1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaun Sarrett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Munchak has been talked about ad nauseum, as has Fitchner and Tomlin...But how about this guy, What's your take?

He has to take some blame right? But our 2 lousiest OL IMO have been Pouncey and DD, and they're long time veterans and star ( were ) players... Whatever they've been taught, they haven't forgot since Sarrett has been there!

Big Al also, These 3 are all fading fast...They combined with the other 2 ( Feiler and Okorofor ) being Meh...Not good, not good at all!

Other than Dotson ( who doesn't even play ) except for injury...Who would have thought that our OL could age, and suck and be this bad...

I don't think anybody talked about it, or thought the OL would be this lousy!

2. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Sarrett to me is just another example of the Steelers not doing due diligence to finding the best coach available and more just eh this guy will do. He knows the system.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    He should be fired at the end of season, but he won't be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Another flaw on Tomlin he doesn't know how to choose his coaches. Cowhers boys are gone he can't live off of them anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I thought Dupree's 16 mil$ should have went to shoring up the Oline but up until his injury, Bud had earned that money in my opinion. Unfortunately, that doesn't help the Oline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think our OL is washed up, I don't think it is the coach.

Pouncey, DeCastro, Big Al showing their age.

Still wish we hadn't have lost our depth though...Fred Johnson, Wisnewski, Finney.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Agreed but... There's no way Tomlin would ever BENCH either one of the three...Just like Dotson has clearly outplayed Decastro...He will never replace him until he " is hurt or retires "...So what good is the depth anyhow ..Johnson or Finney wouldn't be playing!

8. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You move Feiler back to fight tackle and put Dotson at left guard. Feiler isn't very good at guard but is good at right tackle. Dotson has not been bad when he's played. Jc hassenauer is not very good. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Would love to see Feiler back at RT and Dotson at LG. I believe the run game would immediately improve.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers need to take a good look at him in the offseason.
    Something is dramatically wrong with this position coach/ run scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I wish Tomlin would end this experiment, no wonder we can't run, all terrible run blockers, with Fieler at left guard, our right tackle, then Jc Hassenauer at center you got not chance to run. Pouncy is not the greatest at run blocking and gets manhandled by bigger stronger nose guards he at least gets a piece of them. JC Hassenauer misses them completely. Need Pouncy back at center, Dotson at left guard and Feller back at right tackle. Wis & Finney would of been a better option at backup center for when Pouncey is injured

13. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020

Agree, have to do better. Sometimes opening a window n getting fresh air does wonders

14. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    You just can't replace a Munchak with some understudy. That being said I feel with a few aging vets and Ben wanting to sling it all over the place the offensive game plan has been finesse. The clock is ticking to salvage some type of running attack. Can't have Ben throwing 50 plus every game. I do feel his elbow is bothering him.

Fitchner needs to be shown the door at the end of the season.

15. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I find it interesting that some of the better running games we had, Kevin Dotson started.

Maybe it's an age thing? I don't know. All I know is we aren't getting any push in the run game.

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I have always liked a big, fast ,big, fast , big OL .. Meaning your strongest guys are Tackles and the Center and your best in space guys at the Guards .. Pouncey should have converted to OG years ago IMO .. With fast Guards this allows them to help Combo block and allows them to pull in both directions thus opening up the playbook for multiple types of traps, sweeps, and counters ..Pouncey playing against big NT'S has took years from his career he is simply not built to take those guys on week after week and year after year..Football 101 if the A gaps get pushed back then the running game is all but dead except for Delay type of runs..If we look back at this season when we did run the ball 90 % of the effective runs were delays..

Most Colleges run 4 and 5 man fronts and line guys up in the A gaps which helps the Center as he is not heads up with a monster NT ,I bet if we look at our running game vs 3-4 Teams over Pounceys career I bet we have had a very tough time running the Football..I am not hating on him he is a great OL I just think he would have been much better at Guard and he would be doing better now had we moved him there..

17. xcodizzlex

xcodizzlex Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The steelers are passing the ball 50+ times and hasnt been sacked in five games and a span of 253 pass attempts. they are calling RPO's so the lineman cannot fire off the ball they are standing straight up. running from the shotgun sucks, I hate it... The line is doing their job of protecting Ben. Missing Pouncey the past 2 weeks has been huge.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020