1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Offense Problem Solution (T.O.P.S)

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fearthesteel, Dec 17, 2020.

1. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    so now do you all believe that mason rudolph is not all that horrible.... its this darn offense even with big ben. sure ben was putting up numbers but then again at that point he was making up plays telling recievers what route to run and that was our offense on the fly, and it was working. he's since just about stopped doing that and hes looks exactly how mason rudolph looked last season... all because of the offense playbook plus not a very good o-line and no running game.

look here though i have the solution right here on this link. im sure this well get us going again.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ftw.us...rs-offense-play-action-ben-roethlisberger/amp

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I think the link has valid points but we have several other things that are causing the offense to struggle. The biggest one is RF, who's job is to figure these things out. Hard to make things happen when being out smarted, out prepared, and predictable as hell. The ultimate authority of all this is the HC who seems to go blameless and everyone wants the OC fired. RF is doing the same things as usual because his boss is OK with it, right? Does Ben have that much clout? Or does RF work directly for KC?

3. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    1. Does Ben want to take the hits that play action presents with the longer routes? 2. The running game is so bad, that the defense isn't going to fall for play action.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey fearthesteel.

I hope your day is going well my friend.

As I have stated, "The Pass is our strength". When the targeted players (WRs TEs RBs) do not execute (catch the ball), it kills the drives. Everything else goes out the window. We cannot rely on the Run to carry the Offense as we all know nor does it have too. However, the function of the Run is to complement the Pass with Our team.

Conner has had a few 100 yard games. We can run. Not as well as we want but we can. However, when both aspects (Pass and Run) of the Offense are not executing we are anemic. Again, "catch the freakin' ball" and all else should fall into place. It was when they were catching the ball and it should return to that state of affairs as soon as the "drops" come to an end.

As I have been stating since back in the Spring, we have way too many weapons on the Offensive side of the ball for opposing defensives to contend with. Too many! We have terrific skill-set players that can take turns in being that guy on that day.

Now as far as the run, I stated this the other day, this is where Fichtner, Ben or whoever is calling a running play, stop calling a play that does not align with what we can do. If we can not jam the ball down someone's throat then so be it. "Outsmart" them if you cannot "Outmuscle" them.

Football is a game of attrition as you know. Gain a yard, lose a yard. Brute strength is not always the answer. Is it good to have? Of course. However, why continue to bang your head against the wall when it isn't working. Give the opposing defense something that they have never seen before on 3rd or 4th and 1. Outsmart your opponent. The best leaders throughout history are "Great" for that reason. Knowing what strategy to use as dictated by a number of variables.

Football is a activity of embattlement. You want that yard, you need that yard? Then go take it by any means possible. Do not make it easy for the opposing defenses by showing your hand. Sure, if you think that you can reveal your hand by your next play's alignment: That we are going to run it up the gut now come see if you can do anything about it, then fine. If you can do it. We have proven more often than not this season that we cannot.

So, given that, then outsmart your opponent. This is where the OC must be creative, an "Artist" of sorts. This is where battles are won and lost in any facet of life, competition. Any great leader knows how to adapt. To survey and analyze the "Playing Field" per se (Sport's Arena, Corporate Board Room, School Classroom, etc.).

Look, I could go on all day about the parallels of Sports and other venues of competition. There are many "Universal" concepts and principles that are applicable. Again, the greatest leaders throughout the history of the World got/get it. That is why they are deemed "Great".

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    O line can’t run block
    O line can’t pass block
    Receivers can’t catch
    Backs have no vision
    Ben can’t throw deep
    Ben can’t scramble
    Randy is predictable

defenses love us lol

if we had the 2017 defense we would be a 4 win team

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well now I feel better.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I was going to post this article with a title "Circular Reasoning".

No Running game,O line cannot block, get push or open holes . Bottom 4 in plays of 20 yards, QB is struggling to throw the ball with velocity at that distance...the solution for this is more Play Action...

Problem,for PA to be effective you need to establish a running game for the D to respect that said PA, you need a QB that can make that fake and throw it effectively, I am sure there are things I am missing...bottom line PA will only work when they establish a running game...we have not had that all year. Even in the games where we ran 125 yards a game it was not that the run was respected or used that effectively...it was enough,but not impressive.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Again Ben is not practicing. This is the last three games now he hasn't practice of practiced very little. Maybe just maybe Randy is limited to what Ben can do. :cool:

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m not saying it’s right, but Ben normally doesn’t practice on Wednesday.

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It's Thursday. All he did last week was the walk through day. The week before that not at all.:cool:

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hook line and sinker, I was waiting for you to bite. :drinks:

It’s a Monday game so today is his Wednesday.

12. fearthesteel

Apr 28, 2019
    but for my point on mason rudolph last year.....and duck.....wasnt this the same problem. so i dont think it was them being so bad as it was RF and his whole offense coupled with bad old aging 0-line. not even big ben can make up for that. even though he tried and was successful for 10 games calling and making up his own plays. but that seems to have stopped these last couple of games.

also it seems to me even if we run once or twice and dont get much like whats been happening the defenders still have to bite no matter. were bound to get a few plays from guys who are actually going to bite. so the article is not saying to run it per say but i really think it would be a great start to get going. also i never see screen plays to mcfarland to get him out in open space.

13. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Fitchner is along for the ride imo. We are watching the Big Ben show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    So Mason doesn't suck?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    So Mason doesn't suck?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I'm from Canada. No, we don't all know each other.
    SteelersFanCanada, Yesterday at 11:36 PMReport

:smiley1::smiley1: Luv this board---

btw: have this situation solved. will submit details soon.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you make a great point. I've said it before, Mason came in last year and protected the ball well until the Cleveland game. Now that is basically a rookie QB (even though it was his second year). He did not have the benefit of a Jerome Bettis type RB to hand the ball off to. Looking back Ben himself has had quite a few multiple interception games. Mason will be in this league a long time. Many coaches have said he is a student of the game and definitely has the mental capacity required. I do not believe Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana or Dan Marino would have faired any better with our offense last year.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    And I knew you would say that. When you are the leader and you and the team are struggling, it's time to quit thinking about yourself and show the young players it's important to put the time in and right the ship.:cool:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I say half time no matter the score, put Mason in and see what he can do. I would love to see the QB controversy light up this board after he hits a few long passes. Ben's combined "in air" yardage for long passes this season is 73 yards. Everything else is after catch yardage.

19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think we know. It's hard for any QB to be successful under the RF system. He's beyond terrible and I have no idea why he's still here. I would literally fire him right now before he sinks our playoff hopes. Baltimore did it the year they won the SB.

If Andy Reid had Rudolph, would he suck?

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bradshaw once “over threw” a receiver by 72 yards.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. fearthesteel

Apr 28, 2019
    i would love a controversy myself. i thought mason was real good in college on the long ball. he needs to show that...with washington jus like in college.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    The only reason RF was there is so he can let Ben be and let him do what he wants. Unfortunately, it is not a "plug and play" offense. Andy Reid would have adjusted the offense to the QB's strength. RF showed his true worth by not being able to adapt an offense to play to Mason's strength. Unfortunately, he has continued that same offense this year to adjust for Ben's weakness. I do believe it Mason came in they could actually open up the offense. I know people will disagree and blast me for this, but Mason does have accuracy downfield. People want to deny it because they are comparing him to Ben prior to the elbow injury. But of course RF's play calling last year was run, short pass, go long on third down. Not too hard to figure out not to mention new QB with inexperienced WRs. Yes, I know Juju had the experience, but now was a #1WR getting double teamed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    That is a fair point.

His system seems to get more predictable each week and I'm not even an Xs and Os guy.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Mason has accuracy on lofted passes down the field, and he did plenty of that successfully in college. However, he is not shown consistent accuracy or zip on the critical intermediate throws, especially when trying to hit a crosser. In college he did 3 things well: lofted deep passes, passes at or behind the line of scrimmage, and fades to Marcel Ateman and sometimes JW. In the NFL a QB needs to throw everything, and the intermediate passes are critical to a successful passing game. You can't live on just deep balls against NFL-caliber DBs.

25. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Ben this year is Mason last year only with better TD and INT numbers. Maybe hiring Ben's buddy as OC wasn't such a great idea.

• Agree Agree x 1