1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No starting tackles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I get that you want the excuse if your Colts lose to a Steelers team that is in freefall, but Boswell is far from the only injury the Steelers are dealing with. They are missing starters at outside linebacker, inside linebacker, right tackle, and left guard. They are also missing the replacement for the starter at inside linebacker, their top current reserve at outside linebacker, the inside linebacker who had to fill in as a starter the last two weeks, and the guy who backed him up last week.

The injuries are helping the Colts a hell of a lot more than they are hurting them in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Bigger advantage may be Rivers and his turf toe. Make him uncomfortable and he will implode.

3. rpgczar

rpgczar Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Who normally starts at right tackle and guard for the Steelers? Colts picked up will Holden from the ravens not sure how good he is. Pinter looked great a guard, but not sure how he'll fair at tackle. Will be interesting to see how Ben looks today.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers have been without their right tackle, Zach Banner, since the opener. Matt Feiler is the starter at left guard. He is also on IR.

The injuries on defense are probably a bigger deal. Dupree was among the top 10 in the league in sacks when he tore his ACL. Aside from Watt, the only starter they have at linebacker is Vince Williams, who is just returning after getting COVID. No way he is going to be 100 percent, but they have absolutely nothing behind him. The Steelers have four inside linebackers on IR and another, converted safety Marcus Allen, is out this week. Even if they start off well on defense, they are almost guaranteed to wear down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I see Highsmith a milisecond away from getting sacks. He has a fast first step and is always around the play. Oh, and a rookie. Took Dupree in his 5th year to make an impact.

Does Highsmith make mistakes? Of course. But so does Dupree. Some act like Dupree is some godly player. He's not. But we do have one.

Highsmith in the off season will get stronger and have starting game experience and will be a force. And won't take 5 years to show it...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    I have liked this matchup a lot this week with the Steelers defense versus Phillip Rivers and I like it even more now. One thing about Rivers is he is no threat to scramble or run the ball so if you can get consistent pressure in his face even though he tends to get rid of the ball quick he will still take a sack a bunch of times or there is a good chance he will turn the ball over. If Ben and the offense can score some points today and I don’t mean a ton maybe something like 21-24 points the Steelers should win this game.

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I never said he would sign cheaply. Both last three year contracts were pretty close. Avery 22 mil. Vince 21.1 mil. Williamson has far more tackles every season. Many less missed tackles, many more passes defended, more interceptions, more forced fumbles. Vince hasn't had 100 tackles in a season in his life or a forced fumble as a pro. avery is by far the better LB. That run by finney was on Allen all the way.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m worried about our offense vs their defense... rivers shouldn’t have to do much

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Dupree was making an impact last season also.

10. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think this is a reasonable expectation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    More importantly, their coaching staff vs ours. Game plan vs game plan. Who would you put your money on? Ben's plan? RF? MT? 4 weeks of nothing much changing that I could see but hoping the impossible happens today.

PS GO J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Glad somebody else is watching this kid, he has some moves , he's beginning to drop down low like Harrison used too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    This should be attack mode from the start of the game. No excuse why this should not be a 4-5 sack effort. Offense needs to produce points and keep defense off the field so they are fresh in the 2nd half.

14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Highsmith will save the steelers money, bye Bud

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Avery Williamson 14 tackles, 1 sack, 2 TFL. Vince Williams 5 tackles. Several more missed tackles. Scribe, it isn't even close of production per salary. Williamson at 104 tackles this season, 44 here already, Vince 68 so far. Another season well under 100. I'd love to see what he could do in a full season here. :cool:

• Like Like x 1