1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ok, should they rest everyone?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I think they could seriously benefit from rest.

Then again, they just got the offense working again after a dismal month. I'd hate to lose any momentum by having everyone sit.

I'm not sure if they can lose the 2nd seed or not. I think they can. If that's the case, they probably won't rest anybody. But, I still think the rest would do more for them.

Lets be honest, I don't see home field advantage meaning all the much in a completely empty stadium.

2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I seriously think they should rest Ben this week so he can heal up. We need the win only for seeding, but we are in the playoffs. Unfortunately, I think any team we play in the first round has been having a resurgence the last few games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The only person I would consider resting is Ben, and anyone with a lingering injury that could benefit from the week off . You can't rest everyone, and you can't afford to lose anyone. It's a slippery slope for Tomlin to walk. Either you build momentum and play everyone, or you rest some guys and run the risk of a guy you didn't rest getting injured anyway. It could backfire either way. Personally I would play the game like it was any other week.

4. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'd give Ben a quarter, maybe two, and then rest him. There's no reason to push him but I do think he needs to keep the rust off. It's paramount that the Steelers have second half Ben moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You can't take out everyone of course.

I'd rest Ben, Ebron, Juju, maybe Johnson, maybe Pouncey or Decastro (maybe they suit up but play back ups)

Defense Haden, Heyward, maybe let Watt have a chance at the sack record then get him out.

I think Spillane can come back this week, so maybe he can get some reps and let Williams out early.

6. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Rest everyone. Some (not all) of the problems lately are fatigue/injury related. Without fans, and with us being a cold weather team, there's not much difference between home and road games for the playoffs. There aren't any obvious matchup concerns either; on any given Sunday...

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I’d like these guys in some kind of a bubble. A Covid outbreak right now it would be devastating

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think this sounds like the best idea. I think after the last 3 weeks, momentum outweighs rest, but if we can play the starters a few quarters, then rest them, that would be a decent middle ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Anyone playing injured that can legitimately injury themselves anymore needs to sit, though.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Dont know about everybody, but definitely:

Ben, AV, Pouncey, DD, Heyward, Tuitt, Haden.

I would add Watt, however, he's gonna wanna be in there to cement DPOY.

11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I see I get the game so I hope they do rest Ben at least. I know we are in the Playoffs so a loss wouldn't be so terrible and I would like to see how Mason performs.

12. Franco

Franco Active Member

Sep 19, 2019
  13. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    disagree, ben always sucks after getting rest. remember the jacksonville playoff debacle?

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is a decision as to what we could gain vs what we can lose. Ben on the ground holding a knee isn't worth playing in a somewhat meaningless game. The Clowns will play like its a super bowl just to get into the playoffs so I doubt they'll be holding anything back. Getting to Ben will be priority #1 for them so is it worth it? For the past several weeks speculation on Ben being injured and so on and so forth was posted and now we have an opportunity to get healthy for Ben and some others. So many were wanting to get #1 seeding so we could get a bye and now people are saying don't rest Ben when we have an opportunity to do so. What were we planning to do with Ben during a bye week, scrimmage somebody? No, we'd welcome the rest just like we should now.

15. nofieldfive

nofieldfive Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2015
    going back to the Cowboys and Ravens wins - the Steelers offense has had about one decent half of football in 6 games - I'd at least go until half time making sure what you did in second half of Colts game is really who you are.

16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    So you were not in favor of getting the #1 seed then, right?

17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I'd like to see Dobbs play because he could be an antidote to our ailing running game

18. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    If the Bills win tonight, they will reclaim the #2 seed.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I would rest:

Connor
    Ben
    Pouncy
    DeCastro
    Haden
    Heyward
    Tuitt
    Minkah

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I just hope they don't go halfway. I don't like the idea of playing guys just for a quarter, then sitting them down. The goal of sitting guys shouldn't just be to avoid injuries. It should be to get them the rest they would normally get on a bye week. That won't happen if you play them even part of the game, because they would then have a normal week of practice, too.

Either sit as many as possible, sit only Roethlisberger and guys with injuries, or play everyone. I think it should be the first option.

If they choose to go that route, that would mean playing without Roethlisberger, Johnson, Pouncey, DeCastro, Conner, Villanueva, Watt, Heyward, Tuitt, and Haden. I put Johnson in there because he was limping around with some kind of issue Sunday. The tough call to me would be Vince Williams. He may need some reps because he is still getting back up to speed after missing two weeks, but I also wonder if he is fully recovered from COVID. I don't think he was anywhere near 100 percent Sunday. Players on other teams who had it have talked about the effects lasting a while even after they returned. Myles Garrett is an example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:lolol:

I imagine that Watt will want to go out there to cement his case as the best pass rusher from his draft class. Keep in mind Myles Garrett is likely salivating at the opportunity to state his case as well. Besides, if anything, we might as well see a bit of a preview for the 2021 starting Offensive Lineman.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    I think they should treat it like a bye week for the veterans. Our bye was early this year due to the Titans' irresponsible Covid behavior so I think our stars could benefit from a break from both the physical and mental toll of practice and game play. Sure there's a risk of having rust when coming back but I think it's the better risk to take.

24. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    rest everyone worth a damn. this shouldn't even be up for debate given how our season went with the bye week and all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    First and foremost you rest Ben. Can you imagine him getting plowed into the turf by Garrett? In a meaningless contest? And losing him? Let Mason get the reps.

Heyward, Tuitt and Haden for sure. Vince can play some. Having Spillane get some reps is paramount. So thin at ILB its scary.

As mentioned Watt should sit but he will want to put a lock on DPOY. Play him for a quarter or so.

DJ was hobbling a bit so he should sit.

AV, Pouncey, DeCastro as mentioned.

I don't care if they lose to the clowns and come out with no major injuries even to the back ups.