1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't we be happy watching Ben play the last 3 games of his career?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    This is the question I asked myself last night?

Last weeks game I wanted them to bench Ben for Mason. I wanted Ben to sit out the rest of the regular season and get ready for the playoffs. But, what if Ben isn't going to get any better, if this is it for him.

Barring some type of Christmas Miracle; The Steelers have 3 more games to play this season shouldn't I be happy to watch this Hall of Famer go out playing on the field and not sitting on the IR at home, or standing on the sideline looking like homeless person?

I have 3 games left to watch my childhood Hero play, and then father time will take him away from us forever. I am going to sit back and watch these last 3 games, and remember all the great times Big Ben has brightened my day's in the past.

Go Big Ben!

• Like Like x 1
  2. H-Bomb

H-Bomb Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2012
    I'm with you, lots of good memories watching him play. Go BB!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Arizona/Pittsburgh Super Bowl my favorite all time Big Ben final “clutch” drive. Best memory ever for me.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Knowing the competitor Ben is I don't think he'll be happy to end his career on a 4 game losing streak

5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You gotta wonder.
    How do his kids and wife feel about this?
    Feel bad for them.
    Hope he can pull off a miracle and win the Super Bowl!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jimboinaz

Jimboinaz Active Member

Dec 24, 2020
    I hate to say it but I think Father Time has caught up to Big Ben. I'm hopeful that he can scratch out a playoff win or 2 then ride off into the sunset. If the Steelers don't fix the OL he will get destroyed next year and he's too good of a QB to go out getting beat up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Because they won't be his last 3 games of his career, he already said that he wants to come back. What he says goes, since he runs the team. When he says jump, MT and Fichtner ask how high?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

That would be great if Ben was like Bettis and just a minor role player, but that isn’t the case. Ben’s decline directly affects our fortunes for the remainder of the year and the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s not like Ben is riding off into the sunset. Heck, he fell off the horse, fell in a pile of horse poop, and is getting dragged with his foot stuck in a stirrup.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I would like to see Ben go out in a blaze of glory. He is the field general and as Ben goes the team goes. But Father Time has caught up, the elbow is getting worse, possibly a knee and who knows what else.

I would hate to see him go out like Marino.

Their is no way they can pay him 41,250,000 next season. And extending him would not be a smart decision. The Rooney's and coaching staff will have to sit down with him at the end of the season and recommend he retires.

It will be a sad day but it's time...

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Agree completely

Cap hit is way too high n extending him is lunacy. Talk him.into retiring or he WILL be released, not what they want but it's time. Unfortunately

12. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I think he just needs better protection, all those bad throws in cincy as best as I can remember were because he was hurried and hit, meaning knocked down, i guess its a combination of not being mobile and having no time back there to throw, indy is the last dream, if we lose this than I think conversations will begin, still hope... next week is the test, need to be better in the trenches for O-line,

also side note everyone harps on our run game, Benny gave us 80 plus yards, that is workable in my opinion, more Benny and less underthrown near pics

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Why can't we all just get along?

14. Timbrr

Timbrr Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Barring a major injury Ben is playing next year and Thomlin is coaching. The teams salary cap is going to be a real problem. Oh well Merry Christmas everyone.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It is hard to see Ben struggle.

I don’t want Ben to go out like this...losing the division to the Browns.

I think it is hard because I was hoping for an Elway situation in his last year or two...where a strong running game and defense could take the pressure off of him and take us deep into the playoffs.

I’m still rooting for him. He is my guy!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. Scottish Steel

Scottish Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2015
    I think big Ben is going to surprise a few people and I'm right behind him:thumbs_up:

17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Obviously you are young. I hope you don't have to wait as long as us older guys had to from Bradshaw to Ben.

I think this is it for Ben too but others on this board think he will be under center next season.

18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I would hate to see Ben pull a Brady and keep on playing for another team.

19. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Fans are funny people. Ben went from an MVP and comeback player of the year candidate to washed up has been in the span of a few games. Aside from the Cinci game, most of the offensive troubles have been due to a poor running game, dropped passes and poor oline protection. If we were starting Rudolph or Dobbs we’d be 3-10 this year like Cinci.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    $22.25 million of that money has already been paid, and is counting against the 2021 cap no matter what happens. A decision will need to be made before his $15 million roster bonus becomes due on the 3rd day of the league year.

We don’t know what’s actually wrong with him because it’s being kept close to the vest. To me, the only way I would keep him for 2021 is if what he’s dealing with is an acute injury that would be expected to fully heal in the offseason. The Ben from earlier this year was good enough to win another championship. Is that Ben gone for good, or just suffering a short term injury? We may never know.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I visualized that and laughed pretty bad lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He WILL be released LMAO! Ya, Just like Tomlin will be fired!

IF the Steelers lose their last 3 games....Hell, If the Steelers get blown out their last 3 games...

If Tomlin WANTS ( he will ) come back, he will be back...And if Ben wants to come back, He will be back.....

AR runs this team... He'll maybe say a few off-season things...Like last year he stated all tough " We will get back to running the Football, and back to Steeler Football "

Ya, ok Art...Those of you who think anything will change ( Fitchner....maybe ) will be the BIGGEST thing that happens this off-season...and to Art, that'll be like earth shattering news!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    IMHO, if Ben cared about anything but himself, and really cared about the Steelers (which I highly doubt) he'd retire as soon as the season is over. That would be the best thing to happen. It's time to move on at the qb position, and the sooner the better. Those statements about Ben running the team, and making the decisions, you think that's a "good thing"? It's definitely not. And that's one reason I wish Ben was gone. No one player on a team should have that much power. Since the late 60s, I've watched Steeler players come and go, none last forever, Ben has had his time, now he needs to go. It seems like some of you think the Steelers ARE " Big Ben " . They're not. They were good before Ben, and they'll be fine after he's gone. Don't know if I can say the same about some of you. You all act like it's the end of the world, and the Steelers won't exist, if Ben isn't at qb.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Unfortunately, it’s looking like that report that came out a couple weeks ago is looking spot on. Deep concerns about Bens knees in the organization and that it won’t get better during this season.

If they lose against the Colts, I’d definitely shut him down on the off chance that it helps at all and maybe gives him enough to power through the playoffs.

I’m not hopeful.

He can help put these concerns to rest with a dominant performance on Sunday.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  25. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

I was posting what SHOULD happen vs. What will. Art is an empty suit n rudderless so ya, they will probably extend him n drag this into late 20's because that's the worst decision they could make.... LOL

• Agree Agree x 1