1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not roll the dice on Clay Mathews?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Now that everyone is Practice Squad eligible, why not bring in Clay Matthews let him sit on the Practice squad for a few weeks getting back into football shape and learning the system and then put him on the field and kick the tires.

I never thought I would see the Steelers make a move at the trade deadline, and their they were this year bringing in Williamson at the trade deadline. So is a late season pickup out of the question?

Why not bring in a veteran like Matthews and see what he has left. Let him backup both Watt and Highsmith if he proves himself ready to go.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    8 sacks 2 ff last year not bad

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Matthews is not going to agree to sit on the practice squad. He had an offer from the Broncos earlier in the season after they lost Miller but they couldn’t agree terms. I doubt he needs the money so it’ll be about the situation for him. Joining an 11-0 team might be attractive but who knows what he is looking for.

Steelers have about $6m cap room afaik. Depending on what Matthews is looking for it wouldn’t be a bad signing as long as he has kept himself in good shape and is ready to go.

4. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I think it could be one of the better moves under the circumstamces. He played well last year for the Goats and has had time to recover from his smashed face.
    How does that work, if someone is signed from outside the organization vs. PS, don’t they have to go through the Covid protocol? How long until he could be available?

5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Honestly, my first thought as well. Really depends on what kind of football shape he's in.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I know SDOT will hammer me for this but I would rather sign Silverback than to see what Clay Mathews III has to offer. In all honesty though, lets get away from the nostalgia and see what the next man up brings to the team. So far Spillane is filling in for Bush better than expected. Highsmith may just do the same as DuPree's back up.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Thought I heard Clay would only come back to a contender, Denver sucks I wouldn't have signed with them either.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They brought in Sharref Miller, former Penn State DE as well as a backup center and OL for a try out. So why contact a proven commodity when there are guys that couldn't catch on to a squad available.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Your wish could come true it this is real.
    https://steelersdepot.com/2020/12/j...p-of-him-getting-examined-by-steelers-doctor/

10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought that was debunked yesterday as Harrison trolling Steelers fans and the only reason he was in Pittsburgh at a doctors office was because that is where his doctor is at. In a city of bridges I think he has burned every one and no way can he and Tomlin coexist in the same locker room

11. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You may be right. SDOT has a thread that is going on 3+ pages on this same subject that I just saw a little while ago. .

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    No on Matthews. If Steelers can win with Spillane replacing Bush... Steelers can win with Highsmith replacing Dupree.

With that said... if we lost Watt, Heyward or Fitzpatrick... we'd be screwed.

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Yeah maybe Tomlin will promise him some playing time and fans can get all worked up whenever he sleeps in meetings and goes rogue.

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

So what you are saying is we would go from being Doomed to being Screwed?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The loss of Bush has hurt the defense. Look at what the run defense was doing before he was hurt and what it has been like since then. Part of that is playing the Ravens twice, but that doesn't account for all of the drop off. The loss of Dupree is going to hurt at least as much, and it isn't just the pass rushing skills they will miss. Highsmith lacks experience, so teams may be able to catch him out of position. He has very little experience in pass coverage, something Dupree does well.

Dupree was also helping to cover for Spillane's weaknesses. This also means more snaps for Adeniyi, who hasn't done much at all.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    So old, out-of-game-shape Clay Matthews would do better? I don't think so.

17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ever since the Titans game, Spillane looks like he gets washed out of quite a few running plays. I think we need to see what Avery has got eventually.

18. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    He has the same problem VWill does, he jumps the first gap he sees and gets swallowed up in the block

19. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We're gonna row with who's in our boat!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I didn't say he would. Perhaps Matthews could bring some value as a situational pass rusher. They need a third body who can actually rush the passer at outside linebacker. Adeniyi certainly hasn't shown he can do that when the games count. My point was that you seemed to be underestimating the impact of the loss of both Bush and Dupree.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. I've been saying all along that they are too similar. He makes some exciting plays, but they really miss having that inside guy who can pursue sideline-to-sideline. That, not pass coverage, was what they needed that Bush gave them.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would have to think that they are just waiting for Williamson to get up to speed before working him in more. Definitely has more range.

• Informative Informative x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I agree, it is not like Matthews has not played for several seasons. We are getting to crunch time in what can be a very special year. I would at least make the call, and sign him in a minute if he passes a physical. Not even thinking so much the regular season, though in that time he can surely get in shape and learn the system. He played in GB, tough, bad weather proven. Had good stats last year behind a very good D line. Next man up is great, but sometimes look outside the box to cover that next man up.

24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    We won't know the impact of the Dupree loss until we see the Football Team, Bills, Bengals games, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Tell the NFL executives that JJ's Mom said that he wants to play with TJ and Derek.
    It would be a feel good story for Super Bowl pregame show.

I would almost guarantee a Super Bowl win.