1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

On the Pass play that should have been a fumble?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Did Tomlin miss the challenge, or was he told he could not challenge?

Just curious as the announcers were talking about there being no clear recovery of the fumble, but they did confirm that the incomplete pass call was 100% wrong.

The bills did a quick snap on the next play, so I was just curious if Tomlin forgot to throw the red flag, or was told he could not throw the red flag.

2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I’m not sure if it was determined who recovered. Everyone kinda stood around and I thought one of the Bills picked up the ball

3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That's how I recall it, there was a scramble and the whistle blew, but the refs had the ball reset very quickly and it appeared a Bill player gave the ref the ball.

4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The whistles went pretty quickly, so there wasn’t much of a chance for a recovery and therefore, no point in challenging.

My question is, aren’t the refs supposed to let those types of plays play out instead of jumping the gun and blowing the play dead?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They did it later in the game on Ben's final interception. Weren't sure if he was down by contact and let the play continue while the Steelers all stood around looking like idiots going where is the flag on that one.

6. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I just want to know who is in the press box in charge of helping him with challenges?? I thought that was a thing because they ****ing suck. Give me his job.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, that means the Bill should have challenged the call on the field and not quickly run another play, so it could not be reviewed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Best I can say is the Refs seen the ball go forward quite a ways and they assumed that it had to be an incomplete pass. They should have never blown the whistle that quick without knowing for sure though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Steeler should have picked up the football and ran off the field with it (ala Alex Smith), then we would have had time to review the replay and challenge it

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011

Should have been a flag by the way. 2 hands on the shoulder as he was trying to come back to make an attempt on the ball, with a push off to get the INT. The Bills players were waiting on the flag too, when the whistle didn't blow and there was no laundry on the field, they started to block for him. Everyone around that ball thought the play was dead and there was going to be a flag.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    If there is a clear recovery in the immediate continuing action they award the ball to the recovering team. No chance for run back due to the whistle. What is not clear to me is was that considered continuing action as the ball bounced around a while.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    They really should have done that .. Pick up the ball and start running, they blow the whistle, slow down, and run a little more....Now , you always get a few from the other team start chasing you...they blow the whistle, run a little more...

I see this from all the other teams from other teams, and yes it drives me nuts.....Guys just keep running.... ignoring the Refs and whistles....Having their teammates join them by the time they reach the end zone to dance around even more, all the while whistles still tooting...

Hey...Coach this up....if nothing else, The TV gives you more time to keep showing it, which means more time ( for people upstairs ) Whoever TF ) that is to see it, and MAYBE radio Popcorn to challenge it...Plays like this AREN'T ho-hum plays " oh, maybe......We could have thrown the flag there ) These are game altering, possible season altering plays...That happen so fast, why not TRY to give yourself a couple extra seconds if you think there's a chance...Not gonna hurt anything!

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Tomlin has decided to stop challenging because of his record. He thinks that if he doesn't lose a challenge for the rest of the year, it will improve his challenge win/lose record.

Kinda like his non-losing record?................ Tomlin hasn't lost a challenge is X weeks!

14. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Yes, they are. Quality of refs is down a few slots last 5years, especially since league took over n tells them what to call rather then letting the do their jobs.....

Riverron was a below the line ref back on day, imo n he's leading the clown show

Why did they blow the offsides play on buffalo dead?

Seen that a few times last cpl seasons across league, kinda BS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  15. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    THE WHISTLE NULLIFIES ALL AND WILL BE HENCE FORTH KNOWN AS THE END ALL BE ALL!

THIS HAS BEEN DECREED!

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Layne recovered it.

17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I struggle with the picked up flags. Are they just exercising their arm?

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    So, it would have been Steelers ball if they had challenged it.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, it wouldn't, because the officials blew the whistle long before the recovery. The officials blew it on that one, not Tomlin.

20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    How screwed up was that! Never saw that before. Stupid zebras