1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

No starting tackles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Dec 26, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Indy will be without both starting offensive tackles Sunday. This may help. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It may help our Defense.

But Steelers O has to seal the deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We have seen this scenario before thinking the Steelers defense would dominate a depleted OL, then they only get 1-2 sacks :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    First off I agree. We should dominate these guys with pressure tomorrow.
    But dang there’s a double standard around here. When a couple of our players go down we expect the back up to play lights out. They don’t get a pass is they give up a bunch of plays.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Tackles? We don’t need no stinkin tackles.

- B. Traven

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Backups can play well. When a team gets down to 3rd and 4th players on the depth chart then that can become an issue.

I think it's a mistake to go into a game believing the Steelers will dominate other professionals. If it happens fine. If it doesn't happen it doesn't surprise me.

We just watched the Steelers lose a game where some fans believed they would dominate. Some people never learn.

7. rpgczar

rpgczar Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Colts fan here this definitely tips the game in your favor. Offense won't have to score if defense does

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Unless the Steelers offence improves dramatically on their most recent performances it won’t matter who the Colts are missing.

I heard today that Ben had a 25 PFF grade vs the Bengals, the lowest that they have graded any professional player ever. That will give you an idea of the level they have been operating at, showing up for one series or one quarter if we are lucky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A couple times this season as I recall. First Balt game there O line was decimated and they ran forever?

• Like Like x 1
  10. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers defense is not the problem. Even with the lack of Bush and Dupree.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That really is a wow moment. It could be a multitude of things, but ultimately Ben's game has shown massive decline. The players are usually the last to acknowledge this, and it happens quickly. Hines, Troy, beloved Steelers were quietly told retire or be cut. I do not know if Colbert or Rooney will have the same mind set with Ben, but they really need an honest evaluation on the state of this team.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it really doesn't. The Steelers have been devastated by injuries at linebacker. They literally have no viable depth there at all now, and I can't imagine Vince Williams will be up to his usual level of durability as he is recovering from COVID.

The Steelers are also going to be without kicker Chris Boswell.

Even if you take the knee and/or elbow issues that seem to be ruining Roethlisberger's season out of the equation, the injuries still slant this one heavily in favor of the Colts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Earlier in the year it as the D line decimated, playing w/o Bush and Hilton, were still able to win, but it showed. The last few games they have not only been w/o Bush and Dupree, but Williams and Spillaine as well, leaving a rookie, a converted S, and a guy they just traded for (mid level talent) calling the D plays. The middle decimated, also a D who has been averaging 60 plus plays a game, I do not care what team you have, you put any D in that position this late in the season you are asking for trouble.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The next man up (or in this case men up) have actually done pretty well this year, but when that 'man up' is the 4th and 5th guy from PS and they are of the field an entire quarter, well that's where we are at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Where was the run defense against the Bengals? They only passed for like 80 yards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Again, even the likes of the Steel Curtain and the 85 Bears probably would succumb to fatigue at some point; doubly so if the Offense is consistently giving the opposition the ball back. 65 or more snaps on the defensive side of the ball will spell major problems for the duration of that contest. That has been the issue during this three game skid.

Until the Offense can generate some consistency, expect more of the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The pass rush has been nonexistent the last few games, I started a thread before the Bills game saying if they didn't pressure Allen he would pick them apart.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

It has been non existent as the Defense is unable to get any sort or form of recovery time for them to go 100% as much as we saw them earlier in the season. Alex Highsmith is another reason however he is not the main reason either. Fatigue is setting in faster and faster and there is sadly nothing the Defense can do to avoid such shortcomings as the Offense is too inconsistent to do anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Mid level talent? He's better then anything we have or had even when Bush was playing. They would be smart in finding a way to keep Williamson around. Should be darn glad we picked this guy up. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Gasping for air, trying to get some Gatorade before they went back on the field.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    My point was that when it’s the other teams next man up we’re supposed to destroy them, but when it’s our next man up fans think there should be no drop off in play.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I am glad they picked him up, and yes hope they can keep him. Mid level was not necessarily a slant on his talent, he is a starting level ILB in the NFL, a player who can give you quality play, but he is not a difference maker.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think that can be debated. On this defense when at full strength or close raises individuals play. He will be better in a better defense in other words. Does that make sense? He will be better here then with the jets or was with tenn. (and he was pretty good for them as well). Much better than vince, for less money too. I'd love to have him with Bush next year and Spillane and Surratt from NC as a draft pick next year. We would be set pretty well at that point. At least for that position. My dream scenario.:smiley1::cool:

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Williamson was solid against the Bills, but he sucked against the Bengals. He was often out of position, taking himself out of plays by making poor reads. Finley's touchdown run was an example. I'm not sure he really is better than Williams, who is better at the point of attack and on the blitz. Williamson is better in pursuit. Neither guy can cover.

I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that Williamson is going to sign so cheaply. Williams would be a $3 million dead money cap hit if the Steelers cut him loose. They can save his $4 million salary if they move on. Williamson is finishing a three-year, $22 million contract, more than Williams's total contract. People keep assuming Williamson will be cheaper, but that simply does not fit with the available information.

25. rpgczar

rpgczar Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Tj watt versus colts back up tackles is a serious mismatch. The missing the kicker only matters if it's close.