1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bengals might be starting 3rd string QB Ryan Finley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 17, 2020.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ryan Finley (and my daughter went to NCSt). The Wolfpack play in Carter Finley Stadium. When Ryan QB'd NC St half their fans called him Carter Finley by mistake.

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I remember just fine. I'm not the one comparing Gilbert to Unitas in his prime. He did miss on some throws he should have completed. If not, the Cowboys probably would have won that game. As at was, he had them up in the fourth quarter.

Finley was absolutely horrible against the Steelers last season. The Steelers' defense was excellent, but Finey's incompetence cost his team any real chance of winning that game despite a pathetic Pittsburgh offense.

3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Obviously you didn't remember just fine. You were wrong about the way the Cowboys QB performed. The numbers showed how well he didn't play. If Gilbert was a more consistent player.................. If I had the winning power ball numbers..............

The Cowboys QB made some plays. Any players that make it into the NFL can play and make plays. People need simply to stop over exaggerating.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The third-string quarterback kept the Cowboys in a game when they were overmatched. Gilbert was decent. I never wrote that he was great. I did think the Steelers made him look better than he is. It wasn't their best effort.

Even the lone interception wasn't really Gilbert's fault. It was a great play by Heyward, shoving a blocker into the quarterback as he threw.

Please stop trying to make this personal. I am well aware of what happened that day. That my opinion of those events is different from yours doesn't mean I don't remember the game properly.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Cowboys kept the Cowboys in the game. The Steelers didn't help the situation with the mistakes they made.

History has proven that believing that the opposition being overmatched is a mistake.

You wrote, "There is a history of this team making backup quarterbacks look good, including the Dallas game this season." Gilbert wasn't even decent/good statistically. Do you really believe Gilbert played a decent game? What kind of bar does that set if you really believe Gilbert played a decent game? Not very high it seems. So it seems you would believe that almost every QB that faced the Steelers had a decent game. Ok Ok I get it now. No win situation for the Steelers.

I am not making this personal but this is a discussion board so..............stop creating the narrative that this team makes back up QB's look good. It's far from the truth.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, you don't get it. You're too busy looking for a fight to have a genuine discussion. I did no such thing. There is a history of backup quarterbacks playing well against the Steelers. There have been a couple of occasions that it happened this year, such as Driskel throwing for 256 yards and a couple of touchdowns to give the Broncos a shot to win in the final seconds in Denver.

Yes, Gilbert was decent, which tells you that was a poor game for the Steelers. This is a 29-year-old scrub who had all of six career attempts going into that game, none this season.

And no, not every quarterback who has faced the Steelers this year has had a decent game. Until the injuries hit, the Steelers' pass defense was among the best in the league. They had some communication breakdowns early in the season but seemed to have that fixed until the last couple of games. Hopefully, they can regain their form and dominate against Finley in what should be a mismatch.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Steelers need to make Finley uncomfortable from the 1st snap and continue all game long. Against the Cowboys they let their QB get into a rhythm early. Can't let that happen again.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Let's hope Tuitt and Watt show up this game, they were invisible against the Bills.

9. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    The thing that sucks about this game with Cincys current state is that nothing good besides not getting injured can come from it. Win by 30 who cares the Bengals are horrible. Next week vs Indy will be more telling obviously.

10. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I still have no idea why Watt was standing on the sidelines during the final TD drive by the Bills along with Claypool seeing only 3 snaps in the 2nd half. Tomin doesn't play with a full deck sometimes that's for sure.:rules:

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Watt said teams are already rolling their protection more in his direction. Life is a lot easier for opposing quarterbacks without Dupree on the other side.

12. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    This game at any point and time has no business being close or within doubt that the Steelers aren’t gonna win. The Bengals offense is awful and are just not gonna score hardly any points against this Steelers defense maybe 10-14 if even that but no more. If you jump on this team early like Ben and the offense needs to do and get up something like 17-0 nothing or 21-3 around halftime this game will be over. This better not be a game where the Steelers let Cincinnati hang around after halftime. It’s going to be incredibly frustrating if that indeed ends up happening. This game better be decided tonight between 10-1030.

13. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    I think this game will be closer than all of us hope for. Unless the Steelers start catching everything and establishing a running game all of a sudden.

14. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    If this offense struggles again in a big way against this Bengals defense which stinks and the Steelers still win but the playcalling is still a mess and it’s an absolute grind to win this game, I seriously consider firing Randy Fichtner as early as tomorrow. I don’t want this guy calling plays and running this offense for a team that still has a legit chance to make a Super Bowl run in the playoffs if he can’t come up with a good game plan and draw up a decent amount of plays that will work to beat a ****ty Bengals team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Joe is in his Burrow for the winter, and we get Maude Finley. Let’s hope the Steelers don’t continue the tradition of being lit up by some QB you barely heard of before and probably won’t again.

16. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Hire Lester Hayes, who can coat the receivers with stickum. That would solve most of the offensive problems.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe Watt needed needed a break

18. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Steelers are going to make Finley look like a Pro-Bowler as long as Ben keeps giving him the opportunity.

19. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
  20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Finley is schooling Ben thus far.

21. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    JUJU deserves to get blown up.