1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB in First?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steel4Blood, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Lawrence and Fields will be 1 and 2. But i honestly think after the combine and pro days that one of the next four guys will go in the first and fall to us.
    Between Mac Jones, Trey Lance, Wilson, and Kyle Trask i think one of them will be falling to us.
    Which one would you want the most, and is there any that you dont want at all.
    I just dont see Mason as the future, i could be wrong but i dont see it.
    Who knows if the organization will take a QB in the first though as they probably still think Mason is the guy. I dont so lets see who everyone likes.

2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I think if you take one you have to really HIT. Which probably means having been so bad you landed at least in the top 15 picks so.. no not this draft and they will likely roll with Mason and go 8-8 every year making drafting his replacement awkward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    none of the above. We need to address the O line and quality RB. You get that fixed then look for your future QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised if all 5: Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson & Trask all go in the 1st round before we even pick.

I just don't think 2021 is the year we go 1st round pick QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think first round strategy comes down to what happens in the playoffs. I truly believe that. Ben and Pouncey and what they do in the offseason will play a role. Ben stated a reason as to why he wanted to come back. If he accomplishes that, he may walk out. We all know what that is, but if we can't run the ball it won't happen.

6. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    QBs seem to be hit or miss to me. Assuming they pick in the back half of the draft, you have to go with a less flashy pick, like OL or DL

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s going to be tough finding a top QB at pick #32

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I just don't think a QB will be top priority come draft time. I think Ben comes back no matter what and gives the team another year to sort everything else out first. Ben plays off the media snubs but in actuality I bet it motivates him. Heck we were 11-0 and still not getting a lot of due nationally. I think he's on a mission to prove a lot of things to himself and everyone else. SB victory or not this year, he comes back imo. We will be slotted late in the first round, a great time to get either an interior OL, ILB or OT. 3 areas that need upgrading and depth.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was liking 6'5 , 240.. Trask until the 2nd half when he was beginning to get hit and fumbling the ball. That's the last thing we need with the o-line fading.

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Unless Trey Lance somehow free falls, do not count on it. Heck, even if he did, I doubt Pittsburgh is willing to ship two 1s to nab him. Too many other needs on the roster right now.

11. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    the top 6 qbs will all be gone by pick 25...…….. the only realistic choice we have is Jamie Newman..... problem is that we have more pressing needs for the first rd., and Newman will be gone no later than mid 2nd rd

12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There are some good young QB's in the NFL, traditionally (just by guessing) say 50 % of 1st round picks are busts, or at least fail to live up to expectations. I just do not want them to grab a QB just because he has 1st round grade and the need is there. If a guy is there that they really like, then yes pull the trigger and see what happens, but with the needs on OL I think you have a safer bet to find a stud lineman that can be with you for a decade. Not sexy, and given the state of the team you may find yourself in the 15-20 sooner than later. You hope not, but we have seen this in the past. If you end up picking in that area (or even slightly higher) your chances of moving up and grabbing a franchise QB improve greatly. I just think there are to many needs to expend draft picks on a QB in 2021.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm starting to see Justin Fields falling in the draft and maybe not being the 2nd QB off the board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Zach Wilson could be the 2nd QB off the board, he has a really good arm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This was the Steelers' choice in 2004 an O-lineman, or a potential franchise QB. Cowher wanted the lineman and fortunately Dan Rooney talked him out of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I personally would rather see the Steelers get a stopgap in Darnold or Marrioto for about 2 seasons to allow the oline to be rebuilt and getting a stud RB then get that QB. And if Darnold or Marrioto or hell Mason pans out as starter, even better. If Traskt or Wilson and Najee Harris are both on the board when the Steelers pick, I'd much rather see Harris drafted.

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I am on board with them grabbing a QB if one is the BPA at the time they pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Carson Strong is a name to know about as the weeks roll on. University of Nevada QB who has the arm to make any and every throw on the field. Physical gifts and intangibles are off the charts.

The issue for him is his lack of mobility and the competition he has faced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Same.

The gifts are there. The mental aspect of the game is not. Dak Prescott all over again.

Hard pass.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Too lazy to look but wasn’t Dak having a historic season before his injury?

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

He was.

That said, his stats are over inflated due to him being down so many points. Keep in mind that the team Jerry initially constructed back in 2016 was to pound the ball. Sadly, 2016 Zeke is not coming back; Dak's maturation being sped up greatly. That said, he definitley had some impressive stats....

...... but at what cost to his team before his injury?!

22. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018

So...because his team was horrid in other areas and he put up good numbers to try and get them back in the game he isn't a good QB??

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Nope.

Does not matter how well the stats are in the game. Did Dak Prescott lead them to victory against Seattle?! What about the Browns?! Heck, the Falcons game is the biggest outlier of any team of the 2020 season.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’d take him here in a second but he’ll cost too much.

Sorry AQL! :lolol:

25. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Sorry dude, I just don't buy the argument that Dak isn't a good QB based off those games as their defense was absolutely putrid those games.