1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Drafting the Next QB.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mgsmooth, Dec 21, 2020.

1. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Does Pittsburgh draft a QB in the upcoming draft?
    I’m aware of the needs at OL, DE, ILB, and RB....
    But if they do draft a QB, how high do we draft and who can we realistically get?

I’ve seen a lot of mock drafts, but wanted to get some insight from the persons on this board. Thanks.

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Depends on where we draft and who is available. They won’t reach.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It depends on wether they actually think Mason is the future. I don’t know how anybody could actually think that but the Steelers do lots of things that make no sense so.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I would say no unless something unexpected happens and the right guy falls in to their lap.

I expect that in 2022 they will have a higher draft pick and several reasonably good compensatory picks if the lose Juju, Bud and others as expected. They will have plenty of ammo to trade up, that’s when you pull the trigger on a QB

2021 draft should be about OLine and Secondary and BPA after that, depending on what free agents stay or go of course.

If Ben doesn’t commit next year there are plenty of stop gap veterans around the league that can fill in for a year

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    With all the Covid and College game shuffling going on it's really not a great year to go after a QB IMO. There will be a few that go early in the draft this year but then it becomes too uncertain by the time Steelers would pick and the mid to late rounds will probably be hit or miss. I also don't think they will give up on Rudolph being the future just yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't watch alot of college football. But, I did see some good ones other then clemson's qb. I don't know if they're coming out this year though

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    If you assume a 3 seed and losing first round (not a prediction, just worst possible finish), i think you're then looking a pick 20 or so at the highest.

Showing my work:
    14 playoff teams 1-16 for the teams not making the playoffs....
    3rd seed and losing should equal 3-4 teams also losing with worse record than the steelers, so, 20-22 most likely in that scenario.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    If there is some one you really like that falls in Round 1, they may pounce.

Round 1 for QB is crutical at times. Teams love the 5th year option, and if you land a quality QB that pans out, have him for as long as possible and cheap as possible keeps you in a championship mode to spend on other spots on the roster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    OL needs to be addressed first. Unless you draft a very highly touted prospect, you don't stick a young QB behind a crappy Oline, you'll destroy them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I have no idea what they will do but if I don't see a QB in the first 3 rounds I'll have to assume that Ben is playing another year (which I don't think he will) or Mason Rudolph is going to need neck massages constantly since he'll be looking up at Baker, Joe and Lamar.:puking:

:smashbengals:

• Like Like x 1
  11. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers are gonna have to get a QB in free agency. They never suck enough to get a franchise QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm thinking the only real talent at qb that we may have a chance at would be Jamie Newman, but that would have to realistically come in either rd 1 or 2, otherwise, we're looking at the FA market

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If they do then they would be the only one

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I was on the trade for Darnold train but now maybe the Jets aren't giving up on him?

15. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I agree they need to find a young QB who has fallen out of favor possibly from playing on a lousy team but still has some skill and might have been a high draft choice. I think with this defense when healthy and some additions to the oline the Steelers have the tools to be more than competitive. They could make good use of a decent game manager, preferably one who can throw further than 7 yds downfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think the Jets will regret that useless victory yesterday.