1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Carson Wentz

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by pjgruden, Dec 1, 2020.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I know he's been awful this year. But, he wasn't always this bad and he always kind of reminded me of a young Ben.
    I know he has a huge contract, but if the Eagles were to part ways with him, would anyone be Interested in him? I think he could be a fair successor to Ben. As good as him? Probably not. But better than what's in the system right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Nope, i dont follow college qbs that much, but when Ben leaves i'd be happy trading our # 1 and another pick or 2 to move up in the draft to take 1 of the top rated qbs coming out that year, especiaslly if we have a good team mostly intact

3. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    No thank you. I don't think this year is an anomaly. He doesn't seem to be able to read defenses to me. I think he has the athletic ability, but no football smarts.

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The guy has no Oline, terrible WR's and is dealing with bad playcalling. If you watch the Eagles play, as soon as the ball is snapped there's defenders in the backfield.

He's not an elite QB, but he's far better than what we're seeing right now. The problem with QB's like that is the team is often good enough to miss out on high picks to get a QB, but still bad enough that they can't contend.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Funny seeing this. Some Eagle fans tell me they think he will be a Steeler when his contract is up. They have seen what is behind Ben and they feel Mason is not an NFL starting QB. I agree and would not mind Wentz to replace Ben. He will come alive in his 30's as a Steeler.;+)

6. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    No way at the current contract but I could see giving him a try as a bridge in a year or two at the right price. Ideally draft the right QB. That really helps with the cap situation for a few years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    While I do think Wentz could be a good QB in the right system and with the right talent around him, I can agree with I would rather get a QB in the draft that would be a long term franchise QB. Then again, Drew Brees a few years out from the Chargers was not a bad deal for the Saints. For the most part I do not agree with a Band-Aid QB for a few short years. All it does it cause screw up your future by not getting you in position to ever get a top tier college QB.

8. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    i think i have said this before....i belive if you can get him for a fair price, and have him sit behind Ben and learn how to play QB in the NFL when you are a big boddied QB, for a year or so, it may be fairly rewarding. Nobody will ever be BEN again, they just wont; but Wentz was a pretty decent QB in 2017, and he really just needs to get his confidence back and get out of that dumpster fire of a city.

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Not just 2017:
    2018: 11 games, 3,074 yards, 21 TDs, 7 ints, 102.2 rating
    2019: 16 games, 4,039 yards, 27 TDs, 7 ints, 93.1 rating

This season is the only season where his performance has truly been subpar. His bigger issue over his career has been availability. My question is whether this season’s constant butt kicking has damaged his psyche, or whether he can bounce back. If he is cut (if the Eagles would even consider taking the cap hit), I would take him in a heartbeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. NDsteelerfan

Oct 26, 2011
    Alot depends on how Hurts does in the next few games. If he proves capable, the fans might force the issue to cut him, if not, they may try to get Wentz back on track. That contract is a cap killer, for sure, but I don't think anyone thought that Wentz was just gonna go completely off the rails the way he has

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Him or Sam Darnold could turn out to be good reclamation projects. Wentz' offensive line is offensive and that has as much to do with his troubles this year as anything else. I really don't think Philly is going to give up on Wentz. The cap hit and the fact that he has pedigree as a pro starter is enough for me to believe that. Darnold might be a different story. I can see the Jets burning it down from the GM to the towel boys, so he might be available. He has the talent, but has shown it only in flashes. I think that has more to do with the fact that the Jets are a dumpster fire of an organization and Darnold needs a change of scenery.

The next three years will be huge for the Steeler organization. I honestly don't think Ben will play past next year and I don't have any confidence is Mason Rudolph as anything other than maybe a serviceable back up or third starter, practice squad/training camp arm. I really hope they are still looking for a franchise QB because when #7 is gone, they don't have one in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. NDsteelerfan

Oct 26, 2011
    Reports are out that Carson does not want to be a backup behind Hurts and wants out of Philly.... unfortunately for him, whee ever he goes, he should be a backup for a year or so....this isn't going to end well

14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Look at Tannehill. Wasn't good in Miami because it was a dumpster fire. Leaves and has been excellent. That could easily be Darnold or Wentz.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I tend to think he has chronic back pain, only thing I can think of to explain how bad he’s been. Would explain why they drafted Hurts, too. I think they knew Wentz might not be able to play at a high level anymore because of his back.

Edit: I should add that if that’s not the case, and he gets a clean bill of health, I’d definitely like to see the Steelers pick him up.

• Informative Informative x 1