1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Munchak is missed dearly, watch this.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers304, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Le'veon was obviously was a super good back in his prime, but watch how nasty the Oline was at run blocking. Doesn't seem like long ago. The O-Line does not play with this kind of intensity now, not even in the same realm. Imagine this offense of a few seasons ago paired with the current defense. that would be a SB caliber team no question

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The Offensive Line was a lot younger in 2015 the same. They are getting long in the tooth in 2020. Big Al and Pouncey are the biggest notable names here.

Time to rebuild that unit again. I doubt Big Al is going to be with the team come 2021 anyway. I also give Maurkice Pouncey one more season the same.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    AQL has been nailing his Oline assessment for sometime now.

Al is actually still pretty good in my opinion, however, could be on his way out.

Chuks waiting in the wings as the future LT. He is a terrible run blocker though . Really needs work there.

I will keep saying that Feiler should be at RT because that would open the door for Dotson to come in at LG. Still a rookie but I think Dotson could be one of our best run blockers which could spark our run game. Feiler proved last year he can handle RT.

Both Pouncey and DeCastro are getting old and neither play at a Pro Bowl level anymore. We can still get a couple more years out of them but don't expect elite level play out of them anymore.

Doubt Banner comes back but a capable OT who would be a help in the run game.

I'm fine next year with an online of:

Chuks-Dotson-Pouncey-DeCastro-Feiler.

If we do this, then we don't need to spend a premium pick on an OT. If we're intent on Keeping Feiler at LG and Chuks at RT than we will need a very high pick on a Left Tackle.

It's clear we don't have the RB we need on our roster. Has to be a high priority next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Buck the trend and take a RB higher than they usually do.
    Get that starting talent.

Also go high with fresh O Line help.

Should have kept Wis?

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wis wasn't good

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    While the RB position has been devalued in recent years and some think backs can be found anywhere, look at most of the contenders and you will find a quality back. I like Conner, but feel he is more seviceable than quality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Cracks me up that people pretty much say to a T " Pouncey and DD stink " but...I think we can get a few more years out of them!

lol,If they stink now...WHY would you want a few more years out of them!

I thought Pouncey was done LAST year ..Idk wtf happened to DD...Some kind of lingering injury?He looks slow and weak!

8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Against Balt. DD pulled and opened a nice hole for Snell. I have always thought both DD and Pouncey are better in space when they are moving.
    I don't think either one is a classic road grader people mover. Pouncey has been getting pushed around a lot in the last year or two I think he looks lighter than he was.
    The Steelers post player weight from their first training camp and it never changes thats how snacks was still listed at 315 when everyone could see he was 340 or 350.
    Ben has be 240 for 16 years.

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    How could you tell when he didn't play? He would be a better center right now that what we have had the last two games.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The media said it when he got playing time early in the season, he probably had trouble coming back from that injury he had too.

12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Wis played and started only one game, replacing DeCastro, who was injured. The Steelers rushed for 140 yards that game. The team thought Hassenauer would be better, which was a miscalculation by the coaching staff. Of course I am looking at the facts of one game and 20/20 hindsight. Wis wasn't fully healed when the Steelers needed to activate him, so they unfortunately had a tough decision to make.

13. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
  14. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not that they stink. They're probably just average and certainly not Pro Bowl level anymore.

We aren't going to draft a 1st round Center or 1st round Guard who dont start right away, and there's just no chance we cut Pouncey or DD.

And as I said previously, I think we have higher priorities to fill than the Oline, however, it is starting to be a concern.

15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Who has the best run blocking line?

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Shocking as it seems Cleveland might be near the top. Minnesota is tough to tell if it is highly talented Cook or his oline. Titans with Henry have to be pretty close to number 1. Hard to judge though because teams with running QB's tend to skew the data since you have that to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I definitely agree that a quality RB makes a big difference. It especially depends on the offence. KC doesn't need a top RB, because they don't run much, and when they do, they set up the run with the pass. The Browns, Titans, Vikings, etc. absolutely need their RB's and without them they are nothing. Their entire offence goes through their RB, and as a result, their QB's are finding lots of success.

Ben is showing his age or that injury has taken something away from him. Our offence is terrible. If we revamped it so that our offence ran through the RB, thereby protecting Ben, everyone could end up flourishing.

Tannehill and Cousins are great in their systems, but would they be great with no running game? Very doubtful. A running game ca lead to a very successful passing game. Right now we have neither.

Whatever happens this season, we need a quality RB. It's a priority this off season

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Cleveland.

Then again, that is there M.O. via Kevin Stephanski. All he needed was one major piece to add to that line. Jedrick Willis Jr. has been great all season in his run blocking reps. Very few mental errors in that area.

Next closest one is Minnesota. They also have an Offensive Line that can wear down a team.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I question just how great he is for our team when he moved on to the Titans and I still have the feeling that we gave him far more credit then deserved. Now with Denver and their Oline is rated terrible. Sure it take time but so far having Mike as your Oline coach appears to mean very little.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    As discussed in another thread OLine should be a high priority in the 2021 draft, if the right Guard / Center is there I think that is where they will go.

I was actually hoping they’d bring Banner back next season on a short cheap deal and this would be the line

Chuks, Dotson, Pouncey, Decastro, Banner

A good blocking tight end would be great to have as well.

I hate to say it but if they draft a guard Decastro could be a cut candidate. The cap is predicted to reduce for the first time ever and he is expensive and probably past his best. The Steelers generally treat their veterans very well but they have shown that kind of ruthlessness in the past when they are in a tight spot.

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  23. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    A high RB pick is a waste of a pick when he get hit behind the LOS each carry. Need OL 1st to have somewhere to run. What the hell would a top RB do this year that would be so much different if they were playing for us now? Can't put the cart before the horse. Plus he'll have RF as the OC.

24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    OL has been a real problem for a while. I've been begging for higher OL picks for years. While the salary cap makes every team weak somewhere, with the $ we've given to the OL it can't be this bad. The D will need depth in the next draft but may be set with starters, unless Ben retires we aren't going QB early, even if JSS leaves we don't need a WR high. This should really be an OL based draft and, depending on who is available, I'd very much consider using the first two picks there.

Further, with the salary cap problems we have, and with poor OL play, I've been in favor of cutting a vet. I know the Steeler history with Centers but Pouncey was the top of my list, followed by DD. In the least, I'd start Chuks and Dotson on the left for the rest of the season and see what happens.

No idea what impact OL coaching is really having - sure, it matters - but too many factors for us to know.

RBBC is fine with me and, yes, they need some talent but I believe the group we have would have been good enough behind a better line. That said, I would let JC go unless he came back cheap.

25. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I think the Oline is still playing pretty good. Le'veon was in beast mode in his prime then.

I've been keeping up with Bell with the chiefs and I'm a bit amazed they haven't used him more..

Side note. As I watch recording against Washington and I just saw another 3rd down pass dropped by Ebron! And before posting this I just saw another by Dionte ugh