1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bengals might be starting 3rd string QB Ryan Finley

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Dec 17, 2020.

1. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ryan Finley is going to play? Oh man, everyone gets to play in Cincy. I wanna play too! Just not against our defense. Can I pick another game?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    C'mon. He will do finely.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I corrected my typo, LOL

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Whatever it takes to get the div title. Shouldn't matter who they play, if the team wants the title as much as the fans, this SHOULD be a win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So Kyle Shurmur is starting at QB Monday?

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It's actually gonna be AJ Green after Allen's too scared, Finley can't play and TJ turns Shurmur into Sherbert. Once Green gets sacked 3 plays in a row. Zac Taylor has to step up to play QB cause his job is now basically all but gone. Tells all other coaches to suit up and block for him cause his Oline has been garbage all along. They then beat the Steelers in OT after they spot Jim Breech in the stands and have him kick a new NFL record 70 yard FG beating the Steelers 6-3. During Tomlin presser he congratulates, the Bengals, their coaching staff and fans for a hard, well fought victory. Ben takes blame for Dionte's 17 drops and says he has to play better if they want to win any more games ever. Zac Taylor cites JUJU for dancing on their logo as the extra motivation of him and Breech saving the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Burrow (no S steel machine) is probably hoping for this, gives him a chance at relocating to a NFL team.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Depends on what shenanigans Butler has in store for our defenders. :shrug:

9. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Its the QBs who are supposed to be bad that worry me the most lol.

10. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Exactly the reason why I don't think they'd have a Chance against guys like Mahomes or Rogers. They're too used to playing against Ryan finleys and Jeff driskels

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe a 3rd string QB won 3 games last year for some team.

• Like Like x 1
  12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Its not rocket science for 3rd string QB's either, the blueprint is out there. Everytime a team comes in and trys the doing what they do on offense it is shut down and by the third quarter its time for the cheat sheet. What plays should we call? Just look for the guy wide open in the middle zone. Keep doing that till we score. Heck they don't need progressions or fancy motion plays just have a guy stop 5ft before the ilb's and just 5 ft in front of the safety and its completion time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Allen did not practice again Friday. He may end up playing Monday night, but I think it's fair to say it is more than a precaution at this point.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That Jacksonville QB sucked, and the Steelers won big.

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Pfft, third string QB !

upload_2020-12-18_18-56-44.png

16. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Lebeau had the same problem, it's the soft spot. Bush needs to be like D. Brooks.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thats the thing it just doesn't change for years. After Sunday night's game lots of chatter on how Allen and the Bills took it to the Steelers. No they didn't. They did exactly what everyone one else who has scored against this defense did, find the soft spot in the middle zone and worked it. Their run game was shut down in the 1st half, their passing game went nowhere and then they suddenly decided to try what everyone else had. I think Miles Sanders TD run was the only legit guy made a move and blew by the D. Everything else was middle zone and ILB getting suckered on run plays with motion. You know we used to argue if the Steelers D had been figured out and if QB's especially inexperienced ones knew what to do. They don't need to know anything just find the open guy in the middle before the rush gets there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Bengals have ruled Brandon Allen out for Monday's game. Ryan Finley is getting the start. I know the injuries are piling up right now, but if the Steelers can't win that game, I don't think they are winning another game this season.

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm thinking the Steelers will be resting starters week 17 Scribe. What sucks is that the Bengals don't need to lose the game for draft pick positioning.

20. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It's hilarious seeing people bag on the defense like it is bad or something. 3rd in YPG, 3rd in PYPG, 6th in RYPG, 1st in Points Allowed and yet they suck apparently.

21. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Wow you know Mike Brown?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is a history of this team making backup quarterbacks look good, including the Dallas game this season. Also, this is not the same defense that earned those lofty rankings. They are missing three starting linebackers and one of the top reserves. The run defense hasn't been the same since they lost Bush, and is even weaker without Spillane. The pass rush is diminished without Dupree. Williams is also an effective blitzer. They also lost the coverage option with Dupree, who is good in that role on the occasions he does drop. They have lost experience and athleticism, which makes it tougher to adjust to what teams are doing to them and more difficult to contain mobile quarterbacks. One of the few positive attributes Finley has as a pro quarterback is his mobility.

Should the defense still be able to handle the Bengals? Absolutely. Are there reasons for serious concern due to injuries and Williams being out with COVID? Absolutely. Those numbers you quoted tell us more about what this defense was when it was healthy than what it is now. They are still good, but not great. I don't think we are seeing great again this season without Bush and Dupree.

23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I wonder if teams think the same about facing our 3rd stringers. Or just laugh, get drunk, and play hungover.

24. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Bad memory or exaggeration at it's finest. Cowboys QB had 55% completion, 1 TD, 1 INT, 72.6 rate. Stop exaggerating or get a better memory.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People memories tend to be unreliable. Cowboys QB had 55% completion, 1 TD, 1 INT, 72.6 rate.

I agree that the defense isn't the same with all the injuries to LB. Teams can only over come so many injuries before they start to affect a unit/team. As great as the 70's Steelers were they were unable to over come their share of injuries.