Yet he is better than Dobbs as our #2 QB. Dobbs must really suck then.

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Already seen both play. This your 1st year watching this team?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Donner or Blitzen!!!:rolleyes:

18. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I will be shocked if this game is close. When you rest players at the end of a season before the playoffs, you are telling everyone you are not giving it all and losing is acceptable.

However, I agree with the decision because this game is meaningless.

We keep thinking about what our offense might do in this game, but also think about what it means for the defense. No way we produce the same pressure or coverage resting players. The Brownies would have to collapse on offense or commit several turnovers and Rudolph would have to play his best for us to win. An unlikely combo IMO.

19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    A million

20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The guy that decided he was better cant build a running game he cant call effective game plans.. With a week to prepare our Offense always starts like we have never played before..To many times this year that Defenses are calling out the plays ...To many times this season the QB had to start playing street ball to get the O going...This is why I say Lazy choice is Mason the OC sucks and has done nothing to fix problems ...A few major problems are run blocking, effective run formations, short yardage and pass protection .. Football 101 is if you have a mobile QB and Dobbs is then he can help with all of those..He helps with run blocking because he gives the D another runner to worry about..He helps the run Formations for the same reason as he can keep it and take it to the edge so now the DE'S cant just crash every play..Short yardage same as first 2 he can keep this keeps the DE'S at home thus more room to run inside..Pass protection is where the mobile QB really helps as DE'S have to stay home someone on the D has to spy meaning 1 less rusher..You can call plays that get the QB away from the rush ..Sprint outs, Bootlegs the Waggle game..
    So with Dobbs you can call completly different Offenses that would directly address major problems yet our OC says lets do nothing and start our other QB who runs a 10 second 40 and keep calling all the same plays that dont work...

21. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Dobbs has had plenty of chances. He was Tomlin’s blue boy, but couldn’t move the team. He has been terrible except for one pass out of the end zone. Duck and Mason were clearly better than him in Pre season. He couldn’t beat the back up QB at Jacksonville. He’s lucky to be on the roster .

He’s not accurate, doesn’t have great arm strength, has mediocre running ability. He’s poor man’s Kordell Stewart.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I see some nice throws in this , I see some great work getting out of trouble in the pocket, I see some designed runs that look very effective .. Is he a great QB no I dont think so is he a better option becasuse of the OL play I say yes without a doubt..Mason and Duck look better as pure pocket passers behind a good running game and with good pass blocking we have neither of those now thats the point I am making..

• Like Like x 1
  23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Same thought entered my mind. Only problem "big stick nick" is a tad bit better then Mason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

It all works together...... We're obviously going to lose a handful of free agents and we also need depth.... Rudolph isn't the only one about to see significant time.... While we need to see Rudolph perform, we also need to see what we truly have to work with coming off the bench.... Will Rudolph turn a corner..... Will other people be able to step up and replace some of the players that we will obviously lose...... As I said, what we see from our bench will definitely set up our strategy come draft day

• Like Like x 2
  25. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    no smart a$$ it’s not. Every years team is different.

• Agree Agree x 1