1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

T.J. Watt for Defensive Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Dec 28, 2020.

1. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It's clear that T.J. has been dominant in 2020 - as he was in 2019, as well - but the actual numbers are really impressive: 15 sacks, 26 tackles for loss, seven passes defended, two forced fumbles, and an interception. He has to be the frontrunner for Defensive Player of the Year.

I'm not sure if he'll play next week given a self-made bye week would be a welcome sight but he's just unreal. This doesn't even account for the little things he does.

I know the Steelers are in cap hell but they HAVE to find a way to lock him up longterm ASAP.

#HEREWEGO

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I hope he wins I put a $10 bet on him start of the year on Fan Duel.

Pays me $140 if he wins it.

• Like Like x 4
  3. rpgczar

rpgczar Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Him or donald. I'll give it to watt

4. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Donald has been good but I actually don't think he's in the mix.

I think it's Watt vs Xavien Howard and I definitely expect Watt to get it.

Seeing Howards' name reminds me we drafted Artie Burns over him. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    He is the best and durable. We HAVE TO pay him. We are lucky to have him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think Watt will get it, he has been consistently excellent for two seasons and they surely can’t ignore it this year. Howard and Donald are both excellent but TJ has been more impactful this season imo.

The steelers will lock him up for a long time in the off season, we are very lucky to have him.

7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The voting will be close. Donald, Howard and our boy.

8. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    It’s crazy because all three are good choices but Watt seems like the front runner. If he sits or plays limited snaps next week and either of the other two dominate, that may be the biggest chance for T.J. to lose.

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

PLEASE. DONT. START!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Either way, he's gonna make some serious bank. I'd imagine he'll get something similar to Garrett. About $25 million a year for 5 years.

11. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Right now, I'd be happy with 25M. I fear it could be higher.

12. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Watt has had another great year, my concern is some people just think our system is created to make OLB's look good. I hear it all the time the Steelers line takes on the blocks and the LB's get the stats.
    How many more sacks could he have had if he wasn't getting held most of the time, yesterday I must of counted 4 or 5 times the right tackle had his arm around Watt's neck.

Donald is great also and making plays from the interior might sway a few more votes his way.

Either way it will or should be very close. I would vote for Watt if I had a vote, he does so many little things like yesterday when he tackled the ball enough to make the RB slow down to secure it allowing help to arrive. He has great technique , a great motor and unbelievable football instincts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Why wouldn't Donald be in the mix? He is having a great year on one of the league's best defenses. I think Watt is more deserving, but not by much.

The interceptions for Howard are tough to ignore, but I'm not sure he makes as much consistent impact on games as Watt.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Xaiven Howard's lack of sustainability of generating turnovers should not equate to him having a lesser case for Defensive Player of the Year. The fact that some fans believe that a Cornerback needs to register 10+ INTs to even be considered in the running is baffling to be honest. A Cornerback's primary function is to shut down their opposing Receiver. It used to be about shutting down that side of the field but the days of Rod Woodson and Deion Sanders nullifying entire sections of the field by their lonesome has come and gone. Safeties are about the closest thing any of us will ever see to being a "Shutdown Defensive Back" in the modern era as said position.... really does not have a position anymore anyway. That said, the real reason Xaiven Howard might come up short is not because of his supposed lack of consistent impact.

Obtaining Defensive Player of the Year as a Defensive Back; Cornerback no less, is very seldom seen and accomplished. Outside of Stephon Gilmore, Troy Polamalu, Charles Woodson and Ed Reed are the only other ones to have accomplished this feat since 1999. Of the four, three are in Canton and I seriously doubt Stephon Gilmore gets in as his resume does not match any of the aforementioned three. That award is usually reserved for players along the Front Seven as said players obtain far greater opportunity than their Defensive Back counterparts. It has nothing to do with consistency as a great player will continue to be consistent no matter what year it is. Since 2017, Xaiven Howard leads all Defensive Backs in INTs. That said, he is a great player by all accounts.

In short?! Xaiven Howard has a shot of getting DPOY but T.J. Watt's dominance against his opposition due to the multiple opportunities he receives will likely supplant him into the top spot this time around. The major reason why Stephon Gilmore won it last year was passing to his side meant certain disaster or no positive gain at all. Xaiven Howard, while great, has allowed 4 TDs against him this year compared to Stephon Gilmore who allowed zero. That is the difference here.

15. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    DPOY hands down.

Watt: 15 Sacks / 41 QB hits / 43 solo tackles /23 tackles for loss

Donald: 13.5 Sacks / 26 QB hits / 24 solo tackles / 12 tackles for loss

• Like Like x 3
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My thing is last 2 times we had D players of the year...we went 2 the SB.
    So if that means we are a shoe in if he wins. By all means YES.:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    When I say not in the mix, I mean not a top 2 option. Donald plays on a good defense but the Dolphins and Steelers defenses are even better.

Donald is having a good year but his TFLs are down.

Watt's year last year was arguable even better than this year and you could make a case Howard is having an even better year than Gilmore did last year when he won.

In the end, I think many thought Watt could have won last year and the buzz certainly has him winning this year.

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He was mobbed. One play he was actually tackled with the official watching. We are not talking ticky rack push offs here. I do not watch many other games, so do not know if this is consistent through out the league, but his numners would soar if they started calling those holds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Offensive holding calls are significantly down across the league, by up to 50% by all accounts, I heard that on an nfl podcast a few weeks ago.

They seem to just call it randomly now, this of course is an invitation for teams to hold more than ever.

20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not sure on Watt winning last year to be honest.

As I said already, the fact that Stephon Gilmore did not allow a touchdown all season last year is immense. Very seldom can a Cornerback do that against the opposing number one receiver week in and out.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Watt has more sacks with 15, than the entire Titans team with 14 :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    It should be Watt for sure. This kid is a stud.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I keep seeing your avatar and think “wtf I don’t remember posting that” lol

• Like Like x 1
  24. Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt

Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I don’t see anyone close to Watt for the award personally.

25. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Lol Ill change it !

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1