1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Playoff Position

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    At the moment, the Steelers hold the No. 2 seed only because the Bills haven't played their Week 16 game yet. If Buffalo beats New England Monday night, which seems extremely likely, Pittsburgh drops to No. 3.

The Chiefs have already clinched the bye, so going into the final week of the season, the playoff matchups would be as follows:

No. 7 Cleveland at No. 2 Buffalo
    No. 6 Baltimore at No. 3 Pittsburgh
    No. 5 Miami at No. 4. Tennessee

The last thing the Steelers want in the first round is another game against the Ravens. It just isn't a good matchup for Pittsburgh on either side of the ball, and Baltimore seems likely to win its final game of the season against Cincinnati. It would fit in with the Steelers' luck this season to get the third seed, but end up with the far tougher matchup than the No. 4.

I agree that the Steelers should probably sit as many starters as possible as a way to take back the bye the league stole from them by rescheduling the game against the Titans, but the real question is what the Bills will do. Does Buffalo play its starters to ensure it holds on to the No. 2 seed? If that happens and Miami loses, that and a Baltimore win bumps the Ravens up to the No. 5 seed, leaving the Steelers to play the Browns or Dolphins.

The Browns aren't an easy matchup, either, but who would you rather face, Cleveland or Baltimore?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I just want another go at the Bills. There's a certain dislike for that team I can't quite explain...and I'm not a fan of Josh Allen.

I don't expect those seedings to change that you're projecting, but I'm not too concerned about Baltimore...I still think the Steelers have Lamar's number (even with a depleted lb core) and there's nothing about his game that's changed enough to make me think different. He's a problem for everybody else...except the Chiefs.

This is all assuming the dink and dunk offense isn't the only thing Baltimore has to prepare for of course. I think mid to late second half of yesterday's game is a really good sign. Gives me hope at least and makes me less concerned about Baltimore or Cleveland.

Will the real Steelers please stand up though (and I hope it's the team we saw in the first 8 games or so and who we saw the second half against the Colts)?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
  3. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    take the 3rd seed and rest up players bc the team deserves it after this weird year with covid. who knows, rudolf and company could put on a show against the browns.

4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Miami has a chance to put themselves in the playoffs, Bills might want them in, Bills might be more interested in resting their divisional champs.

Bring on the Ravens i say, they suck.

5. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I think the rest means more than seeding at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I tend to agree with @Formerscribe I do not want to see the Ravens rolling in to town for the first game of the playoffs. That’s a 50/50 at best and I just have a feeling the Ravens will not allow a third defeat to a division rival in a single season. If that’s the matchup so be it, but I’d much rather play Miami or Cleveland

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I want that number 2 seed still and an extra home game if possible especially if the Steelers see the Bills in the divisional round. Don’t know if fans will be allowed in for the playoffs but there is still something about playing at home I think that makes Ben and this offense and defense more comfortable. I know you gotta get by the first wildcard game but if the Steelers do assuming they get the Bills in the divisional round I want to see them at Heinz Field this time around as opposed to having to go back up to that **** hole in Buffalo where you don’t know what kind of weather you are gonna get.

I expect the Ravens to probably be the 5 seed if they win against Cincinnati which they probably will but if the Dolphins win in Buffalo that drops the Ravens to the 6 line which makes winning that game in Cleveland for the Steelers even more important to get the 2 seed so you can avoid the Ravens that 1st game. The only way Baltimore can be the 6 seed assuming they win in Cincinnati is if Miami wins in Buffalo. So we shall see how it all shakes out but I would say now the Steelers 1st round opponent most likely is gonna be the Dolphins, Browns or Colts. There will be some scoreboard watching in this game I would imagine but for the time being I am playing the starters for now and trying to win the game in Cleveland and get that number 2 seed and keep the Browns out of the playoffs.

9. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I think it's far more important to rest starters next week vs Cleveland than worry about whether they will play the Ravens or Browns the following week. Both are divisional rivals and both will be tough games, although I do believe the Ravens are the better of the two. Getting that #2 would be awesome, but rest is SO important right now, and basically not having a bye this year is hurting this team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But I sooo do want to give the Browns an E

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Personally, I could give a rats arse what the Raven's will "allow".

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You know what I meant. The Ravens would be fired up like no other team coming to Heinz for a WC game. Let the chips fall where they may, but Baltimore is a much tougher matchup for the Steelers than Miami, Indy or Cleveland.

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Matters not who we play first. Any one of the 6 teams could beat the other in the Playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michael Ford

Michael Ford New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Be careful what you wish for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The Steelers have done very well vs. Lamar Jackson in two meetings, and Playoff Lamar is like Playoff Kordell. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't dread that matchup. At least we know the Steelers wouldn't look past them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If ravens were smart they would run all game

17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's the playoffs there won't be an ideal match up. NFL would love the Steelers and Ravens. But, we should want it.

Last two times Steelers went to the Super Bowl they had to beat the Ravens in the playoffs along the way to get there.

• Like Like x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm curious about the Browns match-up. They need to go all out to secure a playoff spot while there is talk of resting Ben. If that is the case you are putting Myles Garret in the direct path of Mason Rudolph with a shiny playoff game on the other side. So does the revenge factor come into play? Will he risk a suspension to get an illegal hit on Mason? Will he play tentative due to the situation?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Looks like Ravens after this MNF.

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There was never much of a chance the Patriots were going to beat the Bills. The question is next week. Do the Bills play their guys to ensure they hold on to the No. 2 seed? If so, that could definitely knock the Dolphins down a peg and leave the Ravens as the No. 5 seed.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Knock out the Stains...Then knock out the Ravens.
    :biggrin: