1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So, you think Mike Tomlin should be fired?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Dec 14, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What other coach has won more than 1 Super Bowl in the last 25 years, besides Belichick?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It's funny you didn't see these type of threads when the Steelers were 11-0, now that they lost 2 in a row, fans want to fire the coach :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Might be better because Tomlin took over a SB caliber team as where Noll had to start from scratch. Plus Noll was a coach for 23 seasons , this is MT's14Th ? His numbers will drop when Ben finally goes

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The only reason the new guys are doing well is because of the raw talent. Chase already had the rep of being very good. Ju ju is still ju ju , Ike didn't change anything, theres been a bunch of ju ju threads wondering where he went or what happened to him. So no props there.

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    As someone pointed out in another thread, the Steelers play one of the easiest schedules by winning percentage, the Jets the hardest. If the Steelers were 0-12, and the Jets were 10-2, the Steelers would have one of the hardest schedules by win percentage, and the Jets one of the easiest.
    For example, the Steelers are 4-1 against teams with winning records. The Packers are 1-2. But the Packers supposedly have a harder schedule.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    But despite all that regular season success, we've had very little playoff success since 2010. What is the goal, regular season success or playoff success?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I would say No .... but, only because I don't see a replacement of longevity out there right now. We have some guys/gals on this board that search this kind of data.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Regular season apparently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Using this rebuttal, the Arizona Cardinals should be 12-0 due to the raw talent on that roster. For that matter, the Carolina Panthers should be Top Five in every Defensive Category due to "raw talent".

In the NFL, having the combination of pure brute strength, superb intellect, great situational awareness, immense athletic ability and tremendous technical expertise means nothing without some form of the basics. If this were the case, players like Chase Young or even Justin Herbert have no business even being drafted as high as they are. The main reason players such as those are drafted high is due in part to their diligence in the basics that were taught to them.

In short?! Great players need great coaching and/or teaching to reach their maximum potential; no matter who they are. Players like T.J. Watt, Chase Claypool and Minkah Fitzpatrick are no exception.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    That 05 line was awesome. Would be nice to see Faneca get his dues

11. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    People forget Tomlin took over a .500 team

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Ihave always wanted Tomlin Fired, he is a hack

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Kirkland

Kirkland Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2020
    A year removed from winning the Super Bowl and hall of famers on both sides of the ball. (not the least of which a quarterback going into his 4th year)

And did someone make the case in here for Tomlin over Noll? Really:lolol: The Steelers were essentially the Bengals of today when Noll took over. He’s the one mainly responsible for building the winning and storied culture of this franchise. He’s not on Noll’s level, please..

A Tomlin quote that annoyed me this year was the one where he said: “the only thing perfect about us is our record.” I wonder if he’s going to shadow-box any tv cameras after they beat the Bengals.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  14. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It was a super bowl hung over team who had a coach leaving. He took over the same players and coaches and made a name for himself with Cowhers people.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just like Billadick's are going to drop now that Tommy boy is gone. Yes there are Coaches who are much better then others but in the long run great players make great coaches. Ask Jim Leyland how it was when the Pirates disbanded after 1992 season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We aren't talking about what happens with the other teams we're talking about our players. TJ was already known to be a beast i watch college ball and was hoping they would grab him. He was already great when useless Porter was a coach.
    Chase was already being compared to Calvin Johnson before he was even drafted , he's playing as advertised . Fitz the same he was already a great player. Look how quick the D turned around when Fitz came here, that had nothing to do with our coaches he already had it in him. If anybody deserves props its the college coaches, not Tomlins bums.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Okay, how about comparing them to another team that has had a HOF(?) QB for the same amount of time? Your favorite and mine, I give you: the Chargers! HOF quarterback doesn't help as much as you think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    My feeling is NO. I do not want him fired. I just want more imagination from him and/or the OC. But that won't happen, so he should be fired. But the Steelers haven't fired a coach since LBJ was lying to us about Vietnam. So, Tomlin is my guy.

19. 08SteelCurtain

08SteelCurtain Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2015
    One is a prerequisite for the other. So being that we win far more than lose and haven’t been losers since he’s been here, we have the luxury of rooting for a perennial playoff hopeful. They play meaningful December football annually without exception. So rare, there’s about 28 other teams that can’t say that

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    And look at his PLAYOFF performances since Cowhers players retired and he built his own team......

3 wins in 11 years!! Wake up

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    HOF!!!!!! For a Coach who has underachieved, and lost MANY games he should have won, with a HOF QB and loaded rosters the last TEN years...

Wow, The Hall isn't what it used to be!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Having Tomlin ,Ben and Fichtner here is wasting everybody's time. Its ruined the great o-line that we've been waiting for. Now they have to rebuild it again for the next QB. Congrats to your streak of never having a under .500 season coach . Mission accomplished!!! You're my hero!!! :bowdown::bowdown:

23. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    All based on his win % and 2 super bowls. Hopefully once Ben retires and hopefully he gets his walking papers he goes somewhere else and is exposed for the fraud he is. I think when the day comes he leaves the Steelers he is done because he wont want to really mess with his high win %. He's still young and could coach for many more years but another 10 somewhere without the talent he has here there will be a lot of 3,4,5,6 win seasons and really bring that winning percentage back down to earth so show the average coach he really is.

The Steelers should fire Tomlin this season and give Bieniemy whatever he wants. There will probably be a learning curve but if we could make a deal for a QB (Darnold, Wentz- somehow without the contract, or a flyer on Mariota or Rosen). Rebuild the Oline and RBs we could be right back in the mix in 1-2 years.

Go get a up and comer get rid of the old guard if the December fails continue with a playoff bust.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Someone finally comes up with a name of a legitimate replacement. Bienemy might be the guy, or Robert Sahleh!

25. SteelerfnVA

SteelerfnVA Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I like Sahleh a lot as well but the way the league is and is going I would go offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1